I AM RUINED !!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

I AM RUINED !!

Post by mash rookie »

You guys already know I love my UJSSM. Well, early in the week I finished up my last bottle of UJSSM. I have some on oak that is not ready yet so I decided to head to the liquor store.

I bought a bottle each of my two favorite bourbons. Knob Creek (my favorite) and Jim Beam (my daily drink) to hold me off until I have more UJSSM ready to drink.

That was Wed afternoon. Wed evening after dinner I poured a Knob Creek on the rocks.
I thought damn. This tastes like crap. When I finished it I rinsed my glass and poured A Jim Beam on the rocks. I didn’t like that either.

Okay, Last night I poured a Jim again. It was better. Later I had a Knob it was also better. Alright, my taste for them is coming back.

I had a few, 3–4 ? last night. I have a FUCKING headache this morning.

I am Ruined. :cry: :cry: :cry:
blind drunk
retired

Re: I AM RUINED !!

Post by blind drunk »

It's bound to happen.
I do all my own stunts
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sounds like a bigger problem if your UJSSM recipe isn't ready by Poulsbo. I am finding out that preplanning is everything when it comes to aging and timing!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Bushman wrote:Sounds like a bigger problem if your UJSSM recipe isn't ready by Poulsbo. I am finding out that preplanning is everything when it comes to aging and timing!
OMG That would be a bitch. I am going to start shaking my aging batches twice a day! I might have to take some white dog just so I can wake up feeling okay.

Maybe I can put oak chips in my glass with my ice? Let it age in my system?

Damn Damn Damn. I got to start working on that preplanning thing. I need to get a flute built and start making bigger batches.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Done the same with a bottle of JD a year ago, learnt that lesson fast... :thumbdown:

Get a brew on at least once a month or so, that way you'll know that you've got some aged UJ coming regularly...

Thats if, unlike me, you can keep yer mouth away from it... :lol:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Once you're spoiled by decent spirits it's tough to go back to tossing down store bought... I can still drink store bought scotch but not much else... Knob Creek tastes awful to me these days... I just can't seem to get the taste out of my mouth...

You aren't ruined, you have merely acquired a more discerning palate... 8)
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Poured a double shot of Makers Mark the other night, added a little ice and a wee splash of water. Took a sip and it tasted off, ended up dumping it out and going to the shed for a half gallon of UJSM.

So, I thought, I'll save the Makers Mark for my bride, nope! She tasted it and said, "this isn't homemade, I can't drink this stuff".

So, I know how important it is to keep the pipeline up and running.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Personally, I've consumed likker, in moderation, all my adult life and never knew it could taste so wonderful, not just good, until I started distillin'. I was thinkin' last night, if this stuff didn't make me drunk I'd want to drink it all the time! I was always a scotch drinker, couldn't stand bourbon or rum, but now that I make my own I find that they have wonderful flavors that store bought never had. What's even better is I haven't had a katzenjammer since, and occasionally I do have one too many.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I had a Crown Royal last month and it was like sipping from my feints jug. It took me three hours, of barely sipping, to finish 1 $5.00 ounce. I remember liking CR, which is why I ordered it from the bar. Maybe it was just a bad batch ... or something. Whatever the case, I dug up my old pewter/stainless flask and keep it handy for when we go out :mrgreen:
I do all my own stunts
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Recently was offered a scotch...... thought OK will try.
It was crap
Johnny Walker red.. tipped it out

Realised that from now on it's my own or nuthin.

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

All these silly shiners with loverly stills DUMPING ALCOHOL DOWN THE DRAIN! Wtf? Yep - store bought is crap, if you bought it or were given it then dilute to 40 and rerun with whatever else you have around, if nothing else it should make some acceptable neutral :moresarcasm:
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

It's a bugger isn't it. I've been a little bit crook for the last six months or so and haven't had the strength or urge to distill and I'm running a bit low on aged likker. I drink Italian or Tasmanian beer these days to get me through the drought. No bought spirits thank you very much.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I've grown somewhat lazy myself, recently... Between work and other real life crap I don't get a run off until I'm out of drinkable spirits... My washes sit patiently clearing and then racked into secondaries until I'm desperate... And I have a brand new unopened bottle of Dewars that I could be drinking but have neglected for about three months already...

I'm hoping to do several runs in the near future to build up my stock...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yea, I have company from the East Coast visiting, she works at the Pentagon in Home Land Security so not only can't I start a new batch for a week everything is hidden away!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I remember when looking for recipes months ago a member said " Mash, I am a sweet feed junky! try it"

I guess I have turned into UJSSM junky. I have a couple of batches aging but nothing fermenting.

I was planning on taking the summer off from distilling. With the weather finally improving I am hoping to spend more time at my boat.

I am planning for and gathering parts for my flute build. It will probably be done in a few weeks. I work on it a little here and there as I get time. (My mind is working on it every day)

Once my new flute is done I wont be able to resist nocking up a few batches and taking her out for a test drive.

