Arc welding cast iron

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olddog
retired

Arc welding cast iron

Post by olddog »

Are there any welders out there who can advise me whether you can weld cast iron with a stick welder? I want to make a new base for my burner and I would like the burner to be welded into position.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Arc welding cast iron

Post by blanikdog »

I did a welding course when I finished my fitter/machinist apprenticeship many eons ago OD, and we were unable to actually weld CI then although I always got excellent results using bronze on repairs to CI machinary, although there was always a lot of pre heating and slow cooling preparation.

From what you have described though I reckon you could bronze weld it OK.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I have only got a stick welder, and a mapp torch, :esad: :esad: :esad: :esad:

OD
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

hmmmmmm In that case, ignore all the above. :(
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

yes it can be done not easy tho,, and after no guarantees as even if you do a good job, Id be afraid of expansion of the two different metals, if at all possible I would suggest to use some sort of clips..
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Dnderhead wrote:I would suggest to use some sort of clips..
Yep, I think that that's the way I will go.

OD
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Bugger, I was hoping that you'd send me a ticket to WA. Never mind, the weekend after next I'm flying to Lake Eyre as co-pilot. :shock:
First time it's had water for twenty five years

First Officer Blanik.

Cumudgeon and loving it.
The Hermit
Novice

Post by The Hermit »

It can be done and what's more you have the right gear. You must pre-heat the job before you attack it, I usually heat to around 800-1000 F If you are not using DC power then you have to preen the weld more often but that's cool, you get to enjoy your spoils waiting for the temp to come down. Just a couple of things, Don't let the job get to hot and preen to the max and dont let the job cool down to quick you wont have a problem. Learnt this stuff in the 60's. Don't forget to use the right rod's.

Regards

The Hermit
Thats magic
MashMan

Post by MashMan »

Hey Hermit, I think you mean "peen" as in beat the shit out of it over the entire weld. done stacks of this on automotive parts and as long as you have all pieces heated to the same temp and have a looong cooldown, using cast or dissimilar metal rods you will usually have success.

Cheers,
MM.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have welded cast iron in the past... You do need to pre-heat or the cast iron will either spider web or burst fracture on you, destroying the piece... You also need the proper welding rod but I don't recall the number... Also, be very careful when peening to chip away any slag as the cast iron will be quite brittle... As I recall there is a way to re-strengthen the cast iron by re-heating it evenly and allowing it to slowly cool...
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

I used 'I think' nickel rod, (back in the '70's for me) and like they said above, lots of pre-heat. It seems the better way to go would be brazing 'cause by the time its hot enough to braze, youve got your preheat taken care of, , , ,-hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

Messer makes a great electrode for welding cast iron. Its a MG 289 "problem solver" electrode. If your fixing a crack drill a small hole at each end of the crack and preheat to 400F. Bevel joint and weld with AC or DCEP (small narrow stringer passes are better). If your joining two pieces together the start at on end and follow through to the other. You can apply post heat with a torch or throw a weld blanket on the area to allow joint to cool slowly. You can look up the entire welding procedure on their web site. As well there are other manufactures of this type of electrode, but we have had the best luck using Messer. I use this product to fix a buddies old cast iron wood stove (lots of heat variables) and it is holding up fine.
thinking inside the box is for squares....
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Whatever way you go OD, you will need to slowly preheat evenly and allow to cool very slowly. I always packed fluffy insulation material around any work like this to allow it to cool and avoid stresses building up. It hever failed me. A couple of days cooling sounds good to me.

And I still think that bronze/brazing rod is the way to go other than clamping mechanically.

Cumudgeon and loving it.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I got some rods in the garage for welding cast. Forget what they are but was given to me by a salesman. came in our shop and showed us 4 or 5 new rods. (for welding on a broken stud but not hurting the threads etc) Anyway, this rod doesn't need any special heating/cooling etc. He said it was for welding cast gearboxes on tree farmers etc out in the woods. You bust something, you wash it off, v grind it and weld it up. I welded on a 302 ford head just to see and yup it held fine. I got a handfull of rods because I said I wanted to fill the chambers of my heads for racing..blah, blah, blah. Anyway, he said it was around $400 a pound for these rods and that was in 03 or 2004.

It's 1:20 in the am so I'm not going to look for them, but if you google cast welding rod, something will come up. Yes it is doable, hell I mig'd a cast iron leg on one of those outdoor garden love seats, held fine for a few months now...
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

first let me say its been a long time since iv been into welding/fabrication .has things improved? I sure it has .
can cast be welded ? yes of course it can . is it dependable? that depends on the place it is being welded.
if it is a bracket that has broking off or something like that OK. but if your going to weld it to the a base that is solid
like a wheel rim then I would not do it as the expansion differences in the two will just pull it apart.
now for braising, if it is in a place the does not receive heat that also can be done,but brass deteriorates with heat.
so nothing that gits hot should be brazed.
so my conclusion? if mounting a burner in /on a solid base Id use some sort of brackets,even then do not make it solid
leave room for expansion.
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

My advice would be to buy NEW electrodes from a supplier and get the MANUFACTURES welding procedure for that make and brand of electrode you intend on using. I would advise this for all types of welding and brazing. Then you know it's right...
thinking inside the box is for squares....