Just a polite suggestion.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

forrestgump
Novice

Just a polite suggestion.

Post by forrestgump »

(If I have put this in the wrong place then feel free to move it).

I know I'm new around here. However, just from my observations so far, I have the following suggestion.

It would be really great if everybody was strongly encouraged to fill in their Location in their profile. It doesn't even need to be all that specific. Even just the country would do.

I have noted a number of conversations in the forum that would be just that much easier if the participants knew which country each was from.

Just my twoppence (or two cents) worth.
She's only a whisky maker but I love her still.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Just a polite suggestion.

Post by Prairiepiss »

Good suggestion. But seeing how's the legalitys of the hobby. Many won't do it. And some put to much.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

i think this is because distillation is illegal in most places. so we just leave it blank. If i was fortunate enough to live in New Zealand where it is legal I'd use myself as my avatar. Governments can already track us IP addresses, but why help them at that task?

otherwise agreed, on the point of the topic.

damn, PP, took the words right out of my mouth just before i hit submit
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
forrestgump
Novice

Post by forrestgump »

Prairiepiss wrote:Good suggestion. But seeing how's the legalitys of the hobby. Many won't do it. And some put to much.
Yes, that did occur to me. I s'pose we could all pretend we live in NZ. But then we would need to speak funny and learn the skill of identifying which sheep are the pretty ones.

Seriously though, I doubt that identifying your country is going to create any problems. After all, this is just the cyber world - none of us would do any of this stuff in the REAL world.

(Sheeese .... look at that ... I've done 25 posts already ... best shut up for a while )
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I can see where your coming from FG but I guess it comes down to how comfortable the member feels in displaying his location.
Members are encouraged to keep a low profile if they live in a country where distillation is illegal...

Middle eastern members, and there are a few, face flogging or worst, so I guess they should really fly low due to the consequences if caught...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :crazy: :clap: :wtf:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 501outlaw »

I have a friend that his wife works for the gov and she can watch everything any of us is watching on our computer screen. Even if you listen to music she can hear it too. Freaky!!!!! I have a piece of tape over my laptop camera
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

501outlaw wrote:I have a friend that his wife works for the gov and she can watch everything any of us is watching on our computer screen. Even if you listen to music she can hear it too. Freaky!!!!! I have a piece of tape over my laptop camera
Hell I wear tinfoil hats.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

501outlaw wrote:I have a friend that his wife works for the gov and she can watch everything any of us is watching on our computer screen. Even if you listen to music she can hear it too. Freaky!!!!! I have a piece of tape over my laptop camera

It's not only the gooberment some are worried about. No offence to anyone. But I would rather not have some figure out where I was. Then have them tell people and at some point you will have some kid show up at your door wanting a bottle. After they done told their whole school. What do you do then? Just sayin you can't be to careful.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 501outlaw »

Prairiepiss wrote:

It's not only the gooberment some are worried about. No offence to anyone. But I would rather not have some figure out where I was. Then have them tell people and at some point you will have some kid show up at your door wanting a bottle. After they done told their whole school. What do you do then? Just sayin you can't be to careful.
I hear on that mr p. I have two or 3 buddy's that I've been friends with for years that know what I do O and my mom. Anybody else ask I'm making applebutter
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have suggested this several times over the years and have even gone so far as to PM members to ask them to include at least some geographical reference for benefit of the rest of the membership... We don't need a street address or GPS coordinates, just a rough guesstimate on the globe... Texas, Alaska, NE US, France, NZ, AUS, Iceland... You get the idea... If the law wants you they'll find you regardless...
wendellbaker
Novice

Post by wendellbaker »

Apple butter, eh? Well done. What do other people "do" in the garage for hours at a time when people ask?

My mom was so proud of me, she was telling her friends, I had to put a stop to that. Gotta love the woman though...
I'm not satisfied, and that's exactly why I'm so optimistic."
-Wendell Baker
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 501outlaw »

wendellbaker wrote:Apple butter, eh? Well done. What do other people "do" in the garage for hours at a time when people ask?

