Moonshine article questionnaire

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BarcodeNate
Novice

Moonshine article questionnaire

Post by BarcodeNate »

Hey everyone,

I posted yesterday about an article I'm putting together for Barcode magazine about modern-day moonshine culture and the debate over whether or not it should be legalized. That post can be found here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=22109

I was messaged by a user (Thanks Tater) who suggested that I post a questionnaire on the forums so that people can easily respond if they don't feel comfortable talking over the phone or email. These are just a few questions that will help us get a better idea about what the distilling process is like from the people who are actually doing it. Like I said in the last post, we've talked to plenty of experts and researchers about the subject, including Max Watman and Sky Sutton, but getting actual 'shiners to talk (even anonymously) has been a bit more difficult, and getting their voices in the story is one of the most crucial parts. Again, this would all be anonymous. We're just looking to get the shiners' voices in the article in any way that we can.

Here are a few questions that I was curious about. It would be great if anyone could respond to them. Feel free to respond to all or pick and choose any of them.

What was it that first got you into distilling?

What motivates you to continue distilling despite the fact that you have to do it in secrecy?

What in your opinion makes distilling your own liquor more appealing than buying it from the store?

Do you like to experiment with different tastes and ingredients or do you generally stick to a recipe that you know works?

Do you distill on your own or is it more of a community in your area where multiple people are involved and interacting?

Do you think home distilling should be legalized? Where do you think moonshine will be 10 years from know in regards to legality and popularity?

Lastly, if there are any 'shiners who are willing to talk with us further about anything moonshine related, we would gladly adhere to whatever anonymity guidelines were agreed upon and could share drafts of the piece in advance as proof. Again, you can contact me at on this forum and I can also be reached at 773-850-1590 or natemattise@gmail.com.

Thanks for your responses.

-Nate
rad14701
retired

Re: Moonshine article questionnaire

Post by rad14701 »

Nate, I am going to suggest this here as I think it will improve your credibility... Can you please give us enough personal information, aside from a telephone number and a web address, to prove who you really are...??? After all, you're the one asking our membership to potentially incriminate themselves because we all know that virtually any form of communications is traceable... If you expect us to hang our asses out over the line the very least we could expect is for you to do the same... In the real world we call it verifiable credentials...

Why do I seem hesitant...??? You are offering up a Gmail email address, not one associated with any official business, media group, or publication... Pardon my ignorance but I've never heard of an iPad based publication so I question the legitimacy... And the fact that my laptop did something a bit funky when I attempted to visit the site in your link, and doing a lot of PC security work on a daily basis, doesn't ease my concerns... Just remember, you're not the first person to come here portraying the same basic intentions...

I'm going to compare this topic, whether legitimate or not to several methods of entrapment used over the years to get people to drop their guard and divulge more information than they should... Many criminals have been brought to justice using what at the time seemed like relatively innocent curiosity... Combine that with human natures innate desire to brag and you have the recipe for disaster...

All that said, Nate, you may be as honest and legitimately bonafide as the day is long... I just want you to know that folks may be, and should be, somewhat skeptical... And forum members should think with a heightened awareness should they decide to participate in correspondences outside these forums with Nate or his associates...

Lest we forget, safety, first and foremost... :|

Alright, folks, have at it... Answer the questionnaire if you so desire... :wave:
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

And the fact that my laptop did something a bit funky when I attempted to visit the site in your link, and doing a lot of PC security work on a daily basis, doesn't ease my concerns
Hey rad, could you please elaborate. I have no intention of pursuing this but am curious about what you experienced when you attempted to visit his site. Thanks.
I do all my own stunts
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

blind drunk wrote:
And the fact that my laptop did something a bit funky when I attempted to visit the site in your link, and doing a lot of PC security work on a daily basis, doesn't ease my concerns
Hey rad, could you please elaborate. I have no intention of pursuing this but am curious about what you experienced when you attempted to visit his site. Thanks.
My web browser, Firefox, blanked out to a totally white screen like a virus or malware was going to kick in... I bounced into task manager and killed Firefox before anything finished digging in... I'm a quick-draw on things like this and usually have task manager open when browsing, just in case... May have simply been a coincidence... I haven't run any scans yet but will be soon...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

May have simply been a coincidence... I haven't run any scans yet but will be soon...
Thanks for keeping an eye out for our safety and well being, coincidence or not :thumbup:
I do all my own stunts
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I post on here almost daily. I know it's nothin' ta do if thay want to come and get me, or any of us, unless we got some kinda special software that hides us. So I'll answer some questions?

