A Glass of Waragi Please Barman....(Eh...Better Not)...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Samohon
retired

A Glass of Waragi Please Barman....(Eh...Better Not)...

Post by Samohon »

Heres a disturbing article on Ugandan moonshine. Found it whilst browsing for info on foriegn drinks.
The woman is actually distilling enguli. Can't be good for you :esurprised: Scary Stuff..
_____________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Heres the link --->> Ugandan Waragi Likker!

Sorry if its already been posted... Cant see it here though...

S.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: A Glass of Waragi Please Barman....(Eh...Better Not)...

Post by Dnderhead »

Nice, but as most, they do not give enough detail, as whereis all the methanol coming from, do they ferment skins and all or is it added.
apparently not taking off fore shots,but even so that whould account for a big hangover,not blindness,death.there just has to be more.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Sounds more like the plastic is leaching into the alcohol.
Combine that with greedy cuts(or none at all) and you have all the makings for blindness and death.
The drink is packaged in cheap sachets sometimes as small as 100 ml and costing as little as 10 cents,
I cant think of anything OTHER than plastic that could be formed into pouch and hold liquid...damn. Over time, that has GOT to add up.

The methanol poisoning may be from someone trying to make a quick and dirty dollar. Maybe they got a weak batch and mixed in some meth to give it some kick.
I cant imagine doing that to someone.

SB
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

just as in US not all is told, Before prohibition, you could go to your local pharmacy/store and buy grain alcohol.(to be used as a disinfectant) many bought this and mixed with something for flavor much like punch,(bathtub-gin) during prohibition, this was still going on so the "law" decided to do something about it, they "denatured " without telling anyone. useing many different things,some just did not taste good others down right poison.this led to many death/blindness. after finding out some tryed to remove the chemicals some could and some could not be removed .this led to "home made is bad" you still do not see this mentioned in any articles nor do they admit it.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

I had read somehwere that they poisoned it deliberatley to add credance to people being harmed by homemade...pretty sad really.
ScottishBoy
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Sbeghan
Novice

Post by Sbeghan »

I love how Time makes it out to be an issue with home distillers. I got the feeling from the Time article that the author wasn't really knowledgeable about it and had an axe to grind.

Here's a much better article on it from a Ugandan news site.
http://www.independent.co.ug/index.php/ ... n-drinking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
SP Ssebambulidde says the raw material stocks for making waragi ran out and people are resorting to chemically processed alcohol to meet the increased demand.
Seems that local licensed producers couldn't supply demand so either one of them or a distributor started spiking the product with methanol to meet demand/turn a profit. This has nothing to do with home distillers.
Sbeghan
Novice

Post by Sbeghan »

ScottishBoy wrote:I had read somehwere that they poisoned it deliberatley to add credance to people being harmed by homemade...pretty sad really.
Considering that this is the nation where the people in power (and conservative busybodies there and in the US instigate such things) think its ok to make a law where being gay is punishable by death...
I would not be surprised if the moral authorities also decided that poisoning people to get them to stop drinking was A-OK. After all, it happened in the US too.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Quick ... somebody get her a Mentor :shock: Discouraged, bd.
I do all my own stunts
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Someone should feel guilty about selling her that still on eBay for $995... :twisted:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I'm wondering what funky stuff that barrel had in it before using as a boiler?
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

rad14701 wrote:Someone should feel guilty about selling her that still on eBay for $995... :twisted:
+1 Rad LOL...
Wonder if it came with a money back guarantee, postage would not be the only thing that was crippling.... :esad:

S.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Samohon wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Someone should feel guilty about selling her that still on eBay for $995... :twisted:
+1 Rad LOL...
Wonder if it came with a money back guarantee, postage would not be the only thing that was crippling.... :esad:

S.
They knew she couldnt take them up on the money back if she was dead...:(
ScottishBoy
MountainWilliam Bill
Novice

Post by MountainWilliam Bill »

Just wanted to add something pertinent to this old post...I just watched this exposé on youtube (VICE) about waragi. Pretty interesting how they just sit around and drink in the afternoon. So like us, yet an ocean and continent away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3UHF5SlEU

Looks very dirty, just what I expected. But it must be good enough to do the job!
If you can't drink it, BURN IT!
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

this is worth a look, a more modern way of making Waragi
https://youtu.be/LDtcRnIhzi8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Squint wrote:this is worth a look, a more modern way of making Waragi
https://youtu.be/LDtcRnIhzi8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Interesting.
I made a 5 gallon wash last year which used about 3 or 4 times the bananas (along with some corn, distiller's barley malt and sugar mixed in too). I didn't use any enzymes though, other than what was in the malt. That batch turned out particularly well but didn't last last too long because it was enthusiastically consumed.

Bananas (and coconuts) are considerably less acidic than grapes. For this 2 gallons of wash shown in the video, I think the guy should have added at least a tablespoon or more of lemon juice.

A couple of other suggestions I might add:

- is to let the bananas ripen a bit more or use some pectic enzyme. Showing some black spots means pectin in the banana is breaking down; but don't wait too long because the buttery, banana fragrance will dissipate from the fruit if it becomes overripe.
- I would not have bothered to strain out the pulp, which can cling onto a considerable amount of ethanol. Since he only extracted enough liquid to fill his pot half way in this example, he still had room to add a little water to prevent scorching if he was worried. Besides; the pulp was floating on top of the wine, before he strained it out. In this case the pulp (while cooking) might never have made contact with the bottom of the pot anyway.
Omnia mea mecum porto