Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by joeymac »

Picked up an excellent condition Great Lakes Brewery keg for like $45 off craigslist. No dents or dings... not really any scrapes either. This one will polish up nicely. Almost too nice to cut into... almost :P
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

RoadR wrote:
Pikey wrote:I just been to fetch some copper round head rivets I bought :) - Not sure if they're big enough tho' They turned out to be about 3/32 x 3/8 - but they were a real bargain :D £7.50 FOR ------- 2.4 Kg (about 5 1/2 lb )

I'll weight 'em up later and have a guess at how many thousand copper rivets I now have - and then get some tin and hammers out and practice learning to rivet !
How bout a riveter? Nice and reasonably priced @ screwfix (better than the normal gun for it has a swivel plate, so you could rivet inside a tight spaces too. http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-t ... eter/4079c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Wish I could RoadR - wrong rivits I'm afraid

25 grammes = 84 number :
copy ogf rivets 25g rsized.jpg

Whole box calculated at 7526
DSC_5111 - Copy (2).jpg

Which works out just a little more than "ten a penny"
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

joeymac wrote:Picked up an excellent condition Great Lakes Brewery keg for like $45 off craigslist. No dents or dings... not really any scrapes either. This one will polish up nicely. Almost too nice to cut into... almost :P
Sounds great jm - what size is that ?
RoadR
Novice

Post by RoadR »

Pikey wrote:
RoadR wrote:
Pikey wrote:I just been to fetch some copper round head rivets I bought :) - Not sure if they're big enough tho' They turned out to be about 3/32 x 3/8 - but they were a real bargain :D £7.50 FOR ------- 2.4 Kg (about 5 1/2 lb )

I'll weight 'em up later and have a guess at how many thousand copper rivets I now have - and then get some tin and hammers out and practice learning to rivet !
How bout a riveter? Nice and reasonably priced @ screwfix (better than the normal gun for it has a swivel plate, so you could rivet inside a tight spaces too. http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-t ... eter/4079c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Wish I could RoadR - wrong rivits I'm afraid

25 grammes = 84 number :
copy ogf rivets 25g rsized.jpg

Whole box calculated at 7526
DSC_5111 - Copy (2).jpg

Which works out just a little more than "ten a penny"
:oops: :oops: Silly old me thought you were tlking about the pop rivets :oops: :oops:
Vodka&Ice is bad for my stomach, Rum&Ice no good for my liver, whiskey&Ice is bad for my kidneys. I need to cut down on this bloody Ice
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I dolook longingly at those pop rivets :D Sadly they have steel shafts and I'm not convinced they will seal over the ends with the copper :?
RoadR
Novice

Post by RoadR »

Congrats on your purchase :thumbup: (should've said that first :oops: )

I was thinking about a sealed ends copper/ss like this one:
10906FK.png
Regs,
RR
Vodka&Ice is bad for my stomach, Rum&Ice no good for my liver, whiskey&Ice is bad for my kidneys. I need to cut down on this bloody Ice
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

Pikey wrote:
joeymac wrote:Picked up an excellent condition Great Lakes Brewery keg for like $45 off craigslist. No dents or dings... not really any scrapes either. This one will polish up nicely. Almost too nice to cut into... almost :P
Sounds great jm - what size is that ?
stainles half-barrel keg - 15.5 gallons.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

RoadR wrote:Congrats on your purchase :thumbup: (should've said that first :oops: )

I was thinking about a sealed ends copper/ss like this one:
10906FK.png
Regs,
RR
Can't fault that RoadR 8)

Looks like mine might be going up for sale ! - Might even make a profit :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

It's been a while since I've had anything to post here but finally the long dry spell is over :D

My wife bought $100 in cat food from Amazon last week which seems like a lot but I have two very spoiled indoor cats and a little homeless kitty tent city set up in the yard with two pretty spoiled outside cats :roll: Anyway, as usual a couple days later a big heavy box of cat food arrived, Yes my delivery guy hates me :moresarcasm: This happened right around the time Amazon had that big outage. Well a couple days ago for some mysterious reason a big heavy mystery box showed up on my nearly completed front porch. Opening it I found a second shipment of the same cat food we had just received. I guess the outage knocked out the record of our receiving the first shipment. Well unfortunately we tend to be honest people so my wife contacted Amazon and told them about their mistake and asked for a return label so we can send it back. They were nice enough but they refused to issue a return label saying that unfortunately those items were non returnable, so keep them or give them away. So basically Amazon just gave me enough free cat food worth the cost of my prime membership :ebiggrin: and I now have a years supply on hand. By the way, anybody in the Seattle area need a spare tuxedo cat or two? They come with a nice supply of free food :lol:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Cranky - are we about to see a thread where you try to ferment cat food?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

