Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by moosemilk »

Oldvine Zin wrote:People usually leave crap - old couches, desks, and a lot of other crap in my parking lot, today I found about a 50' spool of 3/4" soft copper tubing sitting against the fence- thought about leaving a small bottle in case the copper god returned :)

OVZ
Now THAT is a nice score!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I finally got around to cutting off the base of that fermenter I got a while back and welded up a steel base for it.
I still need to attach some wheels but it's very stable now.
Before:
image.jpeg
After:
image.jpeg
So I take the stainless scrap back to my scrap guy and he had all this stuff there:
image.jpeg
2 80 gallon stainless tanks, about 50' of 3/4 id soft copper tubing, and a 30" piece of 6" dia copper pipe.
Picked it up for scrap prices.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks great MC, makes me want to head down to the scrap yard today!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote:Looks great MC, makes me want to head down to the scrap yard today!
Me too!

I have some old aluminum wheels I've been keeping around just as an excuse to go to a scrap yard.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Man, I wish any of the scrap yards around here would sell to the public. That’s a ridiculous haul.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I found a rye guy.
He has just harvested his fields and I was able to buy the grain literally right out of the back of his truck.
I filled all the buckets, pots, and containers I had with me.
I got about 150# and he only charged me $20 because it hasn't been "cleaned" yet, which just means that it has some straw and sticks and other field debris mixed in with it.
I'm going to try to malt it anyway, so hopefully most of that debris will float and can be poured off when I soak the grains.

He'll be cleaning the rest of the truckload in the next few weeks and I might head back up that way to get some 90# sacks when he's ready. I think he said $10/bushel once its bagged.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I found a rye guy.
He has just harvested his fields and I was able to buy the grain literally right out of the back of his truck.
I filled all the buckets, pots, and containers I had with me.
I got about 150# and he only charged me $20 because it hasn't been "cleaned" yet, which just means that it has some straw and sticks and other field debris mixed in with it.
I'm going to try to malt it anyway, so hopefully most of that debris will float and can be poured off when I soak the grains.

He'll be cleaning the rest of the truckload in the next few weeks and I might head back up that way to get some 90# sacks when he's ready. I think he said $10/bushel once its bagged.
Good for you! :thumbup:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thought I would let everybody know that every August Ace Hardware puts Mason Jars on sale. My Ace has Pint Jars for $7.99 a dozen and Quarts for $9.99 a dozen. I think that's a little more than last year but still under $1 a jar for brand new jars :D
stillcolo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillcolo »

Picked up this 1/2 barrel at Wally-Mart for $25. :D
Gonna chop it up!
Gonna chop it up!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I bought a Whisky Advent Calendar for £75 from an online thrift store. That's 50% off the RRP of £150, so I was happy. You get 24 x 1oz samples of different whiskies to try in the run up to Christmas and I thought that was an ok deal at £3 per sample...

When it arrived, it turns out to be an "Old and rare" Whisky Advent Calendar. Some of the whisky in it is older than I am :-) and the RRP is £1000!

Sadly, I need the cash, so off to auction it goes.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I traded an old broke down Murray mower, that ain't run in 4 years to a.....
STAINLESS STEEL 55 gallon barrel.
Any ideas what I could do with it?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Nice trade there shiner! Closed or open head? If its open head you could ride it over a water fall :)
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:I traded an old broke down Murray mower, that ain't run in 4 years to a.....
STAINLESS STEEL 55 gallon barrel.
Any ideas what I could do with it?
Nice score.
you can use it as a mashtun, fermenter and thumper all in one , redwood hillbilly got such a setup and it seems ideal to me
Don't be a dick
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Mikey-moo wrote: When it arrived, it turns out to be an "Old and rare" Whisky Advent Calendar. Some of the whisky in it is older than I am :-) and the RRP is £1000!

Shame on you :) you may never get a chance to try those whiskies again = and really you are only out 75, and you would probably appreciate that drink more than someone willing to shell out a 1000

OVZ
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Yeah, thats a helluva a score though, and I don't really know what a £ is but I bet a 1000 of 'em would buy a lot of malt and barrels! I know I'd rather have $1,000 worth of stillin gear and ingredients than $1,000 worth of scotch.