Well, I'm not much of a beer drinker so I been drinkin' spirits, mostly Scotch, most of my life. I know several individuals who produce "moonshine," some for profit some for personal use and I just got curious. Talked about it a lot and then just said, "What the H***!"

What motivated you to continue distilling despite the fact that you have to do it in secrecy?

Well, it ain't exactly a secret. Like I said if the revenoors want to, it's really easy for them to trace it back to my computer, and then, its curtains, I'm busted. But, to answer your question; once I finally figured out what I was doin', I realized I could not only make a better product than I could buy, but it was ultimately less expensive, and it was something I really enjoyed doing.

What in your opinion makes distilling your own liquor more appealing than buying from the store?

Already answered.

Do you like to experiment with different tastes and ingredients or do you generally stick to a recipe that you know works?

I'm all over the map! Each mash is a new experiment. Fact is I've never done a "Tried and True Recipe" from this forum. I'd certainly recommend them to a new distiller because I can see how easy they are, but that's not me. A big attraction to this hobby is the infinite variety for experimentation it offers.

Do you distill on your own or is it more of a community in your area where multiple people are involved and interacting?

For me it is an extremely personal endeavor.

Do you think home distilling shoulkd be legalized?

Absolutely!!

Where do you think moonshine will be 10 years from now in regards to legality and popularty?

Popularity: Approaching mainstream. Why pay the Big Corp if I can make better for less?

Legality: Right where it is today. Big Corp has a lot of money and influence!

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

I brewed beer for a couple of years and I own an orchard. I wanted a way to use some of the excess fruit instead of watching it rot.

What motivates you to continue distilling despite the fact that you have to do it in secrecy?

I like being self sufficient, and distilling is part of our heritage. I make better whiskey than you can buy. I know what's in it, and I know it's a quality product.

What in your opinion makes distilling your own liquor more appealing than buying it from the store?

See above.

I prefer to experiment.

It's a one person show here.

Do you think home distilling should be legalized? Where do you think moonshine will be 10 years from know in regards to legality and popularity?
It should be legal. The only reason it's not legal is because of the big money distilleries and their campaign contributions. It's not illegal to make ethanol, every one that brews beer or makes wine makes ethanol. So why is it illegal to change the concentration by distilling. Distilling also removes a lot of the solvents and unpleasant chemicals that beer and wine contain.

Bull
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

BarcodeNate wrote: What was it that first got you into distilling?
I had started making Mead and while doing additional research I came across this information

I've been a do-it-youself type (to a fault) all my life and this sets in well with that mindset. "Secrecy" per se but have a great group with which to converse here.

What in your opinion makes distilling your own liquor more appealing than buying it from the store? I have an extensive chemistry background from my Univ. days and to be able to apply so much of that information in a fun and enjoyable hobby is priceless. When I got here I had a pre-conceived idea of what was the goal of my pursuits. After spending a couple of months here I quickly came to realize how incorrect that idea had been and had learned to make liquor that far exceeded the quality of commercially available liquor.

Do you like to experiment with different tastes and ingredients or do you generally stick to a recipe that you know works? I experiment. I do like to suggest to folks just starting out to stick with one recipe for a time as this will significantly help the novice learn the process.

Do you distill on your own or is it more of a community in your area where multiple people are involved and interacting? By an large on my own. I have had members from here come over to my house and we ran a batch, but generally, on my own.

Do you think home distilling should be legalized? Where do you think moonshine will be 10 years from know in regards to legality and popularity? Yes it should be. As has been said -- consumable ethanol production is legal and home distilled product is much "cleaner". Ten years -- who knows. Every now and then we hear about legislation that looks at decriminalizing/legalizing home distillation. Personally, I think the commercial guys keep it illegal.

Lastly, if there are any 'shiners who are willing to talk with us further about anything moonshine related, we would gladly adhere to whatever anonymity guidelines were agreed upon and could share drafts of the piece in advance as proof. Again, you can contact me at on this forum and I can also be reached at 773-850-1590 or natemattise@gmail.com.

