Awesome...non-alcoholic drink made with tea

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Awesome...non-alcoholic drink made with tea

Post by Coon-ass »

Being from the south, we drink a lot of sweet tea.

A friend of mine used to own a restaurant here and had a secret drink he would sell the hell out of.
He would never tell me the recipe. Once he sold it and moved he finally told me. This is by far
my favorite drink in the summer. It is extremely refreshing and tastes great. So, I want to share.

Take a gallon of sweet tea and drink, pour off, whatever a little less than 1/3 of it.
Replace the lost volume with (and this is important) NOT FROM CONCENTRATE ORANGE JUICE.
I prefer Florida's natural with pulp (pulp is optional...whatever you prefer). It is always not from concentrate, uses only Florida oranges, and I am supporting US growers.
Shake well.
That is it. Extremely simple, but I promise you...this served over ice is fantastic. All of my friend's love it.
Give it a try and let me know what you think. :D
Last edited by Coon-ass on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
MuleKicker
retired

Re: Awesome...non-alcoholic drink made with tea

Post by MuleKicker »

Coon ass. I like you. But what the hell? Can we add some booze to make it legit? :evil:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coon-ass »

Yo Mule! Always my brother.
I actually add gin to mine on occasion. But, I posted this off topic and not in the drinks section because when you get through
cuttin' grass, this drink hits the spot. More so than Gatorade. But, Walking wolf and I are usually done drinking by 9am :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I think you and ww are the cats asss. I have got to get down there and see you guys.. Come on Mk lets go and get a tour of the Bayou from a couple of wild asses..
I think I could fit right in with you guys..
KS
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

just for us folks down under

what is sweet tea

is it a commercial product

if so not available hear

how do you make sweet tea from scratch

I assume it it tea with sugar
The Friendly Spirit
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rod wrote:just for us folks down under

what is sweet tea

if so not available hear

I make it buy the gallon at my house. boil your tea with a family size teabag and 1/2 gallon of water. Add 1.25 cups of sugar in the bottom of a 1 gallon pitcher. then stir in the hot tea and top up to 1 gallon. let sit and cool. Add ice to a glass and pour.. you have 1 glass of good ole southern Ice tea.,
Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coon-ass »

Rod wrote:just for us folks down under

what is sweet tea

if so not available hear

Good answer, KS.
However, I am too lazy to make my own when I can buy some damn good sweet tea from a local maker. We have a coffee maker here called Community Coffee and that make some DAMN good tea.
I took a oic of the ingredients label for you. But, it is basically what KS said.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

KS -- How much tea you figure is in that "family-sized" bag? Just in case their's aint called "family-sized" bag and they is having to measure it themselves.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

umm I duno...maybe 5 tablespoons
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

WalkingWolf wrote:KS -- How much tea you figure is in that "family-sized" bag? Just in case their's aint called "family-sized" bag and they is having to measure it themselves.
you are right , would have to search to find a family sized bag

we have pot bags here , but do not think that would be 5 tablespoons
Kentucky shinner wrote:umm I duno...maybe 5 tablespoons
just to add more confusion we use a different size tablespoon

I think your are 15 grams or three teaspoons

ours are 20 grams or 4 teaspoons

is the tea week or strong

I drink tea with milk

but without milk it is the colour of coke
The Friendly Spirit
Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coon-ass »

I'd say the color of coke would be really strong. You want to be able to see light through it, kinda the color of a speyside scotch
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I should also tell you

our gallon , not that we use it now

is 4.54 litres

I think I might go and have a scotch

LOL
The Friendly Spirit
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

We are quickly approaching that " . . . you-lose-something-in-the-translation . . . " stage.

I've had the dark, full-flavored tea with cream that you are speaking of. I enjoyed it very much but this is not what we in the States refer to as iced tea. I'll think about this one further and try to come up with what you can prepare that will give you an idea of what we experience. (It really isn't as complicated as this thread will have folks believe when they read this at a later date :oops: )
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

This is getting worse

we put milk in our tea , not cream

I know you folks call milk ( 2 to 4% fat ) in coffee , cream

if we use cream it is 18 to 36% fat

But I get the idea
The Friendly Spirit
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I hear'ya on the cream. Grew up on a farm milking cows by hand and used to like to watch the cream collect on the top.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Kentucky shinner wrote:I think you and ww are the cats asss. I have got to get down there and see you guys.. Come on Mk lets go and get a tour of the Bayou from a couple of wild asses..
I think I could fit right in with you guys..
KS
Cool, lets go......We can take my boat. 8) :lol:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Damn coon-ass I just saw this thread and I just happen to be drinkin a glass of sweet tea. Bein in the south of course what else would you drink sep for Mt dew or some fine homemade? And I just happen to have a gallon of oj in the fridge of course. What else would you have in your fridge in Florida sep for some Mt dew or some fine homemade. So I just had to run to the fridge and dump some oj in my tea and try it. That ain't to bad son. Never thought of puttin oj in my tea before. Oh and I just happen to have a box of......you guessed it, family sized Lipton iced tea bags. Bein in the south what else would you.. Oh the hell with it. So I got out my handy dandy scale and measured the tea in one bag, 7g. I personaly use 3 bags per gallon so your talkin 21grams of tea per one US gallon of water. Now if yall want to do it rite and I mean the southern way you have to get a gallon glass jar and brew it in the sun. Oh and it has to be the sun you get in the Ocala Forest like granny used to make it.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coon-ass »

pumpman wrote:Damn coon-ass I just saw this thread and I just happen to be drinkin a glass of sweet tea. Bein in the south of course what else would you drink sep for Mt dew or some fine homemade? And I just happen to have a gallon of oj in the fridge of course. What else would you have in your fridge in Florida sep for some Mt dew or some fine homemade. So I just had to run to the fridge and dump some oj in my tea and try it. That ain't to bad son. Never thought of puttin oj in my tea before. Oh and I just happen to have a box of......you guessed it, family sized Lipton iced tea bags. Bein in the south what else would you.. Oh the hell with it. So I got out my handy dandy scale and measured the tea in one bag, 7g. I personaly use 3 bags per gallon so your talkin 21grams of tea per one US gallon of water. Now if yall want to do it rite and I mean the southern way you have to get a gallon glass jar and brew it in the sun. Oh and it has to be the sun you get in the Ocala Forest like granny used to make it.
Ain't half bad, huh? I bet it would be really good in Ocala watching some horses race!
Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coon-ass »

Works well with lemonade, too.
We go to this wing joint once a week for all you can eat chicken wings and they have half lemonade half sweet tea drink. but, i prefer oj
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Thanks for postin' this drink. I mixed some up yesterday after work and it was excellent!
father william
Swill Maker

Post by father william »

Arnold Palmer popularized a drink now named for him which is half iced tea, half lemonade. I make something I call 'the REAL Arnold Palmer' which is half iced tea and half dry white wine, like a Chenin or Sauvignon Blanc.

I make sun tea with orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea bags. You can use hot made tea as well, but drink it cold on ice. About as much alcohol as your typical lager once the ice melts a little. It's actually better with cheap jug wine than it is with good wine, because the tannins in the tea offset the 'whang' of slightly too acidic jug wine. Sugar is optional, I don't use it.

Goes down real easy and you can watch a couple of football games and drink it the whole time without getting swacked.
If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Will Rogers
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

father william wrote:you can watch a couple of football games and drink it the whole time without getting swacked.
Whats the point in that? :roll:
Likker in the front and poker in the rear