Arduino anyone?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Re: Arduino anyone?

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

Mr.Spooky wrote: if it aint been done before, then the only answers that your gonna get is just speculation... give it a shot and see what happens!!
spooky
Very good point, but it seems to have been done before but it's to "top secret" for me I guess...
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

shit,,, i couldent help myself :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8H-CTeX ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

Mr.Spooky wrote:shit,,, i couldent help myself :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8H-CTeX ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Very funny..... ha

I don't really care that it's "top secret" I'll be buying the book soon enough.
aqua vitae
Swill Maker

Post by aqua vitae »

azeo wrote:If some comments here do seem a bit blunt or unhelpfull, do try and keep in mind that contribitors are trying to help, aiming to try and save possibly unnecessary work etc, have mostly seen it all before, but *do* encourage and support new ideas, tweaks etc...

Go for it and good luck!
My English is not the best since my only practice is at forums like this so my posts may seem a bit harsh sometimes but I do mean well :)

Well, hope to see you here soon then http://arc.forum24.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

aqua vitae suecicus wrote: My English is not the best since my only practice is at forums like this so my posts may seem a bit harsh sometimes but I do mean well :)
nah, you're fine! Actually it's good to be straightforward sometimes, and your English is certainly very good, more than good enough to get your points across here. As in all written forums, sometimes it can take a 2nd try to get the right "tone" across, without hands to wave, and facial stuff etc, easy to not be interpreted how one wished/meant, even for us "native" English speakers, who have different "dialects", jargon and expressions from each other in different parts of the world... even in the same country! :-)
aqua vitae suecicus wrote: Well, hope to see you here soon then http://arc.forum24.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I'll check it out, always looking for new knowledge... stops the old grey matter from deteriorating too fast...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Mr.Spooky wrote:shit,,, i couldent help myself :?

Awwww Spooky, you shouldn't have posted that violin piece, it simply tore my heart out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

Sr WiNdTech wrote: I don't really care that it's "top secret" I'll be buying the book soon enough.
Don't know if you've checked these links as well, they could be worthwhile, they're like "partner sites",

http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/homepage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Get a sneak preview of Riku's book
http://distillers.tastylime.net/library ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

If you're getting Riku's book, you should also get a copy of McCaw and Nixon's "The Compleat Distiller", they complement one another, and the compleat distiller is a very good handbook - explains a lot in everyday terms, as well more scientific backgrounds. I'd be lost without it, and Riku's book makes more sense after referring to Mikes Book.

There's some early work from the author here;
http://distillers.tastylime.net/library ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

These are in the "archives" section if the links don't wotk on their own.

Also check out
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Specific heads compression/trapping separation *can* be a bit tricky, for reasons I may post in the other more specific thread, doesn't mean it can't be done though, also it doesn't seem to be bothered with when using a "manual" still, as "bleeding" an LM, VM, or CM port after equilibriating is effectively the same thing as far as I can see, apart from the ability to collect a certain amount in a trap and empty it quickly, repeating the process until one is happy the fores, and most of the heads removed before collecting the hearts. Look forward to seeing the progress.
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

I've been at that site, but after the run in I've had with the owner of the site I'll learn elsewhere - It's the principal of the thing....

As for the The Compleat Distiller it should be here Monday. :D
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Sr WiNdTech wrote:I've been at that site, but after the run in I've had with the owner of the site I'll learn elsewhere - It's the principal of the thing....

Yeah I saw that..............
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

Bayou-Ruler wrote:
Sr WiNdTech wrote:I've been at that site, but after the run in I've had with the owner of the site I'll learn elsewhere - It's the principal of the thing....