-Nate
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Thanks for that Rad. All valid points. STAY SAFE guys.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

BarcodeNate wrote:Lastly, if there are any 'shiners who are willing to talk with us further about anything moonshine related, we would gladly adhere to whatever anonymity guidelines were agreed upon and could share drafts of the piece in advance as proof. Again, you can contact me at on this forum and I can also be reached at 773-850-1590 or natemattise@gmail.com.
What is it that ya cant ask in a open forum?PM me if need be.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

Family history planted the seed, my chemistry lab classes allowed it to activate, but what eventrually watered it into a flourishing weed was a broadcast on NPR. I think it was "all things considered", regardless of the show, they were talking about the popularity of micro distilleries, about the "underground home distillation" movement that was happening, and about a book chasing the white dog. I suddenly realized, "I could do that!" And so it begun!!

I remember when I was about 5 years old/ 3rd grade-ish, and stole a pack of base-ball cards from the super market. I felt like a super ninja bad boy! I wanted something I couldn't have and made it happen. It used to be the only time i could even come close to that feeling was while playing D&D in middle school. Today I get that feeling every time i run a still and make a super top shelf product; whether it's a vodka that makes 3 olives take like rubbing alcohol or a whiskey that makes Knob Creek taste like Bellows. I love that feeling of getting what you want not because you "took" it but because you EARNED it!!!

The satisfication of knowing you MADE it! It's like golfing; watching it is nothing compared to doing it!It's just you and course. With distilling the 18 holes is mashing, fermenting, settling, distilling, cutting, aging, bottling, and drinking. The sand-traps are yourself. Just your impatience, your hurry, your day, your focus. Your skill, your expertise, your knowledge, distilling takes all of these. Unlike the golfer though, you have something REAL, in a bottle, and are able to share with anyone!

I'm a chef in my day job, so I experiment all the time!! I can't let it go. I'm always tweaking my still to find the best possible combination of plates in my column. I'm always tweaking the grain bill in my whiskey. Even after i make vodka I"m taking it and tweaking it with infusions and making gin with it! Life's too short to just eat red Skittles!!!

Just me. I've found several other people on this forum that are from the same state as I am. I've even found a few that i believe are in the same city I am. However, I haven't tried to make contact with them, not for a while at least. It's not that I'm afraid of getting caught by the law, It's that I haven't graduated college yet and even a 2% risk is more than i can afford right how!!! Chemical companies cannot hire people with certain crimes.
That being said I would love to be able to meet up monthly or bi-monthly in a club setting and share samples and discuss the latest seasonal ingredients to include into the next mash/ infusion. However It's Illegal, I guess I'm stuck in the moonshine closet :shh: !

Very much yes. I generally enjoy living in America and understand it isn't free. I consider myself a good citizen and so i pay what uncle sam asks of me. However, I don't' think it is unfair to ask to simply be given the freedom the wine makers or beer brewers enjoy. All my liquor USED to be one of those two things, I just concentrated several bottles into one 5th. I'm ok to let it be a serious crime to sell without a license, I just want to be able to share an activity with other people without having to keep it quite like I"m killing kittens or something evil like that!!
In 10 years? who knows.... Moonshine is tied up in culture. It's a part of our past, and if the trend that reintroduced Johny Cash and mainstreamed home brewing beer keeps up it will be legal in a few short year!

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Sorry, we don't make moonshine. We make top-shelf bootique likker like you never tasted yet.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Ayay wrote:Sorry, we don't make moonshine. We make top-shelf bootique likker like you never tasted yet.
:clap:
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

Ayay wrote:Sorry, we don't make moonshine. We make top-shelf bootique likker like you never tasted yet.
Mr. Spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Hell Yeah... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

this is the internet
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Just to show that I am not against answering the questionnaire itself, here is my personal submission... Nothing has been shared here that I would not otherwise openly share within these forums...

Nostalgia... Back in my youth we found the remains of a still and melted bottles in the burnt out basement where my great grandparents home once stood... Discovered that the farm had moonshining in its history and the bug bit... As I grew older I began experimenting with winemaking and distillation and have been doing so, on and off, for several decades although I have since discontinued winemaking...

I've been a lifelong tinkerer... I love figuring things out and working with my hands...

