Making Holes in Stainless Stockpots

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: Making Holes in Stainless Stockpots

Post by rad14701 »

With stainless steel it works well to drill as small of a pilot as possible and then increase the drill size... I try to drill a pilot hole using a .125" (1/8") drill or smaller...
Wanker
Novice

Post by Wanker »

P9180016.JPG
On my stock pot lid I started with small drill bits and worked my way up to half inch then I soldered my 2” to 1.5”copper reducer to the lid cented on the half inch hole then flipped the lid over and opened up the half inch hole with a die grinder Carbide Bur Cylinder bit till the hole matched the inside dia of the 2” end of the reducer. With a die grinder those bits go through thin SS like butter but if you don't have one a drill will do it too with that bit, just take longer!
P9180017.JPG
"Alcohol: The source of and solution to all of life’s problems." -Homer Simpson
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

I usually use a smaller bit and drill a series of holes around the inside of where I want the hole. It comes out like a perferated boxtop. Then I take a dremel with a metal rasp on it and zing off the inside circle and that leaves me with about 10 minutes of work with a grinding stone. Simple and easy.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
BanjoTed
Novice

Post by BanjoTed »

While looking into a way to cut a hole into my SS stockpot lid I looked into the IKEA Fixa tool you described in previous post. The tool is actually call a q-max cutter and comes in lots of sizes:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/pro ... %20Cutters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

You still need to drill a central hole but from what I gather from the reviews it leaves a very neat hole with with no burrs etc. so this is what I am going to use. Will let you all know how easy it is to use.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I have a question-
I am making a beer keg boiler. I intend to put a 240 VAC element attached to a 2" ss ferrule welded at the bottom of the keg to heat the boiler. The element is a Dernord bend back?
wavy looking thing. How big of a hole do I need to drill? My thought is about 1 7/8" but if it needs to be smaller that would probably be a plus.
Thank you for your help in advance.
There's no place like home
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm I have a question-How big of a hole do I need to drill?
Tom,

The 2" SS tri-clover ferrule is 2" OD and 1.870" ID.
https://www.gvc.net/p/242/butt-weld-ferrules

You could drill/punch a 2" hole and slide the ferrule in to TIG weld it to the keg. Or, you could grind a "saddle" shape on the ferrule and weld it on and then drill a 1.8125" (1-13/16") hole through the ferrule.

Help you?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Yes it did, that is what I was looking for. THANK YOU
There's no place like home