found at the dump

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blind drunk
retired

found at the dump

Post by blind drunk »

Last week I went to the transfer station to get rid of stuff and I spotted a home espresso machine. Asked the guy if it worked and he said that I gotta take a chance. I gave him a twenty and off I went. When I got home, I realized that the water tank in the back was missing. Went online, downloaded a parts list and phoned the local distributor. He said, yup, we stock the tanks and they're $17.00. Ship it, I said. Just got it, filled it and it works. The machine cost about $1400.00 + new. I've wanted one for years but didn't want to shell out the bucks. Espresso is my absolute favorite coffee drink. What a good day that was, indeed :D bd.
I do all my own stunts
ammo man
Swill Maker

Re: found at the dump

Post by ammo man »

Lucky poot! Anyway congratulations. What are you going to spike your first cup with?

Bert
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

What are you going to spike your first cup with?
You read my mind - I'm thinking some nice homemade Kahlua. It's aging gracefully and I'm just starting to dip into it :D Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Good man - I'll join you in that kahlua spiked espresso. You just gotta bribe a barista for a good source of beans now! :lol:
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Nice find BD. Now all you need is to get into bean roasting. I'm not any good at it but I keep trying.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

A full flavored rum is great with any coffee!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Now all you need is to get into bean roasting. I'm not any good at it but I keep trying.
How do you roast your beans RD? bd.
I do all my own stunts
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

I got that disease too. I come home from the dump with more than I took there in the first place. :?
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

blind drunk wrote:
Now all you need is to get into bean roasting. I'm not any good at it but I keep trying.
How do you roast your beans RD? bd.
I've been using a pop corn popper I got at a rummage sale for a buck. I'm far from getting a perfect roast but I've just started. I've seen it done in a cast iron pans and I've heard of folks using heat guns with great success. What ever you do, do it outside it will stink up your kitchen.

You can get quality raw beans on ebay for a few bucks a pound. Roasted coffee degrades quickly, fresh roasted coffee is the way to go and if you can get a good roast it can be very cheep to do your own.

RD
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I met a guy at a coffee stand once where I was working and he said he roasted his beans "cowboy" style, in a cast iron pan. I think I believed him and the coffee was quite good. No more hobbies, please, I need to earn a living :lol: :lol: bd.
I do all my own stunts
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

lol

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

nuff said, you should see my shed........ coffee gets me up, home brew gets me asleep....

two easy home roasters

rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

My wife is going to hate you maheel. :D :D That's a great link.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Hey maheel, can you explain your roasters? I can't make out what that "Tiffany" item is. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

the other pic seems to have gone away it was a bread maker and a hot air paint stripper, the BM stirs the beans and the HG gives you the heat.
it's what i use but is a but messy with the Chaff flying out you can do 600g roasts easy

the "tiffany" is a thing called a "turbo oven" it normally sits on a glass "pot" to cook roasts and stuff, but here a guy figured it would make a good coffee roaster and it is a good roaster
this one is fully enclosed and retains the chaff, once you roast you pull out the center pot and pour the beans into your cooler.
some are doing 900g roasts on this.

google "KKTO coffee" will give you some video and plenty of pics / hits

popcorn makers are OK but only roast about 130 grams (thats only 5 coffee's for me.......) so is not enough volume

have a look on Coffeesnobs in the "roaster" section, it's as additive as home brewing......
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

That's awesome. Found some videos on you tube. Thanks, bd.

ed - I'm sure to find more stuff at the dump :D
I do all my own stunts
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I roast my own coffee.

I use a small air roaster designed for coffee. It only roasts a third to a half pound at a time, but as roasted coffee is only at it's peak flavour/aroma for three days, I don't want to roast any more at a time.

I get my green beans from Sweet Maria's in Cali: http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Which one do you have thm? Is it on the link you provided? Great link btw :D bd.
I do all my own stunts
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I use the FreshRoast SR500.

I like it. It has adjustable heat and airflow. It's simple enough for a starter roaster, yet totally adjustable for more advanced folks.

I used to use the Nesco roaster. I strongly advise folks away from it. It takes too long to roast, isn't controllable enough, and the LONG roast time destroys the delicate tastes and aromas we want. Why buy gourmet beans if they are gonna end up flavourless and insipid?

If yer into coffee, do yerself a favor and give homeroastin' a try. You'll end up with coffee WAY superior to Starbucks, Peets, etc, and it will cost less.

Fresh coffee is nectar... and if it was roasted more than 3 days ago it's not fresh, no matter how they package it.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

makes me wonder what im missing. I consider the coffee shop stuff to be the best, as im use to the complimentary swill at work. :? Kinda like makin yer own brew. Ya just dont know what yer missin :D
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

This is a good visual of beans roasting - bd

http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I do all my own stunts