A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Post by Jes2xu »

Klein wrote:did you use any baffles in your shotgun?
Nope, I thought about it. In the end I decided that it would add extra complexity. Risk + time vs reward was not high enough for me to try it on a first time build. If I was to remake it I may give it some more thought.

I also thought that 5 x 15x500mm was probably plenty to knock down most of what I am going to need anyway.

. . . . . but . . .. it remains to be tested haha.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Looking good Jes, have to add that adding a couple of baffles wouldn't of been that hard. Might even of helped holding everything together.
here is one of my shotgun builds http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=30

Keep up the good work
OVZ
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

True.

My issue was I knew the 50mm copper was not in perfect condition. So I was worried hat I wouldnt be able to make the internals then push them through.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Jes2xu wrote:True.

My issue was I knew the 50mm copper was not in perfect condition. So I was worried hat I wouldnt be able to make the internals then push them through.
That's what hammers are for :D

OVZ
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice progress!.. Yes the Innis and Gunn style beer is tasty.. just force carb'd and ut a keg in the kegerator. Its darker than the original but very similar.. not a clone but inspired bye.. sipping on a glass as I type this..

Your a long ways from me but if you get close to me let me know and I will have a pint waiting... and maybe some other stuff too.. to sip on.

B
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Jes2xu wrote: Risk + time vs reward was not high enough for me to try it on a first time build.
Jes2xu wrote: ...try it on a first time build.
Jes2xu wrote:... first time build.

...the definition of RABBIT HOLE!

Calling it a first-time build suggests that there will be a second(and probably third, fourth, fifth.)

The fact that you have made several mistakes and easily persevered through them suggests to me you fit right in with the hobby. Keep on keeping on!

No turning back now, you are past the point of no return... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:True.

That's what hammers are for :D

OVZ
HAHAHA

. . . I must admit I thought about it! But was worried about the fragility of my brazing haha.
bitter wrote:Nice progress!.. Yes the Innis and Gunn style beer is tasty.. just force carb'd and ut a keg in the kegerator. Its darker than the original but very similar.. not a clone but inspired bye.. sipping on a glass as I type this..

Your a long ways from me but if you get close to me let me know and I will have a pint waiting... and maybe some other stuff too.. to sip on.
Sounds good to me! Sounds tasty to me.
Must admit my brewing vigour has dropped off a little since starting the distilling research/build. Im sure things will reach equilibrium once I have a few runs under my belt :)
rgreen2002 wrote:
...the definition of RABBIT HOLE!

Calling it a first-time build suggests that there will be a second(and probably third, fourth, fifth.)

The fact that you have made several mistakes and easily persevered through them suggests to me you fit right in with the hobby. Keep on keeping on!

No turning back now, you are past the point of no return... :mrgreen:
Oh yeah . . . . im screwed! haha. At the very least there will be ongoing evolution and "add-ons". But I tend to think there will be a small fleet of varying stills given enought time haha.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

A little late . . .

But a vinegar run finally :)

BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Very nice vid. Any plans to replace the flour paste with more ferrules+triclamps? Everything else in your rig is very solid and modular.

Also, any chance you'll try and get a large sightglass to clamp over the filling port instead of a solid plate...just because it'd be neat?
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Lookin good Jes! I will usually hand wash any parts I can first. A light soap and water mix will knock down oils possibly present on the copper or SS. Then acid, vinegar, and EtOH. Sometimes I will hand wash a few times.

I like the scrubber tool!! Be sure to show us how you made it!

Also.... you insulated the boiler, what about the column? It loses a lot of heat there and simple pipe foam insulation works well.

As far as safety....great idea on the fire extinguisher ( I have a few myself). PLEASE mention next week during the EtOH cleaning run that high proof alcohol can burn nearly invisible in regular or sunlight. You may not even know there is a fire until it's too late (one of the biggest reasons I push for electric).

As for the leaks - Teflon tape will be your best friend!!! (watch the kinks in your condenser tubing too... :mrgreen: ) A 90-degree elbow at the water inlet/outlet will keep tubing kink free (and decrease back pressure and leaking)
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

BDF wrote:Very nice vid. Any plans to replace the flour paste with more ferrules+triclamps? Everything else in your rig is very solid and modular.

Also, any chance you'll try and get a large sightglass to clamp over the filling port instead of a solid plate...just because it'd be neat?

Thanks man.

Yep I had flour paste in 3 spots ( I think haha) .

Base of the column Because I didn't have a gasket for it. I have a specialty one (one side flat one with nipple) coming on a slow boat. But I may just cut a normal one down with a razor to fit the keg ferrule in the mean time. It was a bit wobly.

Bottom of the coil extension. I just didnt have enough gaskets and clamps haha. It already has a ferrule brazed on :)

Top of that extension. It wont ever have a cap on it (only used for CCVM). So I just pasted a make do cap on to blast the vinegar through.