My mom was so proud of me, she was telling her friends, I had to put a stop to that. Gotta love the woman though...
You could always say your not gonna buy bottle water when you can make it yourself. Or your distilling lavender
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I think it's prudent to keep your whereabouts vague, but lets get real. If the government really wanted to shut us home distillers that participate on this board, they could. They have the technology to easily track our IPS address. By using an Anonymous Internet Access service like Patriot Internet Anonymous software it would make it a little harder, but only a little easier. The Carnivore system, which was replaced by something better, gave the government the capability to monitor almost 100% of the wireless and internet traffic and hit on key words (primary terrorist and money laundering related). it would be very simple to add distilling terms. IMHO, the reason they haven't is that they don't consider us a threat worth going after. I suspect they have much more important things to worry about. BUT that can change. IMHO, the best thing we can do is basically abide by the rules of this forum and if you are going to distill, do it in small amounts for your own use, do it safely, don't broadcast it and above all, never, never sell. Don't think the ATF, ABC whoever doesn't have someone monitoring these Forums.

BG
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Prairiepiss wrote:

Well of course my family knows what I do, but most of my friends do as well, but it's never an issue because I have made it perfectly clear to them that I do this hobby for my own personal enjoyment, I do not sell, so don't even ask. So...it's never been an issue. Now as far as my neighbors go, I keep my curtains closed.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

boda getta wrote:I think it's prudent to keep your whereabouts vague, but lets get real. If the government really wanted to shut us home distillers that participate on this board, they could. They have the technology to easily track our IPS address. By using an Anonymous Internet Access service like Patriot Internet Anonymous software it would make it a little harder, but only a little easier. The Carnivore system, which was replaced by something better, gave the government the capability to monitor almost 100% of the wireless and internet traffic and hit on key words (primary terrorist and money laundering related). it would be very simple to add distilling terms. IMHO, the reason they haven't is that they don't consider us a threat worth going after. I suspect they have much more important things to worry about. BUT that can change. IMHO, the best thing we can do is basically abide by the rules of this forum and if you are going to distill, do it in small amounts for your own use, do it safely, don't broadcast it and above all, never, never sell. Don't think the ATF, ABC whoever doesn't have someone monitoring these Forums.

BG
+1
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Scotty72
Novice

Post by Scotty72 »

Mud Mechanik wrote:
boda getta wrote:I think it's prudent to keep your whereabouts vague, but lets get real. If the government really wanted to shut us home distillers that participate on this board, they could. They have the technology to easily track our IPS address. By using an Anonymous Internet Access service like Patriot Internet Anonymous software it would make it a little harder, but only a little easier. The Carnivore system, which was replaced by something better, gave the government the capability to monitor almost 100% of the wireless and internet traffic and hit on key words (primary terrorist and money laundering related). it would be very simple to add distilling terms. IMHO, the reason they haven't is that they don't consider us a threat worth going after. I suspect they have much more important things to worry about. BUT that can change. IMHO, the best thing we can do is basically abide by the rules of this forum and if you are going to distill, do it in small amounts for your own use, do it safely, don't broadcast it and above all, never, never sell. Don't think the ATF, ABC whoever doesn't have someone monitoring these Forums.

BG
+1
+ another

I live in a city with about 5,000,000 others, so I guess it isn't too dangerous to display that info, but if I lived in a small country town where everyone knows everyone else and with whom they're all sleeping - I'd be far more careful.

In my case, about 5 people outside my family - including 1 cop (who herself partakes) - know. And I never, ever sell a drop.

My cop friend assures me that police generally don't care unless they get a specific complaint (usually a nosey, self-righteous neighbour) - or the tax office may ask the police to act if you come to their attention (usually because of large scale operations).

Scotty
forrestgump
Novice

Post by forrestgump »

I wasn't really suggesting that people put their street address.

Even Country, or State, or even Continent would help.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I think it's a personal matter. Best left at that.
I do all my own stunts
forrestgump
Novice

Post by forrestgump »

blind drunk wrote:I think it's a personal matter. Best left at that.
Totally agree. I don't think anybody would suggest mandating such a thing. I guess my suggestion could be just taken as advice that the facility is available for those that want.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Geez, sorry. I sounded like a crusty old snot :oops:
I do all my own stunts
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

blind drunk wrote:Geez, sorry. I sounded like a crusty old snot :oops:
:lol:

Some people are just like that. Tell you the truth I bet a lot of them don't even know you can change it. Let alone where you change it. But still it is what it is. To each his own.

I hope you can figure out about where I am with mine. If not to bad. :moresarcasm:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

wendellbaker wrote:Apple butter, eh? Well done. What do other people "do" in the garage for hours at a time when people ask?
making beer..... it's a true statement about the first half of my evening.... :mrgreen:
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

blind drunk wrote:Geez, sorry. I sounded like a crusty old snot :oops:
I didn't think that BD, and I'm sure most who read your posts didn't think that either.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt