Got some grains

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ElChupacabra
Novice

Got some grains

Post by ElChupacabra »

Ok, a friend of mine who works at a local brew shop gave me some grains to experiment with. I have 1 lb flaked corn, 1 lb flaked rye, 1 lb flaked oats and finally 1 lb of 6 row. What should I do with these and in what ammounts. So far I have only ran death by wheat germ and all bran, so willing to try something new.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Bushman
Admin

Re: Got some grains

Post by Bushman »

I like Jimbo's AG recipe, just scale it accordingly.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48654
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

That's only 4 LB's of grain. AG would only get about 4 gals to ferment. Hardly enough to justify all the extra work. Would be a better UJSSM style sugar wash.

AC
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

acfixer69 wrote:That's only 4 LB's of grain. AG would only get about 4 gals to ferment. Hardly enough to justify all the extra work. Would be a better UJSSM style sugar wash.

AC
Four pounds of grain is good for two gallons of water... Hardly worth the effort...

Agreed, UJSSM style would be a better option than all grain...
ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

Yep, now that I have read a little bit on all grain recipes I see that there is no reason to mash that tiny amount. I might try a variation of Uncle Jesse's using those grains with some additional corn. Maybe adding the 6 row after the temp falls to 160 or so.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

4lb of grain is about enough for one 750ml bottle after cuts and aging losses are said and done with. Is it worth the time to you?
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Nice way to put it mdh. Not a bad bill. I would drink it.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

True, I was thinking about purchasing more grain to add as I have really liked my results altering Jimbo's method.
ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

Ok, so this is what I did. I modified a sweet feed recipe (I figured sweet feed is just corn, oats, barley and molasses, I just upped it with some rye). I took all of the above grains and mashed them with my buddy's all grain beer brewing kettle. Cooked them for about an hour keeping the heat at 150-160, then sparged them with same temp water (everything was like thick oatmeal and the corn clumped into little gelled clumps(that's good right)). Dissolved about 7 lbs sugar and added about 12-16 OZ molasses in the resulting hot sparge water. Squeezed the grains. and topped off to 6 gal( the resulting mixture was rather thick, but super tasty). Then I added a couple handfuls of cooked grains for some added flavor (hopefully). Dropped the temp to 86 and pitched some 71B 1122 yeast. Its sitting in my garage chugging away. SG was 1.075 or so. While I was doing that I made me a 5 Gal batch of beer (Kolsch), I wonder which one will be done first. Meanwhile I just finished a spirit run with my 10 Gal batch of all bran. Turned out really clean tasting, still working on my cuts, but definitely drinkable. Thanks everyone for all of your help thus far, if I jacked this up let me know. I figured it was free stuff so I didnt have anything to lose.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I assume you got the kettle from the same buddy who gave you the grains. Didn't he give you any tips along the way?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

skow69 wrote:I assume you got the kettle from the same buddy who gave you the grains. Didn't he give you any tips along the way?
Well, he does beer not distilation. We did keep it steady at about 150 or so. Didn't let it get to high to keep from killing the enzymes. I didn't need to cook the grains since it's a sugarwash I just thought cooking them a bit would add a little sugar, and maybe some additional flavor. The original sweet feed recipe just called for boiling water over the grains. So just playing around with a good recipe. If you see something wrong or something that could have been done different, constructive criticism is always welcome.

pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Making booze is the same as making beer, you just dehydrate it afterwards.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

The thing is, it's impossible to troubleshoot your wash as an all grain mash when you're "just playing around with a good recipe." If you are serious about all grain you need more basic understanding of the process than we can give you in one thread. Otherwise you're just in for frustration. I would recommend that you start here. http://homedistiller.org/grain

If that is too much trouble, then there are lots of good sugarhead recipes (like sweetfeed) in the Tried and True forum. Experiment and play around all you like, but when it doesn't work, drop back to the Tried and T%rue version. There is a reason it was written like it was.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

skow69 wrote:The thing is, it's impossible to troubleshoot your wash as an all grain mash when you're "just playing around with a good recipe." If you are serious about all grain you need more basic understanding of the process than we can give you in one thread. Otherwise you're just in for frustration. I would recommend that you start here. http://homedistiller.org/grain

If that is too much trouble, then there are lots of good sugarhead recipes (like sweetfeed) in the Tried and True forum. Experiment and play around all you like, but when it doesn't work, drop back to the Tried and T%rue version. There is a reason it was written like it was.
Your right, like I said about half way down, after doing some reading I realized that that wasn't enough grain for squat. So instead of throwing it out, I thought I would try to mimic sweet feed. The only thing is I didnt really know how much molasses to add, so I guessed. I thought I might as well try to extract a little flavor and the experience by cooking the grains.

I understand that with 7 lbs of sugar this is far from an all grain. Seems to me though it might be close to sweet feed. If it tastes like sharks ass, I will just keep running it until it's neutral.

Thanks for the input, the mash taste great and still is chugging away, can't wait to run it. Hopefully I can get the time to try a real mash some time in the near future.

ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

So a quick update, essentially what I did was a sort of modified sweet feed sugar head. It finished ferment at just under 10%. Ran it the other day and it turned out quite tasty. I will re run the heads and tails, but the hearts are going "in my belly". Pretty much smack you momma good. I put a quart of heads on some red wine cask chips and hope for the best. I'm not sure I like the flavor of the Jack Daniels chips, so I'm not going to use them on this batch. Anyway, thanks for the positive input and advice. I'm getting better every day because of you guys. I think this is the push I needed to start going AG. Just have a lot more research to do first. Thanks guys for the support.