how can you build legally like Mile high and brewhaus

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

how can you build legally like Mile high and brewhaus

Post by Kentucky shinner »

does anyone know how guys like mile high and brewhuas can sell stills legally? There are many others out there doing it also. Maybe it is not illegal to build and sell stills at all :!: does anybody know.
KS
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: how can you build legally like Mile high and brewhaus

Post by blanikdog »

Illegal to use, but not illegal to have or make a still. Same as other stuff that can be purchased but not used.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Kentucky shinner wrote:does anyone know how guys like mile high and brewhuas can sell stills legally? There are many others out there doing it also. Maybe it is not illegal to build and sell stills at all :!: does anybody know.
KS
I believe that in Australia it is lawful to own a five litre still.

Which I guess makes it okay to make and sell them. But not with a boiler of more than the five litres.

But you are not allowed to use the still to produce alcohol.
The Baker
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

IT also depends on your state. Here in California it's kinda weird, if your a legal distillery you can have it but you can't set it up until you pay a annual fee or some crap.

I think you need to look into the state regs as well as the feds. But your not really selling stills, all your doing is selling the column. I always thought you needed a working boiler for it to be a still.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

rubber duck wrote:IT also depends on your state. Here in California it's kinda weird, if your a legal distillery you can have it but you can't set it up until you pay a annual fee or some crap.

I think you need to look into the state regs as well as the feds. But your not really selling stills, all your doing is selling the column. I always thought you needed a working boiler for it to be a still.
I think your right RD you could use the column for water distillation.
I think with out a boiler it cant be considered a still. Hell it could just be abstract art.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Kentucky shinner wrote:does anyone know how guys like mile high and brewhuas can sell stills legally? There are many others out there doing it also. Maybe it is not illegal to build and sell stills at all :!: does anybody know.
KS
Hy KS,

They sell this equipment for the distillation of water, the production of essential oils and essence extraction. At least, that's what I bought mine for. I am quite sure they regret the fact that this equipment may also be used as an alcohol still by some unscrupulous purchasers. :esurprised: :esurprised: :esurprised:

I, for one, keep searching this site for better recipes. My wife refuses to dab my products behind her ears because she says it attracts raccoons, skunks and drunks when she goes for a walk. I am laying some down on oak in the vain hope that it may become more palatable to her and less palatable to the raccoons and skunks - if not the drunks. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Alas, I am forced to dispose of the stuff by pouring it into the sewers (sometimes - well, actually ALWAYS - via my digestive system!?!?!). Fortunately I have a few friends who are willing and able to help me out in my hour(s) of need(s). :D :D :D

Hell, where can I find some good recipes for essence extraction? I'm not in the wrong site am I :?: :?: :?:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

just keep trying man youll get it before you know and she will be smelling good.... the more you use the better it gets remember that.. :ewink: :ewink:
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Kentucky shinner wrote:just keep trying man youll get it before you know and she will be smelling good.... the more you use the better it gets remember that.. :ewink: :ewink:
Yessir,

I'll try my best to improve my production. Want her to like the perfume.

My friends seem to want me to keep practicing. Funny they want me to practice, practice, practice and practice again. They keep telling me it might be impossible to make to make perfect. - But that they will drop by once or twice per week to help me to decide whether I'm getting closer.

Ain't it grand to have such considerate friends :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

They sell this equipment for the distillation of water, the production of essential oils and essence extraction. At least, that's what I bought mine for. I am quite sure they regret the fact that this equipment may also be used as an alcohol still by some unscrupulous purchasers.
This coming from a guy who calls himself "likkerluvver" :roll: :lol:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

MuleKicker wrote:
They sell this equipment for the distillation of water, the production of essential oils and essence extraction. At least, that's what I bought mine for. I am quite sure they regret the fact that this equipment may also be used as an alcohol still by some unscrupulous purchasers.
This coming from a guy who calls himself "likkerluvver" :roll: :lol:
Yes MK,

I've recently discovered that likker could refer to some form of alcoholic beverage. :o

Since I'm teetotal myself, the closest I can get to a buzz (and still keep my principles) is to drink the stuff my wife dabs behind her ears ('n places). It got so expensive I had to start making it myself. :idea:

Funny that,... how so many of my friends (all former booze drinkers) have acquired a similar taste for this stuff. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LL
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

If you are going into mass production KS, does this mean I will get royalties. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

olddog wrote:If you are going into mass production KS, does this mean I will get royalties. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OD
Hello OD,

I thought you were experimenting with ethanol production from those splendidly shiny rigs your alias produces. They are truly impressive - remind me of a Holstein (or is that a breed of cow?)

