fishing trip

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

fishing trip

Post by Bushman »

Just got back from a fishing trip and I know some of our members are into fishing so I thought I would post several pictures. On the dock in baggies are cod and halibut cut up and ready to divide between me and my fishing partner, about 250-300 lbs of fish.
fishing2.jpg
Attachments
fishing1.jpg
rubber duck
retired

Re: fishing trip

Post by rubber duck »

That's a nice looking Chinook, 35lb or so. How long did it take to yard that one in? :thumbup:
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good guess RD 42lbs, all but one of the salmon are 35+ pounds. We usually play them pretty hard so they take anywhere from 45 min to 1-1/2 hours to land. Two people fish 4 poles, legal in Canada, and it is like a chinese fire drill trying to get the other three poles in and run the boat so the fish doesn't spool us. We use 12 oz in the bow and 8 oz in the stern with between 18 and 25 pulls on the line. Plug herring for bait with no downriggers or flashers. It makes for a great fight!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Liked you once.
Now I hate you.

Good for you. Nice haul. How much ya smokin?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS, I was thinking about you when I posted the pics. I am heading back up in about 3 weeks as my freezer holds over 400 lbs. We also are allowed 200 shrimp a day and 400 in our possession and we limited on shrimp which really makes my wife happy.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote:LWTCS, I was thinking about you when I posted the pics.
:D ,,,Preciate your thoughts and sure do wish I were there so you could teach me about your neck of the woods...

Kind regards
Larry
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Your hitting chinook at 18 poles, must be nice. I've always had to get down a lot lower then that to get into chinook. It's funny how they like to hang out at different depths depending on what part of the coast your on.

Now I see why there are no fish coming down my way when the season is on. 4 rods you guys get them all before I get a chance. :mrgreen:
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Sweet. !!! I miss trips like that. Congratulations. I was hacked that I didn’t get to fish for halibut off Port Townsend before they closed the season. Just couldn’t make it up.

When I had smaller boats I used to fish Nea Bay out on Swifture bank for Halibut. We would get a Canadian license and be able to double our limit.

Did you fish the outside of Vancouver Island?
How long does the Canadian season stay open for Butt? Salmon fishing has been pretty bleak in the San Juans the last couple of years when I am up in August.

Maybe I can plan a trip to the Canada side when I am up in August.
MR
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Rubber Duck, most of the fishing in Puget Sound and off the coast of Vancouver Island are done with downriggers. I go further north to find the trophy fish, usually Rivers Inlet, Bella Bella, or Hakai pass in BC. It's across from Queen Charlotte Sound if you want to google it. Beautiful country up north.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I had a friend that would spend a month in Rivers inlet every year. I fished with him a few times there. Very much like fishing Puget Sound. Downriggers down deep. Real slow troll and lots of patients. But when you do get a fish on there they are big!

I caught the fish of my life there. 58 lb King. He was pissed. He had been fishing there for almost twenty years and only been in the high forties.

Actually ran my 25 foot boat across from Port Hardy one year to Rivers inlet. The crossing was a bitch. Lots of open water. Ended up turning around and going back the next day as my running partner tried to sink his boat.

I have down riggers on my boat now and all my Halibut gear on board as well. Not practical to run very far in a big boat so I fish when the opportunity arises.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

mash rookie wrote:I had a friend that would spend a month in Rivers inlet every year. I fished with him a few times there. Very much like fishing Puget Sound. Downriggers down deep. Real slow troll and lots of patients. But when you do get a fish on there they are big!

I caught the fish of my life there. 58 lb King. He was pissed. He had been fishing there for almost twenty years and only been in the high forties.

Actually ran my 25 foot boat across from Port Hardy one year to Rivers inlet. The crossing was a bitch. Lots of open water. Ended up turning around and going back the next day as my running partner tried to sink his boat.

I have down riggers on my boat now and all my Halibut gear on board as well. Not practical to run very far in a big boat so I fish when the opportunity arises.
That can be quite a crossing, I do it every year if the weather is bad we back into God's Pocket and anchor until we get a calm opening. I've also navigated it with so much fog you could not see the bow of the boat. Nice to have all the navigational equipment on board when needed.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Did you fish Barkley sound? I have another buddy that keeps his boat there. I have never fished it but he tells me there is halibut and tons of salmon there. You are inspiring me to spend more time fishing this year.

