Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by yakattack »

Picked up 6 -9 to 12 gallon hdpe barrels
11- 5 to 7 gallon hdpe barrels
And 1 - 4 to 5 gallon hdpe barrel.

All with lids and lock rings and all have carrying handles.

Price 40 bucks. And I can get as many as I want.

Some will be grain barrels as they are food safe dry storage. Some will be sugar wash barrels and some will be clearing barrels.

They were used for shipping food grade extracts,
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

jebus christ Yak, going all out there.
I'm on the fence about getting a120 l one as I can't fit it but holy hell 18 of them !!
Don't be a dick
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sounds like a good plan and great price yak! I would love to get 3 eight or 9 gallon fermentors since I built my new fermenting cart as it is tight with 4 six gallon fermenters. I have extra head space so thinking the larger fermentors might be a better setup for me.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Bushman wrote:Sounds like a good plan and great price yak! I would love to get 3 eight or 9 gallon fermentors since I built my new fermenting cart as it is tight with 4 six gallon fermenters. I have extra head space so thinking the larger fermentors might be a better setup for me.
They are so versatile. I also will be getting more to leave at peoples houses that have fruit trees. Switching out every few days as they are filled. Free fruit is awesome.

If you ever head up my way ( Detroit Windsor area.) Or somewhere close to that let me know and I can set a few aside for you. Same goes for any members that happen to be in the area.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

yakattack wrote:They are so versatile. I also will be getting more to leave at peoples houses that have fruit trees. Switching out every few days as they are filled. Free fruit is awesome.

If you ever head up my way ( Detroit Windsor area.) Or somewhere close to that let me know and I can set a few aside for you. Same goes for any members that happen to be in the area.

Yak
Damn Yak, now you make me wish I were back in Detroit...oh wait a minute...no, no I think not. Glad I made the leap and moved out here even if I can't get cheap fermenters or go to the Niagara icewine festival. Good plan on those fruit trees, absolutely brilliant!
I got what I think is a good deal today on my semi annual trip to Wal-Mart I found out the Fed Way Wal-Mart has begun carrying the 26 pound buckets of wheat for $16. Guess I need to start working on that steamer to make some all-grain wheat. :D
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

K Cranky, wally world may have some good deals but you gotta find yourself a feed store close by. you should be able to get a 50 lb sac of wheat for under 10 bux.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote:K Cranky, wally world may have some good deals but you gotta find yourself a feed store close by. you should be able to get a 50 lb sac of wheat for under 10 bux.
Maybe but I don't know of any feed stores that won't cost me at least $10 in gas round trip. Maybe if I like the results of what I make with this I will see what I can find but for now I'm pretty happy with 62 cents a pound.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Picked up a nice old WWI ammo box and a bigass cast iron deep skillet with lid for 5 bucks, for both. :)
ammobox.JPG
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Jimbo wrote:Picked up a nice old WWI ammo box and a bigass cast iron deep skillet with lid for 5 bucks, for both. :)
ammobox.JPG
You theivin hooligan
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
NgrainD
Bootlegger

Post by NgrainD »

Got a box of anti-static tinsel today 100% copper. Found a box of 35 yards laying under a cabinet at work. I asked around no one knew why it was there, they said I could have it. Free. May try to build a air condenser with it, or use some to stuff into my liebig project for vapor turbulence. I pulled a section back so you can see how it's made. This sample is a bit beaten up, the new stuff is very fluffy.
Attachments
rps20150602_142637.jpg
Experience is something you gain shortly after you need it.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Great score today, coworker sold his house, and had to clean it out. Scored 2 brutes. FREEBIES.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Looks like.a submersible still jimbo!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Picked up a nice old WWI ammo box and a bigass cast iron deep skillet with lid for 5 bucks, for both. :)
ammobox.JPG
Nice score on that chicken fryer Jimbo :thumbup: Is it a Wagner or a Griswold by any chance?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks cranky. No, its a Lodge.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Thanks cranky. No, its a Lodge.
Nice, I have an old antique Wagner. It is the one piece of cast iron I've kept over the year. Them chicken fryers are the best. That one is worth about $50-80 on ebay
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

It feels like forever since I've had something truly outstanding to post but today I was doing some necessary running around and took the time to stop at a thrift store. I have an antique decanter collection that I have been slowly and somewhat reluctantly liquidating since I have stopped using them for my prized alcohol after reading about potential lead contamination, but I still have several and can't help but notice them in thrift stores.

Well today there was was one on a shelf and as usual I picked it up to inspect it, it was simple and fairly plain but it had the feel of a quality piece that's difficult to explain unless you know glass.
BACC 1.JPG
Turning it over to look for a mark and sure enough there was one. Most glass marks can be pretty difficult to see and are sometimes fairly obscure often requiring at least some research to determine who exactly made it. This one on the other hand was the mark of a company most everybody has heard of
BACC 2.JPG
In case you cant make it out that says "Baccarat France" It was priced at $5.99 and as luck would have it the store was having 1/2 off everything :esurprised: So I got this nice Baccarat decanter for $3, It's not the highest end Baccarat but it's worth a bit over a hundred bucks so I am pretty happy. The manager also made a deal for a cute little electric mandolin for only $2.50. It's had the neck repaired but it's actually pretty nice. Maybe some day I will actually learn to play it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