Just when I thought I was out It pulls me back in
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Once you have drank good home made likker, no store bought will satisfy the taste buds :!:
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Yea, I have company from the East Coast visiting, she works at the Pentagon in Home Land Security so not only can't I start a new batch for a week everything is hidden away!
Careful, Homelanders have good noses.
I do all my own stunts
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Yes i agree and so does the wife we both were die hard Jack fans up to the day I figured out that I can possibly partake and in a reasonable time get this hobby down to were i can enjoy the product that has come from ( the vast amounts of info and time others put in to this) and the equipment I have built with help from others equip. and posts to make something that does not compare we are also ruined we had a few drinks at dinner one nite from the bar one taste and we both ordered water. Cheers to all that make this happen no more heads hangover WE R RUINED
It is what you make it
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

I used to like jim beam Black, that didn't last long once I started to make my own.
eventually I had to shell out the coin to get Makers Mark, now it tastes like its laced with heads.
I enjoyed Bulliet, but I can't drink it anymore unless its mixed.
right now there are only two readily available bourbons in my area I can drink
Evan Williams single barrel, and Woodford Reserve.
I've tried knob creek and it tastes like a slightly more refined version of Jim Beam, which still sucks.
running out of product gets expensive in this hobby.

good thing I like rum, theres still some very nice rum available without getting too expensive.

butistillcantstandbacardiVB
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I can drink evan williams, but mine is better. I do like a little woodford reserve.

makesmethinkofdingowheniwritelikethiswoof.
this is the internet
wildrover
Swill Maker

Post by wildrover »

I'm really careful to make sure I'm not just being a whiskey snob, but yeah the one thing I really have become sensitive to is heads in commercial bourbons. I personally really notice it in Knob creek and Maker's Mark.
HellsWintr
Novice

Post by HellsWintr »

I did not like whiskey at all! I hated it. I wouldnt drink it save someone's life, that is until i made a batch of UJSSM. Holy crap! we put back half a gallon so far. It's amazing I'm on the 4th generation now. This stuff is just so good.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

wildrover wrote:I'm really careful to make sure I'm not just being a whiskey snob, but yeah the one thing I really have become sensitive to is heads in commercial bourbons. I personally really notice it in Knob creek and Maker's Mark.
Yup, bought a couple bottles of Bulleit Bourbon recently coz it was on sale and I'm low on homemade. 90 proof. Would have been pretty good if it wasn't for the god awful headsiness. Headache with a cork... Mrs. Smokehouse had a drink and damn near gagged. She didn't know exactly why but she did know it weren't right and described the heads taste to aT. She loves her whiskey and I recon I've spoiled her too.
HeadsCutWeDontNeedNoStinkinHeadsCut
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Just started another UJSSM form scratch with 10L of backset I had in the freezer...

Just to keep the stocks up for next year... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

so it's not just me?

went out for a few with the lads last night. i actually havent bought anything commercial since i built my still. used to be a big jim black drinker, and was quite pleased to find they stocked the stuff in the pub we were in. after a few cloudy ciders, enough is enough, and i moved onto the top shelf.

before i even got the glass to my lips, something wasnt right. acidic sting with wet cardboard undertones. not a happy man!

spent the rest of the night back on the cider, with a sour look and an untouched glass of bourbon. the worst bit was, i couldnt tell anyone why i was pissed off.

damn law.

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Anyone who has drank any amount of scotch knows very well what tails taste and smell like... I have always called scotch "blotter water" because of the smelly wet cardboard paper taste and smell... I have no clue why I drink it... Originally it was because I disliked the taste so that kept me from drinking too much... But after three or four that dislike fades and its like you're drinking ice water... I can't drink much scotch these days because I start getting a headache while I'm still drinking... I guess I've spoiled myself... :wink:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

whiskymonster wrote:so it's not just me?

went out for a few with the lads last night. i actually havent bought anything commercial since i built my still. used to be a big jim black drinker, and was quite pleased to find they stocked the stuff in the pub we were in. after a few cloudy ciders, enough is enough, and i moved onto the top shelf.

before i even got the glass to my lips, something wasnt right. acidic sting with wet cardboard undertones. not a happy man!

spent the rest of the night back on the cider, with a sour look and an untouched glass of bourbon. the worst bit was, i couldnt tell anyone why i was pissed off.

damn law.
Haha,,,Its the craziest thing aye? Take time away from the store bought cuz yer makin yer own.....Not sure what to make of the taste but the buzz is very clean......Coool.

But then you sample some commercial 6 months down the road and it's like,,,,,,,,,,OY,,,,,,,,who changed the way what used to be my favorite stuff is made? Taste like shite..
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

you just cant beat good home made beverage :thumbup: ...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Kentucky shinner wrote:you just cant beat good home made beverage :thumbup: ...
Pretty well homemade anything is best.
I do all my own stunts
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

This has been a fun thread from the start. How damn true. We are all ruined.

I have been drinking more store bought lately as I am trying to hold off running again until my flute is done to make some more UJSSM. Yuk.

The last batch that I have on oak has been aging about six weeks now. I thought I would sample some last night to see how it coming along.

It is still needs a little more time. It is a little light in color but smooth.
Holy shit it tastes great! The flavor is so good already that I am going to have to try really hard not drink it before its time.

Half done UJSSM is ten times better than store bought!

Sam, I have frozen backset too. It calls to me from the freezer..............use me......