WTF? Are we under attack?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

WTF? Are we under attack?

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Husker posted a warning but I thought I'd get some dialog going on it. Tried to get on this morning and saw I had been logged out(I log on automatically each visit). No big deal, happens sometimes. Tried to log in and my password wouldn't work. Got the message after the first try that I had exceeded the number of login attempts and was required to answer a silly question to try again. I gather from Huskers post that's not normal. Failed to login several more times and eventually had to click "forgot my password" and get a new one sent to my email. So WTF? Doesn't seem like normal server problems to me. Of course I no zero about such things. My first thought was "Oh,shit I pissed off the Management and they blocked me. I was pretty toasty last night did I say something I shouldn't have? " :lol: Whatdaya think? Am I just paranoid or are they really out to get me? :esurprised:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Husker
retired

Re: WTF? Are we under attack?

Post by Husker »

Please change passwords.

If you have chosen an easy password (like 'password', etc), then CHANGE it.

We may be under attack. If so, it appears to be someone without 'too' much skill. They simply appear to be trying to brute force users accounts. However, if your password is super easy, then they may certainly succeed.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Smokehouse Shiner wrote: Am I just paranoid or are they really out to get me? :esurprised:
Yes. :wink:
Braz
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

ImageImage
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

me too.. does oreocookie1 sound like a good one?
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Braz wrote:
Smokehouse Shiner wrote: Am I just paranoid or are they really out to get me? :esurprised:
Yes. :wink:
Thought so...
Mr.Spooky wrote:me too.. does oreocookie1 sound like a good one?
spooky
me too.. does oreocookie1 sound like a good one?
spooky
Damnit spooky you stole mine now I gotta change it again. :?
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Don't know if this is related but the system won't let me change my password. Keeps saying that the confirmation password is incorrect even though I know it isn't. I've tried several times.
I do all my own stunts
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Ask an admin to give you a new PW and then change when you get into the forum. I had to do the same thing. It isn't a problem.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I got locked out for some time. Not able to post, send pm's or emails. even tried to create a new account but it wouldnt let me do that either. Not allowed to reregister with the same email address. even created a new email address and tried to reregister but that didnt work.

Eventually something must have got through because the old password worked. just what is going on?
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I use an Open-Source (Free) Password Manager... Click Here...
Lets me make unique, high strength passwords that I dont need to remember...

Works for me.... Just make sure your Master Password is a good one... :wink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

The password 'complexity' on the site has been increased. The site will force people to use stronger passwords when they change them. Before there was no constrains, so there are likely a lot of weak passwords. Forcing a stronger password, will eliminate the problem of script kiddies trying to brute force 'common' super weak passwords.

So far, most of the people that I am aware of who got a message about too many log in failures, were 'mostly' mod/mentor/admins.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.