liquor soap dispenser idea

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

luther-blissett
Bootlegger

liquor soap dispenser idea

Post by luther-blissett »

Was thinking, I know you can make these yourself:

But of course the pump pipe is always plastic. Would be nice if you could get an all metal pump, then for small gatherings you could use it as a little liquor dispenser. I know all metal soap dispensers have been used for doing this in the prohibition, but they were bulky wall mounted type things. :think:
Bushman
Admin

Re: liquor soap dispenser idea

Post by Bushman »

Interesting, I would think it would be a lot easier to tip a bottle than pump from a jar but if it was an exact measurement (say a shot) it might be a fun idea. If you could get all metal, could you get it in all stainless steel?
luther-blissett
Bootlegger

yup I guess itd be more for the novelty. Dont see why you couldnt use stainless steel if thats what you mean. But yeah every single dispenser pump I've seen, the top may be metal but the pipe is always plastic. You get mason jars with spigots on the bottom too. That seems more doable considering the lack of an all metal dispenser pump.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

could you rip the bits out of a cheapo oil can? the old metal ones with the pump button?

i have seen a few of those around with all metal mech.
some of the old brass ones didnt even have a plastic grommet inside.

check the poundshop next time youre having a mooch. you might find a perfect cheap chinese stainless version.

or if you were really 'at one with the copper', you could build a simple ball bearing valve from scratch.

just a thought.

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The difference in viscosity between oil and spirits would most likely prove problematic... :think:
luther-blissett
Bootlegger

thank you whiskymonster. I dont know these oil cans but will look for them. The valve idea sounds interesting too. You get things like these (picture) but theyre ridiculously expensive. I cant figure out how you'd make one from scratch using a glass drill bit etc.

whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

yup. drilling glass is a royal pain in the ass.

i have had reasonable results using a large bore tap, and a diamond cutoff disc in the dremel.
takes some patience though, and the tap has to be larger diameter than the disc. also

i made a fountain display at work, looked like the wine bottle was constantly pouring into a pyramid of glasses via a small electric pump and a return tube. meant drilling a hole in the wine bottle. problem is with cheap glass, you get almost all the way through, and as soon as a pinhole opens up the damn thing cracks.

and thinking about it, rad is probably right. i reckon an oil pump would work, but if the ball valves arent perfect the viscosity of the spirit would allow it all to slowly drip back down the uptake pipe. just means you'd have to pump a couple times to prime it again each time, which kinda defeats the metered output point.

unless you used a cheap rubber grommit......kidding!

alcohol is a pain in the arse aint it?

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
luther-blissett
Bootlegger

Ah, sounds like that was a pain. Yeah, it seems the things you want always is unavailable or its died out and been replaced by cheap inferior 'improvements.' Like things in the old days were made to last, now its made to break.