what cool thing do you do with leftover solder

Moderator: Site Moderator

thatguy1313
Distiller

Re: what cool thing do you do with leftover solder

Post by thatguy1313 »

Nice work frodo! Very similar to my coal forge. The only difference is I just used home made refractory cement instead of the brake drum. I use a bathroom exhaust fan for an air source. From the fan there is a three inch pipe to a 3x2x2 tee. Off the tee going down is a short section of 2" pipe and an ash dump. Going up from the tee is 2" pipe to a 2" tee. Short sections of 2" pipe from each side of the tee are drilled with holes to supply air flow. The 2" in the actual forge is sunk halfway down into the refractory cement to protect it from the heat.
I have to mention that if you do build a forge DO NOT use galvanized steel. When it gets hot it will put off toxic funds and you will die a very unpleasant death. There is no safe way to use galvanized and if you inhale the fumes there is no treatment and you won't get better. You will die. So, stainless steel only.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

regular steel is fine, I learned a little trick years ago when i was the guy galvanizing the nails for dickerson nail co.

drink milk, the milk counter acts something with the galvanizing.

I am NOT saying burn galvanized metal, if you run into it, cant help it, drink milk
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

thatguy1313 wrote:Nice work frodo! Very similar to my coal forge. The only difference is I just used home made refractory cement instead of the brake drum. I use a bathroom exhaust fan for an air source. From the fan there is a three inch pipe to a 3x2x2 tee. Off the tee going down is a short section of 2" pipe and an ash dump. Going up from the tee is 2" pipe to a 2" tee. Short sections of 2" pipe from each side of the tee are drilled with holes to supply air flow. The 2" in the actual forge is sunk halfway down into the refractory cement to protect it from the heat.
I have to mention that if you do build a forge DO NOT use galvanized steel. When it gets hot it will put off toxic funds and you will die a very unpleasant death. There is no safe way to use galvanized and if you inhale the fumes there is no treatment and you won't get better. You will die. So, stainless steel only.

i like the idea of yours. the refractory cement gives you shallower heat pot.

i have my eye on a disc from a harrow as my next project
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Yeah, mild steel will work but my forge is in a lean-to in the backyard. Trying to prevent rust using stainless. Honestly I use my propane forge more often just because of the convenience of lighting it and heat up time. It's smaller but I don't work on any really large pieces.

Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

thatguy1313 wrote:Woo, you'd need a ceramic crucible to melt steel for casting a knife. Not worth the time or effort. You need a forge and raw steel to make a knife. Easy steel to learn on is old files or leaf springs or coils from suspension systems. Forging doesn't involve melting the steel. Just heading and reforming. Course there's a lot more to making a good knife than that but I've made dozens of knives and never melted any steel ... on purpose :oops: :lol:
+1 Thatguy1313
You can layer the steel and "weld" those layers together by heating and hammering.
A powerhammer, will ease the work...otherwise you will train your arm seriously.. 8)

The only castings i have made , where in relativly soft material...copper,aluminium, brass etc...
Pouring a cast with steel, requires a lot more heat, plus special crucibles that can withstand the heat applied.
I wouldn't go that expensive way for hobby projects like the once we do.
My little furnace almost looks like the one in the video Bear posted...it's heated by a Babington burner on waste oil.
Had some 10mm copper from a previous project (refluxcoil i fumbled with), so i made a preheat coil for the oil before it gets sprayed through the nozzle.
For a cold start i help it to temperature with a propane burner.
Once it's on workingtemperature it just keeps itself alive (needs my small compressor as a airsource though).
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

you can make a FINE ASS knife out of old files.

go to swap meets and garage sales. pawn shops

buy the old files, argue with them,,It is a wore out file, give you a dollah!!!

if you want to get into knife making, you are going to need a belt sander
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

frodo wrote:you can make a FINE ASS knife out of old files.

go to swap meets and garage sales. pawn shops

buy the old files, argue with them,,It is a wore out file, give you a dollah!!!

if you want to get into knife making, you are going to need a belt sander
+1 on the old files. However you do not NEED a belt sander to make a good knife. It helps a lot but you can absolutely make an excellent knife with just some files and a lot of elbow grease. I made a lot of knives with a disc sander attachment for a cordless drill. If you want to make more than one or two knives you probably do want a bench top belt sander. It does make life easier but it's not entirely necessary.

frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

that is true. the old masters only had a hammer and a rock stone grind wheel
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

think if/when i decide to go for it ill cast aluminim and soft metals and go to a class or have someone else teach me to make a knife.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I mix in a little lead and make toy solders for the neboirhood kids....o
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

I want to pour lead down an ant hole, then dig it up
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Aluminium is better and safer, Frodo..it has also a better structural integrity, lead will tend to bend.
Except from the pellets for my BB gun, i don't have any lead at all. It's one of the most poisonous metals you can handle.
What ever your choice may be, be aware of the fumes...especially from the lead..
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

+1 on the alum.

I think lead is more valuable than aluminum anyways. Best save it for reloading and fishing weight. Plus, it's not hard to find enough cans to cast an ant hill.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

i think i will try it with aluminum, could be fun

I have been pouring lead and oakum joints for over 30 years,

YES, plumbers still do that, us old ones anyway.

here is Frodo's walking stick, I use it for hiking around the Shire

the wood is pine, that has been heat treated over a fire, the end has been drilled out and 5 ounds of lead poured into it.
this stick is as stout as a baseball bat and as deadly. 5' long 2'' on one end and 1 1/4 on the other
walking stick 001.JPG
walking stick 002.JPG
walking stick 003.JPG