Just a Smoker

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

2pups
Novice

Just a Smoker

Post by 2pups »

This is my home made UDS smoker . It has produced some mighty fine Q . Sorry if this post is in wrong place but figured it had to do with smoking , anyways , heres a pic .

Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Re: Just a Smoker

Post by Texas Jim »

I think you violated the first rule of UDS - the "U" is supposed to stand for "Ugly". That's too pretty to be a UDS - never seen one with copper fittings.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Yes, please describe. It makes me laugh, actually.... For my birthday last year my wife consulted some of my "guy" friends for a gift. They recommended a smoker. So she bought a used 55 gallon oil drum, a bag of jack Daniels smoker chips, and a weber grille grate. Apparently my birthday gift was to somehow build myself a smoker with that random collection. :lolno: The thought was good, I've always wanted a smoker and now have the drum.. I'd love to know how you built yours.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

WTFlake is that? I want to know more. Please? :shock:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
itchy
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: the rifle range, treestand or the "man cave" pennsylvania

Post by itchy »

its eye candy..... can you go into more detail and explain its build and how it works? more pictures as well....
death is inevitable ,,, but its also only the beginning..
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Hey guys I will give all details when I get home from work today . Measurments and material list .
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

I'm gonna build the crap out of that drum I have.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

In general, the lack of openings, and tight fitting top, allow you to control the airflow very carefully. This makes it a very efficient cooker - one load of charcoal will last a long time.
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Materials list as follows :

One - 55 gallon Drum , Use new or food grade Do not use one that has had oil , anti-freeze etc.
Three - 3/4 inch ball valves
Two or three- 22.5 inch cooking racks , got mine at home depot
8 or 12 - 1-1/2" eye bolts
Three - 3" steel threaded nipples
One Thermometer , I use a tel-tru Thermometer , also I use a remote themometer thats optional
Stretched steel to make coal basket

First step is to burn all paint off of drum , insidr and out . Just burn some old wood inside of drum for this .
When done clean barrel till it is shinny .
For placement of grates I measured from top of barrel rim down eight inches and drilled four holes evenly spaced around barrel to place eye bolts in , to hold the cooking rack in place , eyes on the inside .
For second rack I measured down from rim 16 inches and did the same as for top rack .
And for third rack measure down 24 inches from top of barrel. I rarely use this rack , good for a water pan if needed , I only used twice in two yrs .

For air intakes I used copper pipes , only because it was free and available .
From bottom of barrel measure up three inches and drill a 3/4 inch hole , now drill two more holes evenly spaced around barrel . Screw the nipples on each ball valve and screw into those three holes and secure with electrical conduit nuts on inside of barrel ,I forget exact name of these .

For the lid if it has a gasket in it remove it , Make sure you get all paint off it inside and out .
I used two inch copper pipe for exhaust at nine inches long , I am going to go to a 4" pipe with baffle on it .

Thats all for now if any questions just ask . I will put a pic of the coal basket up tomorrow .

Jeff
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

For those that want to know how it works . The way I do it is , fill the coal basket 3/4 full or slightly a lil more depending how long you need to cook . On a full basket I can run about 16 plus hrs at 275 to 300 Degrees F . I DO NOT USE LIGHTER FLUID , I use a charcoal chimeny to light my charcoal . I put about half a lit chimney in coal basket , open all air intakes full open . When I reach cooking temp I close two intakes completly and leave one about 3/4ths , open that useually holds steady temp through out the cook . I use the top level cooking grate for most of my cooking , only use second grate if I am cooking for many people . The third grate I usually put a drip pan on it to prevent flare ups in charcoal basket which will bring the cooking temp way up , you want to try and keep a steady temp much as possible . If anyone does try making one it will take a couple trys to get the feel for your temp settings . But before cooking on it , rub the inside of barrel and lid with cooking oil , and put a half load of coal in it to season the barrel , if you all need some more help try going to this smoking site TBBQF texas bbq forums , lots of pics and design help , very friendly people . Hope its ok to put the sites name here if not sorry .

