Copper "packing" turned grey/silver

Moderator: Site Moderator

dongtokes
Novice

Copper "packing" turned grey/silver

Post by dongtokes »

My packing I'd basically just 14g copper strand cut into 1" sections and bent in half. Over the course of the day the packing started turning grey and my distillate has the same color grey particles floating on the surface. Is this okay?
rad14701
retired

Re: Copper

Post by rad14701 »

dongtokes wrote:My packing I'd basically just 14g copper strand cut into 1" sections and bent in half. Over the course of the day the packing started turning grey and my distillate has the same color grey particles floating on the surface. Is this okay?
Was this the first time using the stranded copper...??? Had you done a cleaning of the copper before using it...??? Boiling in vinegar and water followed by boiling in water would be a good pre-use cleaning routine if you haven't cleaned it... Some copper wire has oil, varnish, etc, coating the surface...
dongtokes
Novice

Re: Copper "packing" turned grey/silver

Post by dongtokes »

It was cleaned well before use, but I've never used it in the column. Only in the collection jars.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if the first jars are clean, the silver floating stuff is likely fusal oils.

the copper is going to patina quickly in the column. none the less, i'd boil it in some vinegar and water just to clean it up.

you can always make more likker if you decide to throw this batch out.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

dongtokes wrote:.....my distillate has the same color grey particles floating on the surface. Is this okay?
No it is not OK.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.