Use for Fores-- Make an alcohol stove

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Use for Fores-- Make an alcohol stove

Post by T-Pee »

Would you think that fores and early heads (90+%) would work relatively safely in a Coleman stove that normally uses white gas?

tp
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

I throw mine on red ant hills in my yard. Kick em around a bit,the ants pissy and throw some on them. Kills em off and surrounding grass..lol
Is your life worth.."Better fix that next time"????
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I use fores to light charcoal in the bbq. The stuff burns off clean and doesn't leave an after taste like lighter fluid.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

NcGunny wrote:I throw mine on red ant hills in my yard. Kick em around a bit,the ants pissy and throw some on them. Kills em off and surrounding grass..lol
This just reminded me of another way I saw to kill ants. Do a Google search for pouring molten aluminum on ant hills. Makes me want to build a setup for smelting aluminum, but the wife would kill me! Plus I don't have enough ant hills around me.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
fullofdays
Novice

Post by fullofdays »

been wondering if I can use the fores to fill my zippo. Anyone done this?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

fullofdays wrote:been wondering if I can use the fores to fill my zippo. Anyone done this?
Definitely works... It's all about the %ABV... Could be foreshots, head, or hearts... Pretty much, if it burns it's work in your Zippo lighter... Their factory is located less than an hour from me... They have a great factory museum... Had a great uncle who was in management there years ago... One guess what he gave as Christmas presents to the adult family members...
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

T-Pee wrote:Would you think that fores and early heads (90+%) would work relatively safely in a Coleman stove that normally uses white gas?

tp
You'd probably need about a 30% bigger (by area) fuel orifice and the original orifice back if you switched back to white gas. Careful, an alcohol flame that's atomized into the right amount of air is really hard to see, but burns your hand just fine.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

You can swap the generator between the original and one that has been opened up for alcohol. They simply screw in.

tp
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Used some yesterday to help kill some mold growing under a windowsill. Ha!
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

I made a few alcohol stoves last year, here is a video of a high pressure coil-jet stove I made.

A friend :ewink: filmed it and published it on youtube.

How it's made:

2 beer can bottoms are cut to the same height, the one to be used for the upper section has its cut edge worked to flare it out slightly.

A coil of pipe is formed with legs that protrude through the upper section of the fuel reservoir, this is JB Welded in place. A 0.5mm hole is drilled in upper face of the bottom of the coil to form the jet. A reasonably tight fitting cotton string wick is threaded up either leg of the coil until it just starts to go round the bend of the coil and is long enough to touch the bottom section of the reservoir when assembled.

A filler cap is made in the upper section of the reservoir and JB Welded.

The upper and lower sections are carefully fitted together, with the lower section fitting inside the upper section. These can be JB Welded together although I prefer not to as in an overpressure situation the two halves can simply pop apart rather than explode!

How it works:

Fuel is carried up the wick by capillary action, vaporised in the coil and expelled through the jet where it is ignited. It burns just below the top of the coil, transferring some of its heat to the coil to allow the process to continue until all the fuel is consumed. To start the jet working a flame from a lighter is applied to the top of the coil.

(edited because I just read the post about posting youtube videos)
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
Luke642
Novice

Post by Luke642 »

I've made a few of these but none are as reliable as my Trangia: http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-327508-28 ... ds=trangia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And the fores work better that rubbing alcohol. Something my counter top distiller was good at.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

phillmystill... That's kind of a cool design, but defeats the purpose of the alcohol stove. They're supposed to be packable, and act as their own support system. The video wouldn't work, but it looks like you would need to build a separate support system for the pot/pan, for it to work. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Seriously, not trying to be a D-Nozzle.

Edit: Also curious as to what makes it "High Pressure".
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

The KYChemist wrote:phillmystill... That's kind of a cool design, but defeats the purpose of the alcohol stove. They're supposed to be packable, and act as their own support system. The video wouldn't work, but it looks like you would need to build a separate support system for the pot/pan, for it to work. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Seriously, not trying to be a D-Nozzle.