Two reasons... Making my own is cheaper for a number of reasons, with taxation probably being the biggest component of the added expense of commercial spirits... Plus the fact that my spirits are cleaner than commercial which makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience...

Yes, with me being a tinkerer I have always experimented with different recipes for wine, distilled spirits, and even food... I think we all have a goto recipe that we fall back on more regularly than others...

When it comes to home distillation, I'm a loner... Even after all these years very few people know that I participate in home distillation... Even my father didn't know until about a year ago when I learned that he had also participated many years ago...

I definitely believe that home distillation should be legalized or, better put, decriminalized... Governments around the world are spending too much time, effort, and money, chasing after home distillers who are doing little more than exercising their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness... We do our best to promote safety guidelines in an effort to improve upon the negative stigma which has plagued home distillation for many many years... I truly believe that with time the practice of home distillation will become too popular to ignore or be considered a criminal act...

Many other hobbies are far more dangerous to both participants and spectators than home distillation... More people are killed or seriously injured while participating in or watching sporting events than home distillation... And more people are killed or seriously injured in the process of performing home maintenance than home distillation... In fact more people are killed or injured by people being distracted by electronic devices while driving than by home distillation... Yet home distillation remains illegal and those apprehended and charged are punished far more severely than others, while some avoid punishment at all simply because the associated danger is considered acceptable in relation to the circumstances surrounding actual death or injury...

As for the taxation issue, the citizens of the free world, if you can really call it that, have been taxed enough... Using taxation as a means of control as well as revenue generation is becoming archaic in todays modern world... Governments need to adapt to the hectic pace at which our world is evolving... The use of taxation as a deterrent to ones pursuit of happiness simply doesn't fit well within the new working model of our global society...
BarcodeNate
Novice

Post by BarcodeNate »

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I fully understand that a lot of you are hesitant for good reason, so I appreciate those who have replied to this thread as well as those who have offered to talk further.

For those who are wondering about me and would like some more personal info, I currently live and am working out of Syracuse, NY. You can check out some of the other stuff I've written on my Wikipedia user page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NzMattis.

I'm working on this moonshine story with another Barcode writer, Shawn Arrajj, who can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Shawn_Arrajj. The two of us will be using this account together. We are also both on Facebook and LinkedIn.

In regards to the Barcode prototype site acting strange for some people, I think it is just a coincidence, but we'll look into it to see if we can identify the problem.

Anyway, to those who have sent pms offering to talk further, we will follow up once we see what other kinds of responses we get over the weekend and will likely get back to people on Monday. Thanks again for responding cooperatively with us. We understand that there is going to be a lot of suspicion, and we don't expect anyone to divulge personal info to every journalist who comes to the forum looking for sources.

In the event that we do use any of these responses in our story, we will be sure to get full permission from the user and establish how they want to be identified or what alias they would like to use. Until then, we look forward to continuing to hear your stories and opinions.

-Nate and Shawn
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

What was it that first got you into distilling?Dad made it .grandpa made it great grandpa made it and so did my great great grand dad .Plus Ive got a fondness for peach likker :wink:

What motivates you to continue distilling despite the fact that you have to do it in secrecy?.. Just like keeping the tradition alive.

What in your opinion makes distilling your own liquor more appealing than buying it from the store?Mine better then store bought

Do you like to experiment with different tastes and ingredients or do you generally stick to a recipe that you know works?I played around some but general stick to recipe once I get the taste I'm after

Do you distill on your own or is it more of a community in your area where multiple people are involved and interacting?mostly alone

Do you think home distilling should be legalized? Sure do Where do you think moonshine will be 10 years from know in regards to legality and popularity?I sure hope they make it legal but doubt it happens

Lastly, if there are any 'shiners who are willing to talk with us further about anything moonshine related, we would gladly adhere to whatever anonymity guidelines were agreed upon and could share drafts of the piece in advance as proof. Again, you can contact me at on this forum and I can also be reached at 773-850-1590 or natemattise@gmail.com. pm me if ya have any futher questions
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

BarcodeNate wrote:What was it that first got you into distilling?

Researching for fuel and concluded I had enough stuff in my scrap heep to build a likker still..

I always get a good chuckle when I here this term "restaurant quality". I recognize that great chefs/cooks are awesome and deserve recognition for being at the top of there game.........But with out a doubt,,, all of my best meals (and likker) have been home made.

