Oz natives?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gilbo
Novice

Oz natives?

Post by Gilbo »

Wondering how we'd go developing a native Oz drop, like the Mexicans have their Mezcal and the Chinese their rice wine aged with a whole snake in it.

I've done a LOT of Australian bush tucker and bush medicine stuff over the years, it comes hand in hand with Anthropology, and been in a lot of arguments at the Malt of the Month Club in Margaret River over producing a native whisky.

I think we'd do well with grevillea or maybe banksia flowers. Grevillea used to be called the blackfella's lolly shop when I was a kid, and if you got around the ants you'd get a lot of nectar. If that's not enough, maybe ferment the flowers with your wash and put it all through the hoocher.

We could add a witchetty grub to each bottle . . . . .

Anyone else been thinking about it?

Gil
Telling people what to do will not meet the case . . . you must show them with all due skill. - Dr Hugh McLeod Gordon (1909-2002)
northcountry
Novice

Re: Oz natives?

Post by northcountry »

Might check out chariot.net.au
and maybe e-mail dom, think he may be of assistance. His site shows a medicinal water kefir that can be second distilled for a unique alcohol brew. He is married to a native. Quite an interesting site, you could spend a week taking it all in.