Jeff
Large Sarge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Large Sarge »

That's pretty cool, nice work indeed.
If you look like food, don't be surprised when you get eaten.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Thanks Jeff--that's great. Any chance you could post a pic of the inside and inside of cover? I'm curious of the 3 knobs on the top of the smoker. Is that what secures the cover down?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I would like to see the basket too. How much charcoal are we talking to fill the basket for that 16 hour run? And what do you do about smoke? Charcoal doesn't make much smoke. So how do you feed the wood? How cool can you bring it down and hold? 200 F?

Side note a charcoal burner with this kind of control. Could be a hell of a way to fire a still.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Washashore wrote:Thanks Jeff--that's great. Any chance you could post a pic of the inside and inside of cover? I'm curious of the 3 knobs on the top of the smoker. Is that what secures the cover down?
The three knobs on top are one inch holes I drilled for extra air exhaust if needed . I cut off some bolts and let them sit in there in conduit connectors with a set screw to hold them in .
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Prairiepiss wrote:I would like to see the basket too. How much charcoal are we talking to fill the basket for that 16 hour run? And what do you do about smoke? Charcoal doesn't make much smoke. So how do you feed the wood? How cool can you bring it down and hold? 200 F?

Side note a charcoal burner with this kind of control. Could be a hell of a way to fire a still.
I`ll see if I can find a pic of insde , as for my coal basket its at work getting cleaned up , will try and find a pic of one simular .I buy 20 lb bags of kingsford and use about 15 lbs or so last me approx 12-14 hrs , the temp is controled by the air intakes and exhaust , closing all intakes and exhausts will shut it down , open all wide open send it up to 500 F plus , so you would have to close 2 intakes completly off and have one about 1/4 or more closed to hold about 200 - 215 , I never tried a temp below 215 befor so not sure . Also the minion method of lighting your coal basket is best to do with a UDS , just google that if you dont know what it is . I use chunks of apple wood for smokeing , from home depot , unless my friend brings me some from prunning his trees . These are kinda tricky to cook with seeing how the coal basket sits on bottom and theres more than one level of cooking grates , so I would suggest cutting a door in bottom part of barrel for adding coal and wood chunks , I,m in the process of doing one like this pic below .

Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

Prairiepiss wrote:Could be a hell of a way to fire a still.
Interesting idea. It would be critical that your boiler seals tight to the UDS as the air flow is what controls these.
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Texas Jim wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:Could be a hell of a way to fire a still.
Interesting idea. It would be critical that your boiler seals tight to the UDS as the air flow is what controls these.
I am a welder so that seal would be no problem
Bubba Q
Bootlegger

Post by Bubba Q »

I've built a couple of these now and they work awesome! Anyone interested should check out the Arizona BBQ forum and search UDS.
Bubba Q
Bootlegger

Post by Bubba Q »

Duh! Here is the link http://www.azbarbeque.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
:oops:
BigPa
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigPa »

2pups wrote:This is my home made UDS smoker . It has produced some mighty fine Q . Sorry if this post is in wrong place but figured it had to do with smoking , anyways , heres a pic .

That is a good looking UDS.
Peter_Muir
Bootlegger

Post by Peter_Muir »

I built one about 6 years ago only I used gas as the heat source. A cheap gass BBQ burner with a wrack above filled with volcanic rock for holding my wood chips. I had a heap of apple, plumb and apricot wood from my friends prunings. The copper fittings are a really nice touch; I used a tin can with slits in it to control my smoke/ heat)
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

Nice. I'm on my second uds now. In fact, its my profile pic. I built it with my young daughter, she wanted flowers on it so how could I say no. I have a few smokers and my uds is by far my fave. Half a bag of quality lump charcoal will get me around 12-14 hrs of cook time. Here's a pic of my new one with the sad old one looking on in the background.
Fatties, ABT's, and butts. my mouth is watering but its friggin winter here.

ssw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ssw »

i installed a v burner in my uds doesnt effect taste at all set it an forget it
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Here`s my new homemade smoker I made at work , Just need to make the coal basket for it . Put a 1/2 lit chimney of charcoal in it to check for smoke leaks , none . Will try and get pics to here havin problems doing it right now .
done 6.jpg