I have radar on my boat as well as my nav programs and it is still not fun running in fog. You see other boats but not logs!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Going to have to sign off for 7-10 days, leaving tomorrow for my second trip to Rivers Inlet this year. Will be up north where the only communication is satillite phone and the only way in is by boat or seaplane. Hoping to get several hundred pounds of halibut, salmon, and lingcod!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Bushman wrote:Going to have to sign off for 7-10 days, leaving tomorrow for my second trip to Rivers Inlet this year. Will be up north where the only communication is satillite phone and the only way in is by boat or seaplane. Hoping to get several hundred pounds of halibut, salmon, and lingcod!

Damn envious Bushman. Been to rivers inlet a few times. That’s where I caught my once in a life time King.

The big ones are there. I wish you luck.

I am planning my vacation now. Looks like I will be able to wrap up my work and head to the San Juans around the first of August and hang out all month on my boat as guests come and go. I will get a chance to work on the glossary then. I am going to relax, read a few books and do a little fishing and diving. (drink a little shine)

Fishing is not what it used to be in the San Juans but I hope to spend some time with the poles out and down riggers deep.

Troll deep and slow with large whole herring and may the fish gods be with you.

Debriefing will be required upon your return.
MR
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks, I just got back from a weekend in Port Ludlow at a golf tournament and get away with our yacht club, will also be spending some time in the San Juans in August before I head to Europe! Enjoy your time off :D
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I will be taking my laptop with me so hit me up when your in the Juans. Maybe we can get together for a drink.

Now Damn it, Go catch a big F....ING Chinook!! GOOD LUCK!!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got back from my fishing trip and it was successful, however the fish were all over by Calvert Island so the trophy salmon were not around. We ended up with 11 Chinook from 24-37 lbs., 7 Silvers 12-14 lbs, 6 lingcod, a 20lb halibut, and various rockfish. Along with the fish one pull we had over 28 crab in the pot all around 6-1/2 to 7" (could only keep 18 as that is a 3 person limit), and ended up with about 400 huge shrimp. The trip ended up only being a week instead of the 10 days so my wife was happy. We were only one Chinook short of a 3 person limit. It's nice to be back especially since my fishing partner and his brother drank all my whiskey I took on the trip and our last night we had to buy a bottle of Bushmill!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Thanks for the de-brief Bushman. Sounds like your trip was decent. It is always hit or miss on when the big ones are in. They can be early or two weeks late. That sucks considering the effort to fish at Rivers Inlet.

I have fished Calvert Island too. We used to stay at Dawson’s Landing. If the fish were not in yet up at the head we would go the other way out to Calvert. We would troll in the morning then break out the Halibut gear and drink beer in the afternoon.

How was the crossing? Its good you are back safe. A lot of big water and hazards there.
MR
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

mash rookie wrote:Thanks for the de-brief Bushman. Sounds like your trip was decent. It is always hit or miss on when the big ones are in. They can be early or two weeks late. That sucks considering the effort to fish at Rivers Inlet.

I have fished Calvert Island too. We used to stay at Dawson’s Landing. If the fish were not in yet up at the head we would go the other way out to Calvert. We would troll in the morning then break out the Halibut gear and drink beer in the afternoon.

How was the crossing? Its good you are back safe. A lot of big water and hazards there.
MR
Wow, you and I run similar paths, I always stay at Dawson's Landing (Rob and Nola are the best). If the big fish are in we fish stoney point, drainey, and Wadams (probably mispelling). We very seldom fish the Wall but sometimes go to Calvert for Halibut and Ling Cod. I hope we can connect in the San Juan's when are you planning your trip?
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Funny. It’s a small world isn’t it? Rob will remember me. Tell him that I am the friend of Bruce’s that was there the year that Bruce sank his boat. (not on it)

Bruce always set up camp on the Indian net dock across the bay from Rob’s.

I am planning on going up on August 1st and staying all month. Because I have so many people coming and going, I have to stay pretty close to San Juan Island with little time at Lopez and Orcas. Most of my time will be at or near Roche.

I have friends that live on Wescott bay and I like to fish outside of Henry Island when the killer Whales and their entourage don’t push me off my spot’s.

Mostly it is about relaxing and getting the hell away from my work.

PM me a heads up when you are going to be around and I will buy you a drink.

MR