Sight glass . . . . . yes yes yes! I will look into that once everything is operational! It would be pretty cool :)

rgreen2002 wrote:Lookin good Jes! I will usually hand wash any parts I can first. A light soap and water mix will knock down oils possibly present on the copper or SS. Then acid, vinegar, and EtOH. Sometimes I will hand wash a few times.

Yeah, I hit everything with an acid soak and scrub. And most of it with a PBW soak scrub. But I think I should have done a better job of that now I think about it.

I like the scrubber tool!! Be sure to show us how you made it!
haha, it actually worked well. Especially for the middle of the longer bits.

Also.... you insulated the boiler, what about the column? It loses a lot of heat there and simple pipe foam insulation works well.
Yeah, that was pretty much the spirit of the moment. I need to look into it some more. I think I will insulate most of the verticle parts eventually.

As far as safety....great idea on the fire extinguisher ( I have a few myself). PLEASE mention next week during the EtOH cleaning run that high proof alcohol can burn nearly invisible in regular or sunlight. You may not even know there is a fire until it's too late (one of the biggest reasons I push for electric).
Very good point! I will do that for sure.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

look up everlast seal. its basically cardboard with ptfe tap wraped around it for your seal. I use 4 of them in my system 1x2" and 2x3"

B
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

bitter wrote:look up everlast seal. its basically cardboard with ptfe tap wraped around it for your seal. I use 4 of them in my system 1x2" and 2x3"

B

I may have made one of these last night . . . . :)

Although I didn't really follow a guide I had just heard of the concept and winged it. Will make sure I have done things properly before doing a "real" run.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Jes, I have a piece of sheet copper cut out the same size of the ID and OD of the ferrules and wrapped it in Teflon tape and never had any problems EVER!!!
On my last build I ordered the triclamp with ferrules and gasket in a combination (slightly cheaper) so I took a razor blade and skimmed off the lip of one side and it works like a charm.
Ima take a few hours after work one night and start at the beginning of this thread to see what I've missed and catch up from the beginning of your build and progress.

I was sceptical at first when you opened this thread but from what I've read and seen I can see you're for real and genuine in your efforts.

Thank you for doing this and showing the world what we can do safely in our homes and garages.
I wish I could go online without repercussions of our government and show this pretty face. Lol

Thanks again,
Shine0n
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Shine0n wrote:Jes, I have a piece of sheet copper cut out the same size of the ID and OD of the ferrules and wrapped it in Teflon tape and never had any problems EVER!!!
On my last build I ordered the triclamp with ferrules and gasket in a combination (slightly cheaper) so I took a razor blade and skimmed off the lip of one side and it works like a charm.

Interesting!! I had thought about whether that would be a good idea. In the end I went with cardboard. But perhaps I will do that too.

I was sceptical at first when you opened this thread but from what I've read and seen I can see you're for real and genuine in your efforts.
Fair enough man. Unfortunately one of those platforms where a little scepticism is well warranted! haha

Thanks again,
Shine0n
Its been pretty cool so far. Its a lot of time to get videos out regularly. But I'm getting better at streamlining the process. And the support and knowledge that people have hooked me up with is amazing! Hopefully, it will help spread that knowledge around for other noobs too :)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Cleaning run done! Finally get to move onto actually making something drinkable :)

Can't wait! Thanks again to everyone. There is no way I would have been able to get things going without all the help from here :) Respect.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey Jes,

Enjoyed the vid! It's exciting...right? You got the fever...I can hear it in the videos.

Thanks for dropping the safety info too... I think that it will become evident that that is just as important as the product as you move forward! Keeping people safe is the only way this hobby will ever become globally legal.

A few last things.... please be sure to thoroughly WASH those alcohometers and thermometer. Just like you wouldn't want to drink the product.... putting things into the product might not be the healthiest either! :mrgreen:

Following a sac run I will usually scrub and then citric acid soak the parts...one last shot at OCD... After that, I usually just do a good rinse and that is the end of it all. YMMV

When you do collect product, the collection point (the "spout") should not be buried in the jar like it was on your taller collection jar. The vapor can coalesce in the jar and for people who are using an open flame, it is a fire risk. The small beaker was perfect... just a little space between the spout and the jar opens the vapor to air and allows it to dissipate more rapidly.

As far as what to do with the product. I always keep my fores and heads... they make great window cleaner and other such jobs! The tails I don't keep as often usually because I run the still into the ground at around 20-30% ABV... it's too weak for cleaning. You may, however, want to throw your collected EtOH away this time as it is "tainted". Believe me...there will be plenty more in the near future for you.