KS, on the other hand, - just like Brewhaus and Milehi - is producing equipment designed for the distillation of water, the production of essential oils and essence extraction.

The sale of his wares is entirely legal for this purpose. AND, of course, this precludes him from any royalty payment obligations to yourself.

Of course, this might be completely different if your equipment was also designed and intended for the distillation of water, the production of essential oils and essence extraction................

just my 12 cents!

LL
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

KS
those fellas take names and keep records? collect and pay taxes? get a business license? sounds like a haircut and a shave to me. :esurprised: cob
be water my friend
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

If your a legitimate builder you need to keep the name and address of the folks you sell the still to, along with the serial number that you need to affix to each unit.

You are not building stills your building columns, this is how the pda rigs can get around the record keeping.

This is the what I was told by a legitimate still builder, it's just what I was told so do some research.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Likkerluvver you're killin' me!! LOL. In my striving for the perfect perfume the wife finally gave up and left. Now I got all this perfume just sittin' down in the basement. Well, S***, I think it smells pretty good.

Here in Tennessee they recently changed the laws governing distilling. Previously it restricted licensing to two counties (Jack Daniels & another that escapes me right now) but now it is allowed in a number of other counties but not the entire state. A new distillery was built in Sevier Country last year and produces Tennessee Moonshine. Still you need to be licensed and pay some hefty fees to actually be legal, with lots of restrictions. Basically, from my experience here, if you're under the radar and NOT selling they could care less. But this is a big moonshine state. I personally know 4 people that distill and two that sell, and know of several others. One runs a 30g, mashes 600g @ a time, and when he sells it's pickup load. They'll catch him someday.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

KS!

On MiHigh, in the video, as he is starting to show the "How To" part. He shows his E85 license, to say he is legal. So, I would guess, he is selling to others whom he assumes also has an E85 license or for essense or water distillation or I am full of it as usuall. LOL!
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I was just kind of wondering so if something happened during shipping I could cover my arse.. I have started including a typed up letter stating this is a water distillation column and that is the intended use of it. I was just hoping by doing this If for whatever reason the shipping carton was opened everything would would be cool.
Thanks for all the information. It sounds like My Hillbilly flute water distiller should be fine if the wrong person happened to open the carton. :ewink: :D
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Well @ Brewhaus you have to agree to the Terms & Conditions which state:

"The purchaser acknowledges that the equipment being purchased may not be legal for use in some areas, and hereby agrees to abide by all laws with respect to owning and using the equipment. The purchaser holds harmless Brewhaus (America) Inc. for any damages resulting from the use of the equipment."
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Big R,
Any chance my wife might leave me?
Ouch! :esurprised: Dammit, that hurt (she saw this post). Wish I had some perfume to placate her! :?

KS,
Isn’t your HB Flute designed for the distillation of larger volumes of safe drinking water from swamps, polluted rivers etc. :?: Looks to me that it would work well with ocean salt water too.
BTW (in a certain area of Gr8WhiteNorth) some local home-brew stores carry Still Spirits water purifiers – Airstill, Super Reflux etc. and have them in a nice display. Funny that :!: - mostly our tap water is pristine.

RC22,
Glad you’re doing the same as me. Lots of practice will, someday, make us perfect. I’m enjoying the practice now more than I shall if (and when) I make perfect. After all, how long will it take SWMBO to use a gallon of perfume? AND… then there’ll be no discards to dispose of into the sewer (via……..) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LL
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Likkerluvver - Ya better perfect your essences and keep her happy. She might want to take all your perfume for spite. Mine didn't take any but she took everything else, including my 401K!!! I'm gettin' a new stove tomorrow (great deal on a scratch and dent) then next year I'm makin' a new pot still (can you say bigger) so I can distill more water but with a bigger essence chamber.
Wish copper wasn't so D*** expensive.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Hey Big R,

I'll have to drain her retirement account soon then. :wink:

LL
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

KS
On a more serious note:

In my neck-of-the-woods the law is not interested in what we get up to in our own homes in relation to our hobby. I'm told that they do, however, become very, very interested if cash changes hands.

I don't think you'll have any problems shipping a well-packed item sent by independent carrier. A disclaimer and a good description of water distilling and essence extraction would probably be a good item to include with the package.

just my 12 cent's worth.

LL
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

...course, I think it goes without sayin that if a person was gonna start sellin distilation equipment, they'd be smart to keep a clean house at home. :wink:

NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

NcHooch wrote:...course, I think it goes without sayin that if a person was gonna start sellin distilation equipment, they'd be smart to keep a clean house at home. :wink:

NChooch
+1 on that one NC.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne