Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by jedneck »

Tal wrote::D Got this from the neighbour today as he has put a new one in, had to strip it down to this stage but only took a few minutes...holds 35 gallons or 157.5 litres. Not sure which direction i'll go with it but have a nice copper reflux condenser in my shed which might fit?
DSCF3738.jpg
DSCF3740.jpg
...any thoughts??
Hide them legs. Cut it down to a 20 gallon boiler and make a 15 gallon thumper with the rest is what I would do. Good score.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

cant do much about the old pins jedneck lol,...but have scored another copper water heater for a bottle of rum!....thinking a couple of potstills now so more copper sheet needed.!..havn't got a plan yet but could make some 20gallon jobs...
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

halfbaked wrote:Bought 3 -15.5 kegs for a beer dist that were full of beer for $25 ea. The beer is ales. I smell a beer brewing stand coming. :D
Sweet find :thumbup:. I seem to always just miss the good keg deals like that by just a few minutes.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I bought a 1/4 barrel 8 gal keg for 10$. Pretty good deal I thought.
Attachments
image.jpg
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

That's a pretty good deal! I scored some kegs myself. I'll pick them up this weekend. 5 1/6 barrel kegs for a benjy. That takes care of me keg needs.... :D
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I saw it hiding in waist hi weeds in a fence row driving by at 45mph. They were gonna shoot it up or something, the audacity of some folks. I saved it now I can use it as a thump or a smaller boiler. I may just build a 1-1/2" column for it all pretty like, the keg is dent free and pristine.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I may have posted this already but it's worth a repeat. IF you like Vlasic Kosher Dill pickles, they sell a large jar (2qt + 1pint), for about $4.00 They're good sturdy containers and the pickle's are great.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

sltm1 wrote:I may have posted this already but it's worth a repeat. IF you like Vlasic Kosher Dill pickles, they sell a large jar (2qt + 1pint), for about $4.00 They're good sturdy containers and the pickle's are great.
They are my favorite containers. It is like buying a jar and getting the pickles for free.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Got about 2m of 25mm copper tube for free. My dad got a new wet back fire installed. Plumber saw my still stuff and thought I might like some more copper.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Red Rim, I always think I'm buying the pickles and getting the jar for free LOL
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I bought 4 gallons of Whitehouse apple cider from the clearance rack at Walmart for $2.50/gallon about a week ago. Picked up another 4 gallons of generic apple juice today for $2.68/gallon. I have another 4.5 gallons in the fermenter that I picked up from various sources for about $5.00 total cost - it'll be ready for the still in a few days. All in all I should have enough for 3 runs in my 5 gallon pot still. Must be the time of year to clear out old stocks of apple juice in anticipation of the new harvest season. Get it while you can boys!
gio
Novice

Post by gio »