You're quite right it isn't as small, lightweight or self-contained as some other designs, a combined wind-shield/ pot-stand is necessary to support a kettle or cooking pot. I tend to use it in conjunction with a chimney type charcoal lighter.
― Mae West
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

The KYChemist wrote:
Help us out all you "physics" guys.
Why does this design produce the "pressured" gas flame when other alcohol stoves I've seen have a more gentle flame. The flame appears to blow out an inch or more from the burner hole before the flame appears (ie. the pressured flame)
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

WalkingWolf wrote:
The KYChemist wrote:
Help us out all you "physics" guys.
Why does this design produce the "pressured" gas flame when other alcohol stoves I've seen have a more gentle flame. The flame appears to blow out an inch or more from the burner hole before the flame appears (ie. the pressured flame)
I'm led to believe the fuel is drawn through the wick by capillary action, vapourises in the coil which is heated by the flame and expelled through the jet. The jet is (if I remember correctly) 0.5mm. I think the secret has to be the rapid vapourisation of the fuel in the hot coil. The coil has to be pre-heated for a while with a lighter before ignition can take place.
― Mae West
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

I get what you're saying. But, in my humble opinion, I don't think this would qualify as "high pressure". When I think high pressure, I think of something like a Coleman stove. Where you have to pump it up, and put the fuel under pressure in order to move through the system.
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

The KYChemist wrote:I get what you're saying. But, in my humble opinion, I don't think this would qualify as "high pressure". When I think high pressure, I think of something like a Coleman stove. Where you have to pump it up, and put the fuel under pressure in order to move through the system.
Fair enough, I guess it's all pretty subjective anyway.
― Mae West
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

phillmystill wrote:
The KYChemist wrote:I get what you're saying. But, in my humble opinion, I don't think this would qualify as "high pressure". When I think high pressure, I think of something like a Coleman stove. Where you have to pump it up, and put the fuel under pressure in order to move through the system.
What impressed me is there is a more aggressive flame than what I've produced with other versions of alcohol stoves. KYChemist, I think a "truly" pressured stove that you describe would be beyond the scope of what I'd try to produce in a home environment..
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

WalkingWolf wrote:
phillmystill wrote:
What impressed me is there is a more aggressive flame than what I've produced with other versions of alcohol stoves. KYChemist, I think a "truly" pressured stove that you describe would be beyond the scope of what I'd try to produce in a home environment..
Like I said... I get what you guys are saying. I was just trying to see if there was something I was missing. Wasnt trying to be rude, or a smarty-pants.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

The KYChemist wrote: I get what you guys are saying. I was just trying to see if there was something I was missing. Wasnt trying to be rude, or a smarty-pants.
there are open and closed designs. closed has more pressure than open, but pressure is very low.

phillmystill's is a closed design, in that vapor can only escape through an orfice.

open stoves you can see the fuel through the opening in the top that you cover with the pan to make the orfices work.
be water my friend
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

The KYChemist wrote:
WalkingWolf wrote:
phillmystill wrote:
Like I said... I get what you guys are saying. I was just trying to see if there was something I was missing. Wasnt trying to be rude, or a smarty-pants.
You certainly didn't come across as rude or smarty-pants to me, merely questioning, which I have no problem with at all.

Now I consider your analogy with the Coleman stove where, as you say, the fuel tank is pressurised to move the fuel through the system, the pressure at the burners is pretty low, whereas in the coil stove the fuel reservoir should be under no pressure and all the pressure should be in the coil itself giving rise to the aggressive flame. The noise of the thing is something to behold too, something akin to a blow torch, which also gives the impression that the fuel vapours exiting the jet are under considerable pressure. It should sort of find an equilibrium whereby the pressure is limited by the amount of fuel that can be carried by the wicks, too large a diameter coil= too much fuel= runaway (not good).

I have seen a video on youtube where someone has a coil mounted above an open fuel container with the wicks submerged within the fuel and the coil still gives an aggressive flame proving that the pressure is generated in the coil itself.

I guess what I'm fumbling to say is that the high pressure refers to the coil rather than the system as a whole.
― Mae West
1965 wite
Swill Maker

Post by 1965 wite »

what about say some 160proof for tiki torches? Too flamable? I havent tried it yet but it seems to burn pretty slowly on the ground as tiki torch oil does. ???
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Should work but you won't get a whole lotta light from it.

tp