Yeah I saw that..............
You may have seen half of it, or what is partially left, there has been a thread deleted since, also PM's were sent..
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Sr WiNdTech wrote:You may have seen half of it, or what is partially left, there has been a thread deleted since, also PM's were sent..
So you should be seeing a pattern of folks telling you to throttle back, do some research, and start out slowly... Cough...!!! Someone has been saying that all along, haven't they...??? Ready to listen yet...???
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

rad14701 wrote:
Sr WiNdTech wrote:You may have seen half of it, or what is partially left, there has been a thread deleted since, also PM's were sent..
So you should be seeing a pattern of folks telling you to throttle back, do some research, and start out slowly... Cough...!!! Someone has been saying that all along, haven't they...??? Ready to listen yet...???

Yes, but people don't understand how I operate, I operate alot different than most. I haven't put any solder to copper yet so I haven't done anything wrong the way I see it. I learn by example not words. I also don't start out slow, that's a waste of time when doing this all virtually as I have been doing, really it doesn't hurt to dream up designs and then learn why they don't work, to me learning from mistakes lets you learn better than just being told how to do it or copy a design.

In the end I will learn how I learn because its right for me, and to each their own.

I think you may be surprised at how much more efficient this form of learning is. :egeek:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sr WiNdTech wrote:I think you may be surprised at how much more efficient this form of learning is.
Certainly does have it's place and I doubt that many of us would be suprised..........

Look dude, we really don't have regular participants that are intimately familiar with what you are are trying to acheive.
We get some that drop in now and again like aqua vitea suscious. Riku poped in to stump for the latest edition. Kiwi used to hang out here.

But unless you can dig up something from older posts,,,,you'll need Riku's book and you'll need to spend some time on the arc forum.

We would love to learn about this stuff too. Perhaps you may well be able to assist one day.

But for now,,,,,we do our best to make good likker and and operate within our skill set.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Sr WiNdTech wrote:I think you may be surprised at how much more efficient this form of learning is. :egeek:
I have learned many things in many different ways... One thing I have learned is to attempt to keep people from wasting their time as well as the time of others... Which side of that you feel you are on is up to you to decide...

If you're gonna cook an omelet, you've gotta crack some eggs... Ooppss, wrong forum... :?
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

Let me waste my time, there are others here who I talk to through PM's/Email and are with me on this project. (more people than you would think)

I say ignore my posts, or just delete my account, which ever you decide. It is what it is.... :shock:
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

lol,,,, a chill pill is on its way....... whats your next step Sr WiNdTech???? got any progress to show :ewink: ???????
spooky
Attachments
imagesCA5GPQVJ.jpg
imagesCA5GPQVJ.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

I'M
Manback
Swill Maker

Post by Manback »

The problem with dreaming up designs and then finding out why they don't work is because you rely on someone else to use their time to tell you, when you could easily find all the info you need on forums. It's all there, believe me. I fully appreciate that search engines aren't perfect and sometimes you're gonna need to ask questions that have been covered elsewhere. But at least pretend to look first =/ bAlarms on your temp gauge? This is nothing new duder.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I've been reading through this thread and the same question keeps popping up in my head. Why do you want to do this?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but whats the point? Seems to me that building a better mousetrap requires a thorough understanding of the existing mousetrap.

By all means, go build something that we can all marvel at, but in the short term, build a simple still and run it a while. Then you will know if you need any of that other automation. If you are in it for making good shine, then you don't need it.

Seems to me, this forum is more about crafting a good spirit than it is about creating complex automated systems. Thats not saying to take your design ideas elsewhere. There are many many steps to crafting good hootch. Jumping in way ahead of the curve is not my idea of a serious attempt to learn this stuff.

