$@mn snakes!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

$@mn snakes!

Post by junkyard dawg »

This morning my dog has a hugely swollen and tender leg... most likely bit by a copperhead. She's feeling pretty low... Vet thinks she'll be ok. So right around noon, I'm outside and the new puppy yelps and runs out from under the trailer in front of my shop. I look under there and theres about a 5 foot rat snake hanging off the axle... bit him right at the base of his tail... :wtf: I mean it... wtf???
this is the internet
Rum Bum
Swill Maker

Re: $@mn snakes!

Post by Rum Bum »

Your dog has a strong soul if she lives through that!

RB
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

poor dog.

http://www.fort.usgs.gov/resources/educ ... _snake.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

just an idea!

maybe feed it to the dog, karma kind of thing!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

You know, a couple of weeks ago I went to the post office to pick up a package... There were some ladies standing there talking... I overheard one of them talking about cooking a 'chicken snake'. Thats a rat snake around here... There are tons of them... She said it was kind of bland and rubbery... :thumbdown:

The dog with the bad bite is very healthy. She's a black mouth cur/ red heeler mix. She's feeling pretty low and is currently incontinent... peeing on herself a lot. Thats apparently a symptom of copperhead bites. I think she'll be fine in a few hours.
I sure hope so... momma LOVES that dog. Me too...
this is the internet
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Sorry to hear about that Dawg, I worry about that here too ....I have a german shepherd

here's pics of two different snakes I found on the property in 1 week !

this one was settin at the botton of the back steps one mornin :shock:
004 (2s).jpg
this one was settin out by the trash one evenin :wtf:
016 (2s).jpg
tis the season, keep an eye out,
NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Sorry to hear about the dogs JD, the snakes we have here in Scotland are harmless and we hardly see them anyway...

Hope he gets well soon man... :thumbup:

Just hate to hear of a pet being hurt... :(
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Thanks for the well wishes.

Its just crazy that both dogs get bit by two different snakes in the same 8 hours... :crazy:

I'm spending the rest of the day inside, relaxing with the dogs...
this is the internet
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Damn shame they both got bitten.

Use to live on an island infested with brown snakes our dog was a long haired mongrel
He never got bitten but the short haired dogs did...... and didn't always live to tell the tale.
Hope all goes well

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

My Uncle Dick was retired from the army and lived back in the hills in Virginia. He drank quite a bit, so much that the state took away his driver's license. He bought himself one of those little 50cc motor scooters that you don't need a license for in order to get around.

One day his ol' coon dog got into a whole nest of copperheads and was bit up good. Dick loved that dog. Only thing he could think of was to get him to the vet pronto. So Dick lays the very sick dog across the saddle of the scooter, gets on himself - scooched back onto the passenger part of the seat - and heads down the mountain twenty miles to the vet.

Turned out OK. Both the dog and Uncle Dick survived but the image of this big guy and his big dog riding that little scooter into town is priceless.

Good luck. Hope it all turns out OK.
Braz
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Great story Braz!
this is the internet
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

a dog (or a person) can live through a copperhead bite. seems like it will just cause some necrosis. be prepaired to take care of open wounds. i use to have a copperhead. but when me and the GF moved in together,, she said "no venomous"!!!!!!
iv been trying to talk her into a pigmy rattle snake for 3 years now. its still a no go. atleast i got my pythons :D
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

we got rattlers around here but on in dry areas. so we gotta keep the dogs away from rockpiles in the corner of fields and dry ditches.

our smallest dog (8 months old) got hit by a car three weeks ago. broke her femur and did a little damage to the hips. expensive vet bill and 3 weeks of carying her outside 5 times a day shes starting to get a little mobile with the 3 leg hop.
no fun when your pup gets hurt.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

copperheads are a little different than most snakes. they will use there camo.. most snakes (rats to rattlers) will try their best go get out of your way as lond as you make noise and have heavy footsteps,,,,, but a copperhead will let you sit down beside him.
luckaly (in most cases) they wont kill you.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

yeah, They do blend right in... I was leaving the place on a motorcycle the other day and found one in the road at the corner of our property. I'm not one to kill snakes... I appreciate their place in the food chain... I also hate rats/mice... :evil:

I stopped and watched him for a little bit, then let him go about his business... I wonder if he's the one that cost me that big vet bill this morning???

Anyhow, the dog, Lilly, is back to her normal self. I'm trying to keep her calm for a little longer, but her breed is pretty high energy. I can't believe how her leg swelled up so big and shrank back to normal in a day!

The other dog that got bit by the rat snake... He's a catahoula... he forgot about it about 10 seconds after it happened... :clap:
this is the internet
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hope she developes a new level of awareness,,,,,for the sake of forthcoming vet bills.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Hope she developes a new level of awareness
x2

I hope we all do... :D
this is the internet
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

junkyard dawg wrote:I hope we all do...

Puh,,,,,,I know,,,right?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap:
this is the internet
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

The snakes we have got here are pretty lethal, even the juveniles can kill. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

olddog wrote:The snakes we have got here are pretty lethal, even the juveniles can kill. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

OD
The juveniles are usually the worst. They don't have control over how much venom they release. They give you all they have. The adults can hold some back so if they need to bite a second Target they can.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

olddog wrote:The snakes we have got here are pretty lethal, even the juveniles can kill. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Them oz snakes are scary shit. Taipan's and browns. No thank you! Aggressive and super deadly.

Copperheads do cause problems, but you almost never die. You normally have quite a while to get antivenin injection with a copper head. My great grand pap got hit by a pretty big one when he was tending garden (around Houston area). He was 92. He was pretty frail to start with, but was back in the garden the next day.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Glad to hear that both the dogs are fine JD... Good News... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Glad to hear the dogs are doin fine.
Read out to the wife the comments about copperheads and other snakes being dangerous.......

She recons the one that scares her the most is the trouser snake.....
Can't says as I blame her.

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it