Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Red Rim
Trainee

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Red Rim »

More pics and descriptions, later. My wife is busy cleaning and organizing her new find.

Tonight I might load stainless tables and there was a huge salad bar, covered in copper plate. I wonder what I should use that for? :wink:

Yes, those were calibrating weights and the scales that go with them.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Can you guys help me figure out what these jugs were used for? I haven't ever seen a jug made to lay on its side.
Attachments
14111746215460.jpg
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

musta been made by the lazy bottle company :lol:
seriously, i'm jealous i've collected antique balance scales for years. :mrgreen:
be water my friend
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Red Rim wrote:Can you guys help me figure out what these jugs were used for? I haven't ever seen a jug made to lay on its side.
They are antique foot warmers, used in bed or sometimes in wagons or early cars.
http://www.kovels.com/price-guide/foot-warmers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm jealous too, good score Red Rim.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:ya, a little trickier as you need the right top, and filling them is a touch tricky, as inside the flange bits share in/out and gas in one clever contraption. Cleaning them too. Corny kegs you can remove the topand reach in to scrub. With those everything is through the 2" flange
Thanks for the info Jimbo, I have some ideas about how to make this keg do what I want, I think I may try it with some cider made from store bought juice before I use my hard earned hand pressed stuff. Even if I cant use it for bottling I still have a bunch of other potential uses for this little keg.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Thanks cranky! Mystery solved! Here is another one for you, what is this?
Attachments
14111770228060.jpg
And check out this goody, hat stretcher/ maker.
And check out this goody, hat stretcher/ maker.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Red rim I think I use to like you. Good score.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

the first one was easy since you had the obvious hint in the photo, but what does that second thing stamp? button snaps or wax embosser for letters or what :think:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Red Rim wrote:Thanks cranky! Mystery solved! Here is another one for you, what is this?
I'm pretty sure that top one is a hat stretcher
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/414471971928873474/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
not sure about the second, maybe a seal crimper or snap/ rivet setter
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Now that just looks medieval!
14111770228060.jpg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Red Rim wrote:Thanks cranky! Mystery solved! Here is another one for you, what is this?
yep 2nd one is an embossing press
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Cast-Iron-S ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I have to say, I looked it up and similar hat stretchers have sold on ebay for $260 and $285 so really nice score on that.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

As much as I love antiques, today's load was distillery related. A ten foot stainless table, three ten foot stainless shelves, two rolling shelf racks, a few small slabs of copper plate, a refrigerated ice box, a few heated stainless troughs(hot food items in a salad bar, should be great for heating and holding mash at a set temperature.). And two twenty foot sections of two inch brass foot rail(under bar foot rest).

If I didn't enjoy it so much, it would almost equal work. Hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Thanks again Cranky for your research. If you are ever headed down this way, I would be more than happy to give you a tour through our newly acquired " antique gallery". It seems ubsurd for me to own some of these things, when I don't even know what they are. Like throwing pearls before swine, sorry to quote scripture, but when the shoe fits.....
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

managed to win an auction on 4 glass jars which hold 4.5 litres with open tops which would let you put fruit in there, the lady GAVE me two more, plus two "gin" traps( Possum traps) which are real old and i'm gonna hang on the wall of my shed, plus a humane possum trap which I will pass onto a friend...NICE.
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Red Rim wrote:As much as I love antiques, today's load was distillery related. A ten foot stainless table, three ten foot stainless shelves, two rolling shelf racks, a few small slabs of copper plate, a refrigerated ice box, a few heated stainless troughs(hot food items in a salad bar, should be great for heating and holding mash at a set temperature.). And two twenty foot sections of two inch brass foot rail(under bar foot rest).

If I didn't enjoy it so much, it would almost equal work. Hopefully it will pay off in the long run.
It just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it? :thumbup:
Thanks again Cranky for your research. If you are ever headed down this way, I would be more than happy to give you a tour through our newly acquired " antique gallery". It seems ubsurd for me to own some of these things, when I don't even know what they are. Like throwing pearls before swine, sorry to quote scripture, but when the shoe fits.....
Your welcome, I'm always happy to help and know quite a bit about antiques, what I don;t know my wife probably does. We spent 10 years as antique pickers (real ones, not like those guys on "American Pickers") before the economy went bad and forced me to get a real job, We still dabble a bit to make a little extra money and keep current on things, it also pays for hobbies :D . hopefully someday I will be able to make it down your way and have a look and visit a bit. If you have anything you have questions about and don't want to post feel free to PM me.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Apples for $6 a bushel. Gonna go get apple cider ($4 a gallon)next weekend for ginger brandy
big help
Dunder
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

jedneck wrote:Apples for $6 a bushel. Gonna go get apple cider ($4 a gallon)next weekend for ginger brandy
Damn! That's a great price! That would have saved me a ton of work this year. I stopped by my local brew shop yesterday and they are taking preorders for 4.25-4.5 gallons for $40. Even $10 a gallon doesn't sound bad when you figure how many apples go into a gallon but $4 is incredibly cheap. I'd have to buy a ton of it.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

2nd pic looks like a gromet crimper. More detail pic needed about ends of the punch.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

cranky wrote:
jedneck wrote:Apples for $6 a bushel. Gonna go get apple cider ($4 a gallon)next weekend for ginger brandy
Damn! That's a great price! That would have saved me a ton of work this year. I stopped by my local brew shop yesterday and they are taking preorders for 4.25-4.5 gallons for $40. Even $10 a gallon doesn't sound bad when you figure how many apples go into a gallon but $4 is incredibly cheap. I'd have to buy a ton of it.
Planning on getting 15 gallons so I have enuf for a full charge.
big help
Dunder
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

jedneck wrote:
cranky wrote:
Planning on getting 15 gallons so I have enuf for a full charge.
Good thinking, I know I would :thumbup:
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I had 2-5lb CO2 tanks and traded 1 of them for a 20 lb tank.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

We finished a high end restaurant one year ago. Due to lack of forsight and mismanagement they already went under. The contractor renovating this place(dumbing it down to a burger joint) gave me the 20 pound co2 bottle. Said they are replacing it with a really big one and this one is just in the way.

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while....
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Got a craftsman vaccuum and wood chipper with the engine bad for an apple eater. Hopefully that part is good. Pretty nasty. Hopefully I can make it work with an electric motor. Oh yea price....... FREEEEE
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

halfbaked wrote:Got a craftsman vaccuum and wood chipper with the engine bad for an apple eater. Hopefully that part is good. Pretty nasty. Hopefully I can make it work with an electric motor. Oh yea price....... FREEEEE
I'm starting to think about parts for an apple grinder myself and free is my second favorite price. So good find. :thumbup:
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Yea I should have asked for them to pay me to take it away and I like that price better but I am tickled to have option of makin it work.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Really you cant beat free for something like that when you can put it to good use. No need to try to get greedy and piss someone off.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

hahahahahaha I thought that is what you were saying. Free was second favorite price.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

halfbaked wrote:hahahahahaha I thought that is what you were saying. Free was second favorite price.
Thats exactly what I was saying Free is good but paid to take it is my favorite. :lol:
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

I picked up a pair of Toyota axles(f&r), with Detroit lockers(both axles), for $300. My financially illiterate bro-in-law, who has got himself into trouble, was looking for some quick cash, and I made him an offer. I can't wait to get these under my Samurai, with a 4-link suspension set-up. He had a rock crawler he was building, $9k invested, and ended up selling it for $4k. These were the axles he was originally going to use.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.