Now if you're just gonna pay rent on a flat or something boring... bah! You were already broke, might as well drink the whisky!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Mikey-moo wrote: When it arrived, it turns out to be an "Old and rare" Whisky Advent Calendar. Some of the whisky in it is older than I am :-) and the RRP is £1000!

Shame on you :) you may never get a chance to try those whiskies again = and really you are only out 75, and you would probably appreciate that drink more than someone willing to shell out a 1000

OVZ
The thought did cross my mind, several times... but in some cases ignorance is bliss. I'm more of a cognac man anyway.

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

zapata wrote:Yeah, thats a helluva a score though, and I don't really know what a £ is but I bet a 1000 of 'em would buy a lot of malt and barrels! I know I'd rather have $1,000 worth of stillin gear and ingredients than $1,000 worth of scotch.

Now if you're just gonna pay rent on a flat or something boring... bah! You were already broke, might as well drink the whisky!
Some will go to my Mom's cancer charity. Some might buy me a 1 gallon barrel. The rest will help to pay off some debt. I'm happy :-)

Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

What a peculiar idea: an advent calender of whisky samples. A very spirited way to prepare for a very spiritual day!
Did you sell it already?
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Kareltje wrote:What a peculiar idea: an advent calender of whisky samples. A very spirited way to prepare for a very spiritual day!
Did you sell it already?
It's not yet sold, but I have sent it off to the Auction House for their next auction - in October.

rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

scored 2 6gallon glass carboys, a 6 gallon bucket, and a hydrometer at a tagsale for 20 bucks
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

For those of you here in the PNW I just saw this on CL, I'm going in for a stick of 2,3 and4 at that price :D

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mat/ ... 92950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OVZ
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oldvine Zin wrote:For those of you here in the PNW I just saw this on CL, I'm going in for a stick of 2,3 and4 at that price :D

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mat/ ... 92950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OVZ
IP address has been blocked at least from my wifi address here in Gdansk, Poland.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

best you don't see bushy
be water my friend
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

This spring I got this set up..........for free :D

free wine bottles on CL.......brought home 35 cases......she still had about 50 cases when I left. some were NEVER used, some needed to be cleaned.

Got 2-5 gallon & 1-6 gal glass carboys, a 7.5gal fermenter, assorted wine/beer making equipment from CL for $45us.
Attachments
CAM00729 mod.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:This spring I got this set up..........for free :D
Duuude. That is a real set up, a beautiful flute. I hope you at least gave her some good head for that set up.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

That looks like OD’s second iteration of the flute, where you could disable plates on the fly.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

raketemensch wrote:That looks like OD’s second iteration of the flute, where you could disable plates on the fly.
The handles on the side made me think this too. But if I remember correctly his construction was different.

Great joy this must be, ShineonCrazyDiamond!!! :clap:
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

its still an awesome deal. great look to it to. bet it purrs right along to.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

This was made by a man in Connecticut. He quit drinking about 3 or 4 months after he fished the flute. He sold it to a man here in Indiana.
The man here used it for about a year then it went into the attic of his garage. It sat there for about 5 or 6 years.
I ran into him on another forum and he offered it to me. He said he would rather see it get used than collect dust.
All he wants is some of the finished product. Which I have obliged a couple of times.

I am still learning how to "drive" it. have the process figured out on UJSSM :clap: , but I am struggling with the tomato paste wash :? . I guess it FOAMS more. :oops:
Yes it does just purr along. 12 gallon charge from room temp(about 70f) to finished run is 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
Consistently get 93% from UJSSM running just under 3/4 gallon per hour.
The handles on the side are for adjusting/eliminating plates on the fly. Or just leave them open and it is more like a pot still. When they are opened they will drain down to the next lower plate.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice score Hoosier :thumbup: flutes take a little fiddling to find their sweet spot, I'm sure that she will serve you well :D

OVZ