A few years ago I upgraded my gps/sounder on my boat but did not add the radar package that comes with it. Fast forward, last year my radar dome went out and I wanted to purchase the one that goes with my newer system only to find out that they no longer produce that model. Found one on craigslist for $400.00, new they ran about $1400.00.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Couple dozen old glass mason jar lids with rings for 9$. Not the best price but they will last forever.
Attachments
14348219847381.jpg
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Got the perfect "wine thief" at the vet's office while getting some wormer for my horses. Also got one for a meat injector. For a bit over a buck each I'm pleased as punch!!
Attachments
Winethief.JPG
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Sltm1, I got a couple of big bags of those things from when I was doing home IV of antibiotics. They are graduated by ml and work well for measuring out liquid enzymes.
Bobbywolf
Novice

Post by Bobbywolf »

Been hunting around for something to ferment a surgar wash in, and came across an old fellow selling "large carboys". I actually went to check it out and came back with 5 of these demijohns for a great deal.

They are marked 54L (so 14.3gallons) All made in italy. I will likely never have all 5 going, but he wouldn't let me leave with just 3! lol
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Bobbywolf wrote:Been hunting around for something to ferment a surgar wash in, and came across an old fellow selling "large carboys". I actually went to check it out and came back with 5 of these demijohns for a great deal.

They are marked 54L (so 14.3gallons) All made in italy. I will likely never have all 5 going, but he wouldn't let me leave with just 3! lol
That's freakin awesome.

Pm me if you need to get rid of the other 2. Loving family awaits!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Danged nice find.
Bobbywolf
Novice

Post by Bobbywolf »

Shineon, I would gladly give up 2, but unless you are close to me in Nova Scotia, I'm sure shipping these monsters would be cost prohibitive.

I will say one thing, 5 were tough to fit into my small car lol!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Bobbywolf wrote:Shineon, I would gladly give up 2, but unless you are close to me in Nova Scotia, I'm sure shipping these monsters would be cost prohibitive.

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm just over the border (US), but your probably right. I guess it's kinda like bidding on an eBay that you know your not going win- kinda fun just to make an offer, if only for a moment :D .

Wish I could even find a 15 gal carboy.

Anyways, congrats!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
Bobbywolf wrote:Shineon, I would gladly give up 2, but unless you are close to me in Nova Scotia, I'm sure shipping these monsters would be cost prohibitive.

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm just over the border (US), but your probably right. I guess it's kinda like bidding on an eBay that you know your not going win- kinda fun just to make an offer, if only for a moment :D .

Wish I could even find a 15 gal carboy.

Anyways, congrats!
Where across the boarder. I've got 5 or six, I'd be willing to work something out if you are close enough
. Ontario myself just across the boarder.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

For anybody in the Seattle/Tacoma area, there is a True Value hardware in Federal way going out of business. Today their discount went down to 60-80% off. All of their copper fittings and valves are 80% off. Today I bought a bunch of stuff I need and don't need. I bought 50+ft of 1/2 tubing and 30+ft of 5/8 tubing for $20 each. I also couldn't help myself and bought both of the 4500W ultra low density watt water heater elements they had for under $7 each, and a short 4500W foldback low density watt element to replace the 3500W one in my little pot for $4. I'm thinking about maybe adding a 2nd element to my 15 gal. boiler but really don't think I need to or have the electrical capacity to spare so if anybody local that's coming to Bearriver's get together in a couple weeks needs one PM me and I'll try to remember to bring it along. In addition to this they still had and have lots of copper fittings and valves, including various misc, sizes I bought. I also bought a couple of 1/2" gate valves for 2 or 3 dollars but I saw they still had some 1.5 and 2" gate valves including some in bronze as well as brass. I almost bought one of the the 2" just because and was thinking a 1 or 1.5" might be good for a boiler drain. Last week I bought them out of copper pipe because the 3/4" was $6 a stick and the 1" was (I think) $14. Sadly some of this has already been converted to wind chimes for the wife but I have to keep her happy or she won't go along with my goofy ideas. I forgot to buy a couple of 1" NPT threaded fittings for use in case I wish to add another element. I found with my little pot that cutting one of those off and soldering it to SS was easier than soldering in a SS fitting so I meant to buy one but forgot. I guess I will need to go back tomorrow and see if they still have any.

I also made some nice scores at goodwill yesterday, getting 5ea 1/2 gallon mason jars for 20 cents each and a very expensive Waterford vase for $10.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

$80 on Craigslist today bought me a 55 gallon stainless steel barrel on 24" stainless legs with a fully draining port, an overhead mount for a motor mixer, and it's insulated. Only down side is that there isn't a good lid, but the plywood lid it came with will work fine for a fermenter or a mash tun.

They welded almost 4' of 4" stainless pipe you cant see in the picture to the back side for a overflow drain. I'm thinking of removing it to use it as a column section.
Attachments
Mash Tun.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That is a great find bearriver. :thumbup:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Got 3 30 gallon hdpe barrels for 10 € each, roll on the big ferments.
Attachments
2015-06-27 22_29_12-Clipboard.jpg
2015-06-27 22_29_12-Clipboard.jpg (14.04 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
Don't be a dick