How cheap was gas?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

How cheap was gas?

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

How cheap can you personally remember gas being in days gone past? I remember when in my part of Kentucky it was 37.9 cents, how about you?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: How cheap was gas?

Post by LWTCS »

.40 in Fla.

Guess I was 6 or so.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

can remember when the gas stations would have price wars and gas would run as low as 15 16 cents a gallon when it normally was 20 cents.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

1968 i pumped the gas, washed the windows, checked the oil, and tire pressure. 17 cents a gallon. pacific north west. cob
edit: carton of camels was $4.00
be water my friend
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

.65 in Mississippi. MM
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I remember bitching when it went from 12.9 cents to 13.5 a litre
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

I worked in a gas station in Wis. in early 60's, washed windows, checked oil for $.75 /hr. and gas was .299/gal.
myerfire
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

14c a gallon when the gas wars were going strong, regularly 19c+- gal. Reclaimed (or whatever they called it) motor oil was about the same price per quart. -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

14c a gallon when the gas wars were going strong, regularly 19c+- gal. Reclaimed (or whatever they called it) motor oil was about the same price per quart.
Me too heynonny.

One fast recollection. I was on my way home from college late one evening way out on a country highway in a 1946 Ford around 1958 or 59 when I noticed I was about out of gas. I pulled into an old country store/station and the owner, an old tobacco chewing man, came out. For you youngster back then the owner or a worker pumped the gas for you. He asked how much. All I had to my name was a quarter so I told him 25 cents worth. I will never forget that old man turning his head a little, spitting, getting tobacco juice all over his chin and saying, "What the hell you trying to do? Wean It." BTW that bought me almost two gallons. Gone are those days.

Bert
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

cob wrote: carton of camels was $4.00
Was in line at a grocery store and the guy in front of me bought a caron of Marlboro lights for $76 and some change.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Best I can remember ( with reasonable accuracy) was .49 a gallon.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

25 cents a Canadian Gallon( 160 ounces vs 128) when I was kid in Saskatchewan.

I also remember purple farm gas at 18 cents a gallon, which was bronze gas as we callled it back there with an added purple dye so that farmers could buy it to run in thier farm equipment (tractors and combines).

Only trouble was that they also put it in the car and trucks without the F liscence (stands for Farmer) so the police were always checking on what gas you were using. You could tell becasue the exhaust had a distinct colour from the dye. Some folks would run two tanks, with a hidden switch to switch back and forth, as wel as putting in a screen in the tank with the purple (non taxed) gas. Frustrated the hell out of the police as they knew youwere running pruple gas but needed a sample to convict you. THe only sample they coulgd get was from the tank without the screen and it was legit gas.