yakattack wrote:Cranky - are we about to see a thread where you try to ferment cat food?
:lol: :lol: You know Cranky is looking at this stuff with a curious eye,.... rolling it over in his hand, reminding himself its mostly cereal filler, hmmm what kind of cereal,... lets look at the bag. And that small protein content will only help the yeasties.... yup. "HONEY, I figgered out what to do with all this damn catfood."
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Right! And if he wasn't aleady he for sure is now.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I hereby issue cranky a cat food distillin' challenge!! :clap:

tp
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

T-Pee wrote:I hereby issue cranky a cat food distillin' challenge!! :clap:

tp
Seconded!
I got another 55 gallon plastic barrel free.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny guys but the wife says no :roll: Most of it is canned anyway and I have my hands full just keeping up with my current ferments.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

cranky wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny guys but the wife says no :roll:
So then you're saying you asked...
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
cranky wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny guys but the wife says no :roll:
So then you're saying you asked...
No, I was laughing so hard at what you guys said my wife was wondering what I was reading so I told her and she said no before I had a chance to even think about it :moresarcasm:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Seems your wife know you all to well too... sorry cranky I called that one right.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Jimbo wrote:
yakattack wrote:Cranky - are we about to see a thread where you try to ferment cat food?
:lol: :lol: You know Cranky is looking at this stuff with a curious eye,.... rolling it over in his hand, reminding himself its mostly cereal filler, hmmm what kind of cereal,... lets look at the bag. And that small protein content will only help the yeasties.... yup. "HONEY, I figgered out what to do with all this damn catfood."
This has been a pretty funny read, gave me a well needed laugh. :)
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

I can see cranky singing that Meow Mix jingle while running the still.

"Meow, meow, meow, meow...." :lol:
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

cranky wrote:My wife bought $100 in cat food from Amazon last week which seems like a lot...
No it doesn't seem like a lot, trust me. It's a lot less than what I buy each week :wtf:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

yakattack wrote:Seems your wife know you all to well too... sorry cranky I called that one right.
What can I say, we have been married a very long time :wink:
BayouShine wrote:I can see cranky singing that Meow Mix jingle while running the still.

"Meow, meow, meow, meow...." :lol:
Now you have me thinking, :problem: I don't want to use the food that goes to the homeless kitties or that expensive stuff the indoor cats eat but I could pick up a bag or two of meow mix for not much more than a couple boxes of cereal... :think:
cuginosgrizzo wrote:
cranky wrote:My wife bought $100 in cat food from Amazon last week which seems like a lot...
No it doesn't seem like a lot, trust me. It's a lot less than what I buy each week :wtf:
Wow! You spend more than $100 a week?
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

cranky wrote: Wow! You spend more than $100 a week?
unfortunately I do, lots more. But, you know, I have a fixed resident population of 11 maine coons cats, plus a variable number of kittens, and a variable numbers of stray cats in my backyard. True, I do have some returns from the kittens sale, but those never cover all the expenses
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:
cranky wrote: Wow! You spend more than $100 a week?
unfortunately I do, lots more. But, you know, I have a fixed resident population of 11 maine coons cats, plus a variable number of kittens, and a variable numbers of stray cats in my backyard. True, I do have some returns from the kittens sale, but those never cover all the expenses
I forget who the cat people are. I thought you were the one who has the Main Coons. My Siberian eats a lot, I can imagine how much Main Coons eat.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

So for those wondering here are the ingredients of Meow Mix
wrote:Ingredients

Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Animal Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Turkey By-Product Meal, Salmon Meal, Ocean Fish Meal, Phosphoric Acid, Choline Chloride, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide (Color), Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement], Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate (Source of Iron), Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Taurine, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2, Rosemary Extract.
Guaranteed Analyses
Crude Protein 31.0% min.
Crude Fat 11.0% min.
Crude Fiber 4.0% max.
Moisture 12.0% max.
Calcium 1.0% min.
Phosphorus 0.8% min.
Selenium 0.125 mg/kg
Vitamin E 50 IU/kg
:problem: So it's mostly corn but I don't ferment corn unless it's organic. The other thing is 11% fat, which is really high. Then there is the "Animal Digest" :wtf: What the hell is that? My guess is it's Poo. I draw the line at fermenting poo :evil: So while I'm not saying I can't do it, I don't think I am going to try.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

People make coffee from poo. So why not beverage?
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got these 3 old stainless steel 5 gallon milkers for $30 each.
image.jpeg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote:Just got these 3 old stainless steel 5 gallon milkers for $30 each.
Those are cool :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2017-03-15 04.19.42.jpg
2017-03-15 04.19.42.jpg (13.76 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
It's called a hellfire burner by Blichmann.
It claims to boil 15 gal of water in less than 20 minutes, so I got it and it took 22 minutes! I think I should complain to someone.

In its defense, it was windy and 38°f outside.
This thing is nice, the heat distribution is even, it's wide and I'm a happy poppa now of this burner from hell :twisted: