Who should I trust here?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Who should I trust here?

Post by Rum Bum »

Hey guys,

I think this is the best spot to ask this question. A few days ago I put up a thread in the Classifieds to try and sell my copper pot still. I got an offer but I'm not sure how to tell if the person is a real buyer or a po po. He just opened an account the day he sent me his first message.

Help please,
Rum Bum
rad14701
retired

Re: Who should I trust here?

Post by rad14701 »

Personally, I would be hesitant to do business with any new member attempting to buy or sell in these forums until they have participated enough to gain a level of trust...

We have at least one or two low post count members offering goods that members should be careful in dealing with... We really don't need folks joining here just to try to make a buck - or to potentially entrap unknowing members...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

What a strange question. :|
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Bum »

blanikdog wrote:What a strange question. :|
From the one and only Rum Bum.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

go with your gut man. if it dont feel right, it probably aint.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Bum »

I sold it to someone who signed up for Home Distillers forums the same day he emailed me. With ZERO posts. I went with my gut and he was a trustworthy source. I guess they don't have to be veterans of the site to be genuine rum bums!
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Rum Bum wrote:I sold it to someone who signed up for Home Distillers forums the same day he emailed me. With ZERO posts. I went with my gut and he was a trustworthy source. I guess they don't have to be veterans of the site to be genuine rum bums!
Well, you got away with it this time, but caution should always be paramount... I'm always the sceptic when it comes to hard cash... :wink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I wouldn't trust me, but that's just me. :| :| :|
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

""It's not illegal to buy and sell the stills and part, is it?""
this is a NO BUT,,
when you make a still it is supposed to be registered,then each time it is sold it
needs to have a record of to whom,then it is up to that person to register it.
so to be legal there is a "paper trail".(similar to hand guns in most of US)
there are exceptions to this,, 1) if it holds less than 5 quarts(check state)
2)if some how it is designed so it can only be used for water.
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

What if the still is sold in two pieces (or more). Column is sold on one invoice and the boiler on a second. The unit is not sold as one. Then you are just selling parts or wall art....That eliminates the whole registering deal.....Or sell the thing as a erector set, it's not still until it's assembled....Just thinking out loud here...
thinking inside the box is for squares....
retlaw
Swill Maker

Post by retlaw »

stills don't have to be just for shine,
they are used in the essential oil industry,
most of these oils are distilled, but not all, depends on the plant,
and there is no laws against that,
so if you are worried about selling a still because you think it makes you look like your doing a illegal activity just say you use it for distilling essential oils,
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

NONE
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

you can trust me 8) 8) 8) 8) want some candy???? 8) 8) 8)
spook
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use PayPal, I don't think anything is full proof but seems to be a little safer.

On another note
by retlaw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 am

stills don't have to be just for shine,
they are used in the essential oil industry,
most of these oils are distilled, but not all, depends on the plant,
and there is no laws against that,
so if you are worried about selling a still because you think it makes you look like your doing a illegal activity just say you use it for distilling essential oils,
I was in Portland Oregon a couple of weekends ago and tried to visit the Essential Oil company. They sell Alembic stills from Portugal but they were closed on the weekend. I was bummed because I wanted to ask some questions and just get a feel for them other than the pictures I have seen.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

"they are used in the essential oil industry,""
yes but if you use alcohol in processing then you need a permit.(even if you bought the alcohol)
and very seldom stills larger than 5 quarts are used,unless you were in a industry setting.
and then you need a license for that.there are other chemicals that can be used.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

""S3: I've seen ads for home distilling equipment in catalogs ("turn wine into brandy," "make your own essential oils"). Is it legal to buy and use a still like that?

Under Federal rules administered by TTB, it depends on how you use the still. You may not produce alcohol with these stills unless you qualify as a distilled spirits plant (see earlier question). However, owning a small still and using it for other purposes is allowed. You should also check with your State and local authorities - their rules may differ.

A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules. If you buy a small still and use it to distill water or extract essential oils by steam or water extraction methods, you are not subject to TTB requirements. If you produce essential oils by a solvent method and you get alcohol as a by-product of your process, we consider that distilling. Even though you are using and recovering purchased alcohol, you are separating the alcohol from a mixture -distilling.""
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

As I said originally, "What a strange question". I mean, fancy askin a question like that. What sort of answer did s/he expect? A list of untrusworthy members or what., fer crissake.

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

<drift>
Most seasoned members here know this but it bears repeating for any novices doing research...

According to the US authorities, even producing any form of alcohol as a byproduct of distillation is illegal... That means that even if you are attempting to distill botanicals and use something like denatured alcohol as part of the process you will have broken the law as soon as any alcohol exits the distilling apparatus, whether intentional or not... Not that you'd use alcohol to extract essences, but you get my point... The size of the distillation apparatus is irrelevant, it is the extraction of alcohol that crosses the legal boundaries...

How this relates to the laws of countries other than the US is subject to each individual countries laws as they pertain to distillation in general...
</drift>
paintball
Novice

Post by paintball »

Read somewhere, maybe on here, if distilling a gallon or under,.. aka: tedious still er,.. easy still, that you dont need a federal permit here in the US? :?:
Will this ballon float or can some of you shoot it down,... careful aim now,..
What it is, what it was, what it never will be again. 'mise well enjoy it now!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

paintball wrote:Read somewhere, maybe on here, if distilling a gallon or under,.. aka: tedious still er,.. easy still, that you dont need a federal permit here in the US? :?:
Will this ballon float or can some of you shoot it down,... careful aim now,..
100% False... Size doesn't matter... ANY distillation of alcohol is illegal... Not just Ethanol... ANY alcohol...

Back in high school we did a distillation of wood experiment which we were informed was illegal... That was what got me started because after we got methanol out of wood I wanted to see what else could be distilled... Blame it on my IPS instructor... :egeek:
pistachio_nut
Swill Maker

Post by pistachio_nut »

I'd rather recycle a little copper than pull a little time and get a record.
Not typically one to floss
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Bum »

"We're only on this Earth for a short time, make it fun." ~Prof. Thomas Morin

Lance
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

:mrgreen: ......