What are your plans for your first real run??? I am a big fan of Birdwatchers.... so easy to do and has a nice simple flavor to it! Good luck!
HD Glossary - Open this
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

rgreen2002 wrote:Hey Jes,

Enjoyed the vid! It's exciting...right? You got the fever...I can hear it in the videos.

Thanks for dropping the safety info too... I think that it will become evident that that is just as important as the product as you move forward! Keeping people safe is the only way this hobby will ever become globally legal.

A few last things.... please be sure to thoroughly WASH those alcohometers and thermometer. Just like you wouldn't want to drink the product.... putting things into the product might not be the healthiest either! :mrgreen:

Following a sac run I will usually scrub and then citric acid soak the parts...one last shot at OCD... After that, I usually just do a good rinse and that is the end of it all. YMMV

When you do collect product, the collection point (the "spout") should not be buried in the jar like it was on your taller collection jar. The vapor can coalesce in the jar and for people who are using an open flame, it is a fire risk. The small beaker was perfect... just a little space between the spout and the jar opens the vapor to air and allows it to dissipate more rapidly.

As far as what to do with the product. I always keep my fores and heads... they make great window cleaner and other such jobs! The tails I don't keep as often usually because I run the still into the ground at around 20-30% ABV... it's too weak for cleaning. You may, however, want to throw your collected EtOH away this time as it is "tainted". Believe me...there will be plenty more in the near future for you.

What are your plans for your first real run??? I am a big fan of Birdwatchers.... so easy to do and has a nice simple flavor to it! Good luck!

Thanks as always for the sweet ass info :)
And BTW, as a rule I will not use names or specifics for people that help me out on reddit and forums. But always happy to mention by name if you want.

I one of Teddysad's FFV's planned for next weeks vid. That should let me do a stripping run the week after and the spirit run the week after that (in YT land time anyway haha).
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice job in getting your sac run finished :thumbup: :thumbup:

OVZ
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Another vid, another good example to point people towards when they ask.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Nice job in getting your sac run finished :thumbup: :thumbup:

OVZ
Thanks man :) . . . . and now my brain is boggling with possibilities haha
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

BDF wrote:Another vid, another good example to point people towards when they ask.
wow . . . thanks, man. That's high praise for me!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Well done! love the take a drink moment.. made the point really well.

Your almost there.. one the nicer easier recipes to do is UJSSM I added abotu 5-10% rye to mine was very tasty. did a bunch of generations... good first step and will help you lean to do cuts..

Once you goo all grain cuts almost have to be relearned again.

B
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Jes2xu wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:Hey Jes,

Thanks as always for the sweet ass info :)
And BTW, as a rule I will not use names or specifics for people that help me out on reddit and forums. But always happy to mention by name if you want.

I one of Teddysad's FFV's planned for next weeks vid. That should let me do a stripping run the week after and the spirit run the week after that (in YT land time anyway haha).
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

bitter wrote:Well done! love the take a drink moment.. made the point really well.

Your almost there.. one the nicer easier recipes to do is UJSSM I added abotu 5-10% rye to mine was very tasty. did a bunch of generations... good first step and will help you lean to do cuts..

Once you goo all grain cuts almost have to be relearned again.

B

Haha thanks man. Had to put a little cheese in there ;)

Yeah I DEFINITELY want to do a UJSM. It's kinda legendary! And I love rye in beer. Im thinking I will love it in this too.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

bitter wrote:Well done! love the take a drink moment.. made the point really well.

B
Yea that had me going for about a millisecond- almost WTF

OVZ
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Oldvine Zin wrote:

B
Yea that had me going for about a millisecond- almost WTF

OVZ
HAHA yes! Gotcha ;)
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Some nice wood you got a hold of, but you're gonna find it's not gonna sate your needs pretty quick. Put down 6-7 one-pint jars on oak, and you'll learn that 6 months to a year of aging will leave you wanting more oak sticks for aging while previous batches are still ongoing. Each of those sticks looks to be about the size recommended by many for a qty of one each for pint-size jars of spirit.

There are many threads on oak aging, but this one in particular worked well for me: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... n#p7076067
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

BDF wrote:Some nice wood you got a hold of, but you're gonna find it's not gonna sate your needs pretty quick. Put down 6-7 one-pint jars on oak, and you'll learn that 6 months to a year of aging will leave you wanting more oak sticks for aging while previous batches are still ongoing. Each of those sticks looks to be about the size recommended by many for a qty of one each for pint-size jars of spirit.

There are many threads on oak aging, but this one in particular worked well for me: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... n#p7076067

THanks man! Will need to check that thread out in full! And yeah I will be looking for a source for "raw" wood still. Just nice to have a little of everything to experiment with ASAP.

May put a little of this on some wood too ;)
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

You're on your way!! A few days out from joining the club it would seem.
HD Glossary - Open this