Can get a much higher quality spirit for much less money spent. Although I will say that I have spent quite a bit of money on various builds. And plan on more building as my budget permits....Not sure how long it will take to get any return on my investment. This is my hobby. I don't own a boat or guns or stamps or what ever.....I like distilling as there is clearly a reward for studious stillling behavior

In theory,,,,,I love experimenting......In reality I rarely stray from my trusty rums. But I do drift within the panela rum,,,,,,,,,,,,obsession

Alone,,these good folks here on HD are my only outside contact with this here likker makkin. Also,,,this hobby can be as sophisticated or as simplistic as any hobbyist needs it to be......This hobby appeals to engineers and scientists and also the weekend tinkerer.....and then there are the the folks like Tater (and others) that prolly been around it for as long as they can remember. Some really smart Gents frequent these boards,,,,,pedigree'd or not...No demons...Good folks that trust they can supply them selves with better booze than the big boys...We have seen plenty of pictures of commercial outfits using substandard materials.............end of rant.

Surely do hope it is legalized. Popularity seems to be growing and would love to see hobby distilling get the same type of status as the beer and wine folks......As a point of intrest,,,,I can't even drink beer and wine any more as my likker is so much cleaner. Beer and wine make me feel terrible compared to my very very clean likker. Can't really say where the hobby movement will be in 10 years. Just hope the Feds don't start trying to tax our vegitable gardens

Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Also,,,,if I may say so?
It is always the default position of this forum to always maintain the position that safe stilling equipment/materials and methods should always be used.
Administrators and trusted members are always on guard to insure that anyone surfing though these boards/forums gets the best available guidance/information with which to practice this hobby.
We feel we have a responsibility to educate as best we can and create good stewards of this hobby.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

aint ever made no likker an aint gonna in the future.

ole boys wifes third cousins ma in laws nephews step pa before he died tole em.
they been makein likker all over the world since they had fire an all these new folks
cookin nowadays think they the first that ever made good likker. cooks is cooks always addin
a pinch of this a dash till they find what works. work ethics is work ethics an they wont
invented today. agein in barels wont invented today nor was takein it down.
you just make sure that the ole boys wifes third cousins ma in law nephew step pa words
is rembered but i kinda dout it cause folks dont wanna here they aint doin nothin new.

so im tole

aint no need to contact me
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

goose eye wrote:all these new folks
cookin nowadays think they the first that ever made good likker.
That ain't a fare statement.
My likker is better than what I can affordably buy......and that is my reality....And I read everything that you been teachin. Sept for a hand full of words here and there,,,,your words teach me the most...

At the very least my likker now,,, is better than my likker from a while back.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

goose eye wrote:aint ever made no likker an aint gonna in the future.

ole boys wifes third cousins ma in laws nephews step pa before he died tole em.
they been makein likker all over the world since they had fire an all these new folks
cookin nowadays think they the first that ever made good likker. cooks is cooks always addin
a pinch of this a dash till they find what works. work ethics is work ethics an they wont
invented today. agein in barels wont invented today nor was takein it down.
you just make sure that the ole boys wifes third cousins ma in law nephew step pa words
is rembered but i kinda dout it cause folks dont wanna here they aint doin nothin new.

so im tole

aint no need to contact me
And this is how a solid foundation is built. Tell them boys we tip our hats goose.
Mr. Spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Thanks for the reality check goose. As ever you nailed it spot on. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

hell son i cant teach nothin. i will tell you a story bout a ole boys setin up a ambuse on a village an smellin likker bein cooked.
they tore that place up an couldnt find no outfit. later on they learned they was usein wocks. they was cookin rice

so im tole
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

hell son i cant teach nothin.
ya said something there... :thumbup:
this is the internet
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

goose eye wrote:hell son i cant teach nothin.

so im tole
For someone who can't teach nothing. I sure do learn a lot from the words you type!
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Prairiepiss wrote:
goose eye wrote:hell son i cant teach nothin.

so im tole
For someone who can't teach nothing. I sure do learn a lot from the words you type!
That's why I pay attention to to every post Goose makes. He doesn't do much teaching but you sure can learn a lot from him if you pay attention.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

"i cant teach nothing"

read it right and it says he can teach...
this is the internet