Gout

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ulyssessundance
Novice

Gout

Post by ulyssessundance »

How do you deal with your gout?

I use Ibuprofen and Colchecine. If I can get my hands on Indocid, that works pretty good too, in the short term.

If an attack it imminent, I start heating the affected joints with my heating pad. It gives relief for me almost right away.
A man's gotta know his limitations.
blind drunk
retired

Re: Gout

Post by blind drunk »

My father in awe had gout symptoms for years and couldn't figure out what caused them. Fit as a fiddle and eats pretty good too, but he couldn't crack the gout thing. Turned out it was the hard apple cider that he drank volumes of. Stopped drinking the apple cider, gout went away. Now drinks more beer and is fine. Good luck with yours.
I do all my own stunts
ulyssessundance
Novice

funny that... I guess it's different for everyone! I have times when I can go through beer like it's going out of style and sometimes not. Right now, I can have a couple of beers without any problems. Same with hootch, right now. Sometimes, It's wine. Did your father in awe treat the gout with anything?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Here there's already a thread called Gout. That has a bunch of info in it. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t#p6896325
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
ulyssessundance
Novice

awesome, thank you. I didn't see that before.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Your welcome. Don't be afraid to use the search function. You would be surprised at what you can find. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I don't have gout but I hear if you stop drinking good beer a stick to whiskey it will be less of a problem.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Did your father in awe treat the gout with anything?
No. Just tried figuring out it the cause. His wife kept telling him that it was probably the cider and it turn out it was. When we got together, he'd drink a couple of liters of the stuff. Who knows, maybe the beer will rekindle the gout, eventually.
I do all my own stunts
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Gout............AW!!!!!!! That is some bad stuff, the first time I got it bad the Doc gave me culchocine and said take one every 4 hours until it goes away or you get the runs. Thankfully those two happened about the same time, that was about 15 years ago. Now days I keep a pill called probinicid with culchocine around and just take 1 or 2 when I feel it comming on and that is about all it takes, never seemed to be linked to any particular food or drink for me. Good luck.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
ulyssessundance
Novice

I can't seem to to put a finger on anything specific either. All I can tell is that it's almost always alcohol related. I could polish off unlimited amounts of beer as a kid and not have any problems. An ounce of whiskey or a couple of classes of wine would do me in. Next day I would have to walk with a cane. Now, it's reversed. But the stuff we make is so much better than store bought.

The trick from me seems to be my uric acid levels. I'm on Colchecine, too. If I feel a tingle of gout coming on, I take two and then one a day till there's no more trouble. Colchecine seems to just take care of the attacks though. I was on Allopurinol and now this other stuff I'm trying called Ulorec. They do a pretty good job of cutting down your uric acid levels altogether. It's just that they take a long time to get working (and they bring on a gout attack when you start them).

If I do get a full-blown attack, I take two colchecine, 2 advil extra strength as often as I'm allowed and put a heating pad on my foot. And keep the cane handy.