losthog wrote:I found this really great site with lots of info on a subject I am interested in learning more about...Its free.
Ha! :lolno: I know just what you mean, amigo! It's right here and I too am getting all this good information for free. :thumbup: :clap: :)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not sure if they rang it up wrong but my wife wanted to buy a case of generic gin from Costco for dirty martini's. When checking out with all our supplies he was not able to scan the box so he removed one bottle scanned it then typed in some numbers I thought was the number of bottles. When I got home I went over the receipt and saw that for 6 bottles I was charged $32.00. Not sure what the price should be but under $6.00 a bottle seems low?
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am not a gin drinker but for $6 I could be. Great deal.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Just bought a kegerator that has dual guages and 5 lb co2 tank and spare parts. It has a stainless door and bumper sticker that covered name. Has everything needed except beer and keg. $60
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yesterday I stopped by the apple tree that was ready and did some picking. When I was ready to go I took a little walk down to another apple tree to see how far along it was. I stood there trying to figure out how to reach it through the deep ditch and high blackberries when I noticed down in the ditch was a keg. The ditch is full of blackberry brambles but the keg left an open path where it had rolled down. So I stood there thinking "Who the hell throws a perfectly good keg in a ditch?" then I thought "Who cares, I got a free keg!" :D
So I made my way down into the ditch and grabbed it and to my surprise found it to be extremely heavy. :wtf: So I thought "Who the hell throws a full keg in a ditch?" :shock: and after thinking about it for a minute figured I would just roll it the 5 feet up the steep bank, load it in my car and drain it when I got home. But it turned out to be so heavy I couldn't even roll it up the bank. The little bit I did move it made it rattle. I thought "kegs shouldn't rattle?" :wtf: then I thought "wouldn't it be cool if it turned out to be completely full of change!!!" :esurprised:
So after a bit of thinking on the matter I realized there was a bunch of duct tape around the middle and figured out that they must have used the bunghole to fill it with the change. So I cut the tape around the hole and to my great disappointment discovered the keg was completely filled with pea gravel. :cry:
Why the hell would somebody do that? And why the hell would they not empty it before taking the effort to haul it here and throw it in the ditch? :eh: It did give me a fairly easy solution to getting it out of the ditch, I just needed to empty some of the gravel out. Which is what I did. When it was less heavy enough to roll up out of the ditch I got it to the top and poured some more out, then rolled it over to my car (actually a small SUV) where I emptied out enough to lift it into the back and headed out.
My next stop was at the grocery store where as I was walking in I realized my arms were covered in blood from all the scratches :esurprised: which I quickly cleaned up with those free sanitizing wipes. I got what I needed and headed home with a free keg and a 5 gallon bucket of apples.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the new keg, it is pretty beat up but I'm thinking maybe an electric keggle but not sure. I'm pretty happy with the price for sure.
KEG 1.JPG
KEG2.JPG
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I bet someone was using that to work out. Rolling it or maybe even picking it up and throwing it.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Brutal wrote:I bet someone was using that to work out. Rolling it or maybe even picking it up and throwing it.
Until one of his nads shot up into his abdomen and he said f this and pushed it in the ditch as he hobbled home and grabbed the bottle of crown?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:
Brutal wrote:I bet someone was using that to work out. Rolling it or maybe even picking it up and throwing it.
Until one of his nads shot up into his abdomen and he said f this and pushed it in the ditch as he hobbled home and grabbed the bottle of crown?
I know it almost killed me trying to get it out of there before I realized there was a hole in the side. Still cant understand why you would roll it down into the ditch.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Twenty blackberry plants for a little bit of blood and sweat. Had to dig them out of a patch of green brier.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Week before last I had to deliver some stainless steel coils. Thought nothing of what kind of place I was delivering to. When I got there I realized it was a stainless pipe manufacturer. I was dying to dig through their scrap bin. So I figured what the hell, I'll ask, all they can do is say yes or no. When I asked the guy wanted to know what for. (Before I finish this I want it to be known I despise lying or being lied to) I told him an air tank. He told me to have at it. So long story short I got a 6" (or 8", I haven't measured it yet) by 5 foot piece of 304 stainless 1/8" wall pipe for free. Definitely heavier then what I wanted.

I've already lined up a TIG box for when I'm ready. Now for the brainstorming, my favorite part because it's free as well.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

jedneck wrote:Twenty blackberry plants for a little bit of blood and sweat. Had to dig them out of a patch of green brier.
if you like to dig out blackberry plants, I can point you to about a thousand people who'll give them to you free! It's about the most invasive plant around these parts.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
jedneck wrote:Twenty blackberry plants for a little bit of blood and sweat. Had to dig them out of a patch of green brier.
if you like to dig out blackberry plants, I can point you to about a thousand people who'll give them to you free! It's about the most invasive plant around these parts.
You aren't a kidding! A person could just about get punched in the mouth for talking about planting blackberry's.
The worse you treat them the better they grow. For about one week out of the year, I don't hate them. The rest of the time I am fighting a losing battle to irradicate them.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

we got them here in nz too, wild...but we still planted a thornless model which fruits very well, sweet too!
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Tal wrote:we got them here in nz too, wild...but we still planted a thornless model which fruits very well, sweet too!
Thornless would be nice and like everybody else in the PNW said they cover up everything. They are proving to be a real problem around the apple trees I'm trying to get to, that's for sure. In Oklahoma they just grew in clusters so controlling them wasn't an issue but here they can completely cover a field in a few years. I read something from ( I think ) the university of Iowa that said they can grow at a rate of several feet per day and the season is so long here they do. :shock:
Sackett
Novice

Post by Sackett »

Got a 5 gal jug at fle for $20 last weekend.never enough storage , lol
Even One Sackett Is Quite A Few
World Champion Wildcat Sorter 1997,1998,2005,2006,2007
Remember the three 2s of stillin,,,,Too much can go Too wrong Too quick
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Picked up a 5 gal carboy for $10.00 last week. Nice and clean.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Found a carboy in the garage of a place we're renovating including the original wooden surround. Owner gave it to me gratis. :)

tp
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just found some 4.2 liter big jars with big openings and lids in Hungary. Ideal for aging. I don't even have to cut my JD blocks to smaller sizes! Around 3 dollar per jar, lid included.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Got 2 pony kegs (7.75) gal kegs from a buddy at a scrapyard for free. Bet they will be great for ageing SF and UJ