Russians and methanol

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Russians and methanol

Post by Coon-ass »

Think they were trying to add some kick?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Ayay
Distiller

Re: Russians and methanol

Post by Ayay »

Poor bastards couldn't tell by the taste. Ghetto stillin and people who don't know the taste gives us all a bad name.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I'm thanking that Iv read that they ferment anything that will make alcohol.including scrap plywood.
would you prefer treated or untreated?
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Ayay wrote:Poor bastards couldn't tell by the taste. Ghetto stillin and people who don't know the taste gives us all a bad name.
The idea that methanol tastes bad is because it comes out with other nasties in the fores. I have read guys on racing forums say that methanol (what they use in their cars) smells sweet and that they actually love that smell.

According to the BMJ in an article about methanol poisoning: http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2008 ... .0619.full

"This substance is a clear, achromatic liquid with a smell and taste similar to ethanol"

Could be that if you got pure methanol and dump it in clean likker it wouldn't taste much different. Scary if you think about it. Yep I'd rather make my own. At least I know what's in it even if my cuts are off from time to time.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Sounds more like bad people who dont give a damn cutting Eth with Meth to improve their cost ratio's and the Russians paid the price.
Some people will do anything for a quick buck.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

ole boys had kin in the navy on a destroyer in ww2. torpedos was ethonol operated so to keep the saliors
from drinkin it they put somethin in it to get em sick. amazein what a small outfit could do.

so im tole
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

I dont see the benifit of adding poison to your brew. I know they added everything from methanol to fermaldahide back in prohibition. What it the point of killing your customers? All this does is give the chance of legalizing home distilling a big black eye. :? One step forward, two steps back.

Oh, and dnder, Ill take mine untreated. :shock:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

http://www.slate.com/id/2245188/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

From the wiki entry -
The U.S. torpedoes were powered by a miniature steam engine burning 180- or higher-proof ethyl alcohol as fuel. The ethyl alcohol was denatured by the addition of 5–10% "pink lady", a blend of dye, methanol and possibly other ingredients, in the first part of the Pacific War. Methanol causes blindness when ingested, and can't be made non-poisonous. The methanol was said to be (largely) removed by filtering the fuel mix through a compressed loaf of bread.
I do all my own stunts
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I knew two indians back home when I was a kid who would filter windshield washer and sometimes brake fluid through a loaf of bread.

Course they also huffed gas, so..... :roll:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Worked for a WW2 Navy man for a while as a kid. Told me after shave was a prized posession.

Along with any other thing "alcohol". Recon the south pacific took it's toll.

Sounds like those young men didn't get briefed,,,,,,or they didn't quite understand the consiquences.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.