Old Mopars

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pumpman
Swill Maker

Old Mopars

Post by pumpman »

I need a serious Mopar guru or I need to know where I can go to chat with one. I have found an old Mopar and it has some markings on it that I havn't seen before and I havn't been able to find any examples of them on the net. The car is sitting and has not been drivin for quit a while and I want to try pick it up.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Re: Old Mopars

Post by JethroBodine »

I might be able to help. PM me if you want or ask here.
Master Bruce Lee said," The best style, is NO style."
I've had a LOT of practice at having no style.
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

Ditto....got some pics????
thinking inside the box is for squares....
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Thanx guys. I'm probably premature in asking because so far I can't get within 50 yards of the car so I will try to get a pic this friday. It looks to me like a 66 coronet from what I've seen on the internet but it has a vertical stripe on the rear quarter panel like the super bee but from what I recall the stripe is unbroken and there is a circular decall in front of the stripe centered on the panel. From what I have read the bees didn't come out untill 68 and the round bee stickers were in the center of the stripe. I havn't seen any examples of this stripe combination, could be aftermarket though. I guess what I need is a website that has all the info on what they did in those years.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Which motor do you think it has Eric?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

I realy have no idea without looking at it Larry. They did so many things back then with special orders and having extra of these and not enough of those. I had a 72 Dart Swinger with a 318, factory air and dual calliper 4 piston front disk brakes and I was told they didn't put those brakes on A/C Darts because it was a high performance option usualy put on stripped down race versions. So I won't know till I can talk to the owner.
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Post by JethroBodine »

Like you said, lots of mixing and matching in the factory during those years, and a lot of years since then. I've had a few," didn't put that in those until..." I still want to get a factory Hemi-Duster if I ever get STOOPID rich. Then again, a 413 Golden Lion in a 58 Fury would be SUPER cool. Mmmmm, push button trans.

Let us know what you find out :D
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Now your going beyond my days of comprehention. :lol:
MudDuck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MudDuck »

May find some help here: http://www.dodgecoronet.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Sounds like it could be an R/T model — but hard to tell without looking/seeing. A few models based off the base coronet body (charger— R/T, GTX). And people can always mock one up from a base car. But, there were some hell-a-vu engine options back then even on a plane jane coronet or belvedere — including the 426 hemi (dual offset carbs after 66 on the street versions). I spent time in a dodge parts shop. We special ordered race/performance parts from mopar from time to time for clients/customers. I swear...this little old lady comes in with a 67 Belvedere. Don't know if you ever saw one. Looks plane jane. It was green, with green interior, column shifter, bench seats. Church lady car. Had stock/skinny tires on it. She said she was having trouble in the little town she lived in getting parts for the car and was told we might be able to help. I lifted up the hood.....guess what I saw? It was fender to fender with 426 hemi, dual carter carbs. :esurprised:

I laughed and told her...I guess so (having trouble finding parts). This was the "perfect" sleeper car. Bone stock, plain stock inside, bench seats, standard tires/trim package. NO CLUE that there was a 426 under the hood. No scoop, stripes, nothing. She said her "late" husband bought it new. It looked "perfect" (no rust, etc). A few tears in the seams of the upholstery ,etc. Normal stuff. The engine was bone stock. She said several people had asked her if she wanted to sell it, but she was saving it for her son. Although most anything of value mostly gets panned out over time, you never know what you might find.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Allrite got the pic today. What I thought I remembered as a round sticker looks to be the feul door.
DSCN0260.JPG
It is a 66 or 67 Coronet for sure. Just don't know about the stripe or what it represents.
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

those tailights are throwing me
Looks almost like the 440 coronet 1967 but there were only 55 of those built whats the hood look like
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

still crazy wrote:those tailights are throwing me
Looks almost like the 440 coronet 1967 but there were only 55 of those built whats the hood look like
55 SS/Bs (super stock B models)Were built with the 440 engine http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z534 ... ronet.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
92,500 Coronet 440s were built and 29,300 Coronet 500s were built in 67.http://www.oldride.com/library/1967_dodge_coronet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Looking at the taillights from the 66 and the 67 I think it's a 67 just with the piece missing from the back of deck lid. Thank you every one you've all been a lot of help. Now I need to meet the owner and find out if it's possable to pick it up cheap. Maby it's a little old lady from Passadina. :lol:
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Stripe usually indicates R/T model. The R/T badge is missing from the rear quarter panel..just above and behind the fender wells. They also usually had some kind of hood scoop. And on some models in 67...the tails lights were all the way across the back...to match the full grill in front. I'd approach this with caution. Easy enough to paint a stripe on the back of a 67 coronet 318ci. It's still possible that it was some kind of performance package. But, I'd get spec on it first.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

You are correct sir. I do not believe it is an R/T and I do know a bit about dodge engines so if I can warm up to the owners then I will Figure out what it is. I suspect it is a regular Coronet 440 and that would be fine with me if I can get it for a good price.
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

could have to hurst option on it.....limited production models that had the 440 with the hurst shifter option...Belive it or not Hurtz rental use to have these cars available to rent so a guy could go to the track and rip down the track....Guys then would rent 'em and replace the engines and turn them back in....Needless to say, it's hard to find one of these cars that has the original motor...Only lasted for a couple years......
thinking inside the box is for squares....
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Post by JethroBodine »

Sooo. What is it? What's it got? 383, 426Wedge, 440, Magnum...?
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

looks like a slant 6

:)
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.