Easy flange

Moderator: Site Moderator

myles
retired

Re: Easy flange

Post by myles »

olddog wrote:I use 1/4" tubing, you can hammer the angle for the clamp easy.
OD
I bet that works a treat olddog. I just like the look of the brass and copper together. I don't know if it will be needed but it wouldnt be hard to take a grinder to the brass rod to put a bevel on it.

I need to build one of these in the 6" size for the onion on my pot still so at this point I am still experimenting. No doubt though, flaring out the copper tube to make the sealing surface is a damn good idea. Has anyone done the easy flange sight glass yet :?:
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

The next trick I am going to try, is to get a large brass nut they us for commercial plumbing, and with my mini-lathe, I will try and make it into a flange. It will be easy to solder onto 2"tubing and should make a better fit/job. :D

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Damn oldog if you got a lathe you got it made. Just chuck your pipe in the in your flange clamp and tap your flange out then drop some solder on top of the flange as rumbull did in his first post then put it in your lathe and turn it to the propper dimensions. Getting the bottom of the flange perfectly flat is the hardest thing for me.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

pumpman wrote:Damn oldog if you got a lathe you got it made
It's only a small mini-lathe, which is fine for small jobs, but not for big stuff. It only has a 3"chuck and the working area between the centers is only 12".

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Well you can fit a 2" pipe in it. Is the chuck not open through the back?
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
ebstauffer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ebstauffer »

Im curious -- how would you flange both ends? It seems DWV would be too thin to clamp.

ebs
palinkagus
Novice

Post by palinkagus »

If you flare out one end of a piece of pipe, you can just flip it and rest the flare on a soft piece of wood. Insert the flaring tool on the other end and hammer away. No damage to report on the other end as long as you use soft wood.
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

did the easy flange and from someone with no experience and no soldering skills, it doesn't look pretty but i haven't had a leak yet. I used the tubing like OD suggested. While i don't have anything to compare it too, it worked rather easily. Ugly but effective, just like me as people like to tell me. :D
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

banter_king wrote: Ugly but effective, just like me as people like to tell me. :D
so long as yer effective, do aesthetics really matter?
lol
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

that's what i keep telling myself anyway
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
Kiwi-lembic
Swill Maker

Post by Kiwi-lembic »

myles wrote:I am still playing with the brass rod flanges, even though they are a bit harder to work with. I turn the end of the copper tube over to make the mating surface. I am trying to grind a bevel into the brass to make it fit the clamp better as the 4mm rod plus the copper tube thickness is a bit too much for the clamp.

This one is just roughly ground down on the bench grinder as I am going to have to build a jig to finish it off. It is a bit rough still, but shows potential. Besides I like the look of the brass with the copper as an alternative to all copper. :)

nice work myles ..well done ...classy workmanship bud
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Dang thats shiny Myles... Great work as usual man... :clap: :clap: :clap:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Am I correct in thinking that you will be expecting a fair ammount of reflux by the addition of a fan blowing on your spiral riser myles?

Looks great... :thumbup:

EDIT...
Forget that Myles, I just found your thread and bookmarked it... Damn eye's must be getting worst, either that or I need an UJ/ginger ale combo... :crazy:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...