Wrought copper

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lynx_Gen
Novice

Wrought copper

Post by Lynx_Gen »

hey there, didnt know quite rightly where to post this.. anyways, here it is.

For some reason it runs in my mind that i read something someplace that indcated its not good or ok to use "wrought" copper in the still construction.

doing a search turned up nothing for "Wrought copper"

(9 results, to do with wrought iron and some brandy.. lol)

anyways, wanted to ask if it is or isnt ok to use wrought copper in still construction.

I found places up here in canada, (Bartle n Gibson contractor suplies) that has plenty of copper fittings and flanges and goodies! (Its where i got my 2" pipe when i was in the city last time)

anyways, if wrought is okay to use, then it opens up a load of options and goodies.

Thanks in advance!

(May have to make another trip to the city tommorrow to get the rest of the parts and pieces to have my still built this weekend! :D)

~L~

Edit:
Also while im at it, do you guys think one of these pumps will work out okay for a recirculating setup to the condenser? (will be 1/4" tubing of course)

250 gal per hour
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... 9?Ntt=pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

400 gal per hour:
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... 0?Ntt=pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

or one of these - they look to be battery operated.. they're cheap enouh i may just pick one up and toss it in a container of water and see how long it lasts..

500 gph

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... pump&Num=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

12800GPH

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... pump&Num=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

they're all pretty cheap too.. cheap enough to make me worry as well tho..

:D
To quote RumBrewer from a thread i read:

"Read #8
It should say... All plastic or synthetic material is considered to be unsafe unless NASA and GOD prove otherwise!"
hackware
Swill Maker

Re: Wrought copper

Post by hackware »

wrought/rôt/
Adjective: (of metals) Beaten out or shaped by hammering.

starting with "clean" copper, don't know how beating on it would be a concern...

lotz of pot stills are still build exactly this way...

far as the pumps go, depends on combination of your equipment...

heat input, still type, condenser type and size, etc...
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Wrought copper is copper is copper. Most of what we used would be considered wrought copper. Refers to cold stamped or shaped from raw material. (least refined)

The only thing ever different in copper is oxygen content. Annealed , not annealed, hard drawn, welded, seamless. All just terms of how it was formed and its behavior for working.

As soon as anything is added to copper, it is no longer copper. It is bronze or brass. These two designations can contain a variety of materials added to copper. some safe, some not. Buyer beware.

MR
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

mash rookie wrote: As soon as anything is added to copper, it is no longer copper. It is bronze or brass. These two designations can contain a variety of materials added to copper. some safe, some not. Buyer beware.

MR
Not quite true. Some grades of copper have tiny additions of alloys.
-Dan
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Dan P. wrote:
mash rookie wrote: As soon as anything is added to copper, it is no longer copper. It is bronze or brass. These two designations can contain a variety of materials added to copper. some safe, some not. Buyer beware.

MR
Not quite true. Some grades of copper have tiny additions of alloys.
-Dan

There is only one exception to my statement that I am aware of. De-OX copper is 99.90% pure. it uses .02 % Phosphor to remove the oxygen durring processing to make it softer and easier to weld and solder. This is what we all use. All soft tubing is De- Ox. It is safe.
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

whatever pump you buy get a "big" head height to keep life simple

those pond pumps are "low" head height and the bilge pumps are 12v (boat / car battery)

you want good volumes of water at say a head of 3 meters
as a pump with a head of 6m may might only pump half it's capacity at 3m (full capacity at 0 head H)
Lynx_Gen
Novice

Post by Lynx_Gen »

K, kewl..

Im off right bnow to get Hopefully the rest of what I need.. :D

Also I found on the local "Sell your old used junk site" a carboy, airlocks, and other misc "Wine Making" equipment, so went n bought it up..

then i showed the big ole glass jug to the ole lady, who works part time at a 2nd hand store helping dissabled ppl that run it, and she said they get those in thier all the time and sell em for like 10$

I was like WHAT!! well grab me a bunch!!

lol

anyways, im off to do some shopping!!

homehardware is great!! lol
To quote RumBrewer from a thread i read:

"Read #8
It should say... All plastic or synthetic material is considered to be unsafe unless NASA and GOD prove otherwise!"