Slop in the fermenter question

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Slop in the fermenter question

Post by jon1163 »

I'm new to the thumper game. I've ran mine once or twice but only with clear Mash in both upper and a boiler. I have a 15 gallon keg boiler and an 8 gallon keg Thumper.

So let's say I have it all grain honey bear bourbon fermenting. I squeeze all the grains and then I have the mash settle. Usually what I do is charge but the boiler in the thumper with the beer. But I've heard that people put slop in the thumper.

Is the slop spent and squeezed grains mixed with a little beer or is it just that people siphon the beer off the top of the fermenter for the boiler charge and then scoop the slop, yeast and all, and charge the thumper? What's the consistency of the slop in the thumper? Oatmeal? chicken soup?
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: Slop in the fermenter question

Post by ShineRunner »

Everybody does things a little differently, but I don’t squeeze. I have a keg boiler and keg thumper. I siphon off the clear stuff on top of the ferment, let it clear overnight, then put the clear in the boiler. I then put the rest in the thumper and run it. That’s grain, yeast, mucky beer, etc in the thumper.

Some people say that they can taste yeast in the distillate, but I haven’t noticed it. This is basically how commercial distilleries strip, so I’m not sure how they feel about that..

SR