Best of luck to you. I hope to follow your progress!
this is the internet
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Spot on Dawg. I only read this type of thread very briefly.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
peter1929
Novice

Post by peter1929 »

i a running a basic off the reflux still, i was do a basic automation control with arduino to montior tower temp after i manualy take heads off and controll the boiler via a ssr relay, water by a servo driven valve, has any one started any sketch sw yet? all i want to do is manual start if off the the auto process will take over monitor the temp and when peeks at the end tur the thning off.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

i was thinking of something similar, but i was gonna build a high tec parrot to measure purity, and adjust reflux accordingly. with a set boiler temperature and a well insulated column, automatic reflux should be reasonably simple, and in theory a lot more accurate than a human could be. seeing as we are looking for a simple purity adjustment, this should be easily controllable to a few tenths of a percent output.

the cut however, i think would be way too precise for a home still.
it could of course be done if every wash is exactly the same, with the same yeast etc, etc, but the nasties and fusel oils are in the range of parts per billion, so a little wrong is a lot!
i dont think that kind of perfection every time is within my level of tech at least!

the distilleries measure every conceivable variable as the beasties work and add tiny amounts of whatever is needed for that particular wash, ensuring a close to uniform product every time.
then they use an automated system to determine the exact perfect time for the cut.
it involves an advanced chemical analysis kit, capable of picking up impurities in the range of parts per billion.
it's usually an old bloke who knows his shine, or so i understand!

in certain respects, old blokes are as high tech as it gets!

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

whiskymonster, have you checked into the pricing of equipment for measuring spirit purity...??? Be prepared for a shock as the prices are way beyond what a home distiller could justify... Even distilleries don't use them on a regular basis, just labs... In fact, the whole automation thing is beyond what most home distillers can afford or comprehend at a hobby level... Sure it sounds neat but all of that un-needed complication and expense just takes the fun out of the process... It becomes more about electronics than distillation... :problem:

Don't get me wrong, I love electronics... I just don't see electronics as a viable option when it comes to home distillation... Unfortunately mankind has become addicted to gadgets... Who the hell needs a car that can parallel park itself...??? I've never found parallel parking manually to be difficult... Who needs to be able to talk to their car...??? Who needs a baby monitor and/or video cameras in the nursery...??? Who knows how to work those seven remote controls that it takes to run their entertainment center...??? When was the last time you saw a mobile telephone that only made telephone calls...??? What have we, as a society, become...??? Fat, lazy, and expecting machines to do everything for us, that's what... But I digress... :shifty:
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

i see where youre coming form, and yes, i agree.

and that is exactly it, its just an idea for a gadget that might provide a few hours distraction on a rainy weekend!

i wasnt thinkin anything star trek kinda tech, more along the lines of a small spiritmeter and a light gate, or even and arm and a potentiometer to read the gauge.

the other one is that my father has been on about building a still for fuel for a while, so a reflux feedback could be useful, as the result wouldnt need to be so perfect. a small home still, where im gonna taste and scrutinize every drop would be the perfect prototyping sandbox.

would just mean that he wouldnt have to babysit the still while he has the minimoke in bits.

obviously, safety being paramount, hed have to pay attention, but it would just make the whole thing a bit easier.

not trying to reinvent the wheel, and obviously this art has been going well enough without the invasion of the technojunkies.

might never get round to it, might decide it isnt worth the effort. who knows?
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
auv
Novice

Post by auv »

no rocket science, but there are things that makes our hobby life even more interesting :).
I would still call myself beginner and still learning, but enjoy also electronics and programming, not only distillation process.

I use arduino for delayed start (so I can leave it filled/plugged at night and on morning it's warm);
turn on water (custom servo valve) and reduce power (SSR) once t in column is >50C
PID for keeping cooling t at outside on set level (it makes me think I am "green" and will pay less for water :))
sound when T goes above set point
shutoff when T above set point (if pot mode)
also have ethernet module connected 2arduino, posting data to nimbits server and seeing t/stats from another room from phone (or can configure alerts) - but would call it more playing with another hobby than

have plan for adding pressure sensor (to adjust power to to max possible as my boka otherwise tends to "overfill" if too much power)
control reflux ratio (have few ideas for "how" and colleague already has working prototype, but still need to tune a bit).

p.s.
my quick and dirty servo valve:
http://goo.gl/MJ91z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ml9099
Novice

Post by ml9099 »

Would you be able to post the code used for your arduino? I am experimenting with the automation and could use some ideas...
Thanks