Amazed and Relieved

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olddog
retired

Amazed and Relieved

Post by olddog »

As some of the older generation will attest to, as you get older the body starts to wear. About a year ago, in an attempt to keep fit in my older years I bought a treadmill and excersise bike to keep fit. I turned out that I damaged a cartilage in my knee through this excersise program. After visiting doctors, taking painkillers and anti inflamitary drugs, having rays etc in an attempt to find the cause and control the pain without success. I finally went to see an orthopedic surgeon who arranged for me to have an MRI scan, which revealed the tear in the cartilage, I was informed that this would not heal itself, and surgery was the only answer. With reluctance I agreed to have the surgery which happened yesterday, I had not had surgery for 60 years when I had my appendix out as a 7 year old, and my memory dosn't go back that far.
To my amazement, when I came round from the anasthetic, I did not think I would be able to walk with crutches or some sort of walking aid, I got out of the bed and was able to put my full weight on the joint without pain, thinking they might have given me something to prevent the pain I could experience, I was expecting this to wear off, Just like when you go to the dentist, and after a few hours the pain of the dental surgery returns.
It is now 16 hours after surgery, I had the best nights sleep for a year, and the only pain I experienced for the whole procedure was the slight prick when they put the drip into the vein on my hand, which was no more painfull than an ordinary injection.

HAPPY NOW :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Amazed and Relieved

Post by LWTCS »

Good news OD.
I had a knee scoped about 10 or 12 years ago and it friggin hurt very badly after the surgery. Pissed me right the F*** off as it felt worse than when I went in.

You'll be doin the cancan in no time I recon :lol:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Glad to here the extent of success you're having with the surgery, olddog... But don't get carried way with the Happy Dance just yet...
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Good luck with yer recovery OD. Glad everything went well.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Good news OD. You'll soon be able to get back on the treadmill. :lol: :lol: :lol:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

Good to see that your recovery is getting that fast OD. :D

Can't await to see final results of your latest still built.

Joe
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Yes I am amazed that there is no pain from the operation, just a bit of neausia from the anesethetic . I have to keep the bandages on for 12 days and then visit the surgeon to have the stitches removed, so I won't be building much for a while. Btw I have been a one legged builder for nearly a year now, but I am going to follow proceedure, as a few more days is not going to make a difference. I have done a run with Birdwatchers neutral, which turned out good, but being a neutral I can't comment on flavor.

OD
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

This old fart knows what you are talking about. That is good news, and do not pay any attention to blanikdog. Stay off that treadmill.

Bert
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Excellent news Olddog!
Im quite impressed with the advance of science and Im glad to see it has benefited you. When I had my first heart attack, they catheterized me and I had to have a 20 pound bag od sand on my leg for two days to make sure they artery. Six months later I had to have it done again and they decided to try a newly designed arterial punch that seals the artery on extraction. No stitches needed. It did this by making ragged edges that were designed to knit quicker. No sandbags, I just wore a wrap for 12 hours.

I am continually amazed at how fast the advances come.

But more importantly Im happy to hear your leg feels better! Congrats!
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

So does this mean we can't call you Hoppy anymore? :( :mrgreen:

Good to hear you are back on both feet.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I thought it was too good to be true, Its now the fourth day after the operation, and I am sore!!!!!!!and did not sleep too good, I think the must load you up with long lasting pain killers and now their wearing off. Oh well I guess things will only get better.

Not happy OD
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Give it some time for the swelling to adjust and the fluids to move around. You should be feeling better in a few weeks.
My body doesnt always recover as fast as I want it to...;)
ScottishBoy
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Good news Hopp, sorry OD, glad to hear everything went well. :D
I have heard that walking round your still gently increases recovery.... :esurprised: :esurprised: :esurprised:

Take it easy man.... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

How's the leg going, OD?
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Pretty good now Gra: it was a bit sore for a while, but it's getting better by the day. Larry had the same OP a while back and reckoned it takes about 6 weeks to feel normal, I reckon that's about right.

OD
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

You'll be chasin Nurses in no time!
"Helloooooooo Nurse!"
ScottishBoy
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I'm married to one. :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

OD
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

6 weeks till light duty for me.
Took a lot longer till I had full range of motion and full strenth.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Sounds like we're all getting old and falling apart... And that's part of why we need to keep the nostalgia of home distillation alive, lest we forget...
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

I'll second that rad.

Bert
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

About 5 years ago I tore the miniscus in two places 2km into a 16km ruckmarch. I wouldn't quit and probably did more damage but the troops were following my lead so whaddaya do? Got a scope done and they sewed them up, scraped the bumps off and vacuumed out the chips too. Had a week medical leave. It was awesome! I had NO pain and never took a single pill. The leg was stiff and after three days took the bandages off and could barely see the 3 pin pricks where they went in. (played video games until the wife and kids got home then put on my best puppydog eyes and went to bed hehehe)

Now I'm on permanent catagory on a "can but should avoid" nature. So I don't do sports or ruckmarch etc. The down side is I'm starting to put on a few pounds. My only complaint though is I can only stand or sit for a short period. Do either too long (over 10-15minutes) and my knees ache. I've got a lot of busted up parts in my body due to the military but it's part of it I guess. (each ache has a memory, that was yugoslavia, that was manouvers, that was...)

Hope your back on your feet dancing better than before! :ebiggrin:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

goinbroke2 wrote:(played video games until the wife and kids got home then put on my best puppydog eyes and went to bed hehehe)
Occasionally I will mow the lawn on setting six, speed 5 with no mulch. Takes about 45 minutes. Then I let the wife think it took as long as speed 3 with setting. Ahem. Usually gets me a few hours of "me time", or "Game time" or "Dog Time" or "research time"....sometimes "nap time with the dog"....
:P
ScottishBoy
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

ScottishBoy, has Oscar got you trained yet?

Bert
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

olddog wrote:I'm married to one. :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: OD

You lucky bugger. I had to do all my own catheter jobs. Made grown men tremble. lol

Note: Avoid bladder cancer at all costs. :)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

blanikdog wrote:
olddog wrote:I'm married to one. :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: OD

You lucky bugger. I had to do all my own catheter jobs. Made grown men tremble. lol

Note: Avoid bladder cancer at all costs. :)

I hear liver failure will prevent that. That's what I'm going for.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

rubber duck wrote:You lucky bugger. I had to do all my own catheter jobs. Made grown men tremble. lol
The only trouble with being married to a nurse, is that you never get sympathy for your ailments, they are so used to dealing with major cases, the only time you will get sympathy is if you are dying. :(

OD
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

ammo man wrote:ScottishBoy, has Oscar got you trained yet?

Bert
Yes. He is training me to be consistent with him. He is a smart boy. He can repeat anything after he has done it once, provided it isnt something you actually want him to do.
ScottishBoy
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Hey brother, I had the same surgery and am 12 weeks out. The knee feels great better than it has in a long long time. Hell I can carry 10 gallons of wash to the boiler now with no problems....
Good luck, sounds like your on your way
KS