opening a legal distillery in the U.S.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: opening a legal distillery in the U.S.

Post by rednose »

Very sad indeed, I hoped to visit UJ next year as I plan to see some Craft distilleries in USA.

That shows one time more how difficult it is to show the teeth to big boys. :(

Hope you have the chance to start over again one day UJ.

Joe
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Sad indeed, but good on you for giving it a try. You only learn by trying and everything you learned from this venture, you'll be able to use for whatever you decide to do next. We were all rooting for you. All the best, bd.
I do all my own stunts
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

It's all about that pioneering spirit. This is a undefined market/craft that's just getting started. Rest assured if this article is accurate it's not the last you've not seen of these folks.

I don't drink commercial rotgut bullshit. I seek out the best up and comers and that's what I buy.

I think every home distiller has a obligation to ask for and buy the products that their former home distillers colleges produce. These guys are putting it on the line. There is no money to be made in the micro distilling world, trust me I've looked into it.

Their doing it for the love of the craft. I love this craft with all my heart that's why I'm here. If you don't go out and buy a handcrafted artisan distilled bottle of alcohol on your next pay check after reading this post you don't deserve to be be on this forum.

Rubber Duck.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Zxlork
Novice

Post by Zxlork »

UJ,
If you ever get around too it I am sure that we would love to her the good the bad and the ugly about what you tried worked and didn't work. Who knows maybe your successes or failures can help others one day. But I do sincerely hope you get a 2nd run on day.
BUCK-O
Novice

Post by BUCK-O »

well that blows
what goes up must be alcohol
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

BUCK-O wrote:well that blows
That pretty much sums it up.

If a guy can't make a go of it in Chico it must be a really tough business.

If you've never been to downtown Chico on a Wednesday night it's a experience you need to have, midgets, tricycles, lots and lots of booze. 20 beers 25 bucks and a hangover you will never forget.

I was really looking forward to getting a bottle or two or 12.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well a bit of good news...for me anyway. I spent an hour talking to a guy who was on a show called "lions den" or something like that. It's an antreprenuer show and if you have a good idea there are millionaires there who will back your business plan or tell you it's a waste of time.
Anyway, he recently went on the show, got their blessing and for the last two years has been marketing a product. We talked about business and plans etc and he's willing to share his business plan draft and help out in some stuff without actually getting involved. One of my idea's he REALLY liked and said it would be a money maker no problem. (in short driving a small still in an enclosed trailer to the many wineries around here and making brandy. Drive in empty, wine in/brandy out, drive away empty) Just charge to "process" the brandy. They bottle/label/market/etc.
Anyway, he gave me a bit of a boost. Plan has slipped to the back burner as my mother passed away 25th May and I'm the executor. Lots of stuff on my plate right now but I just need to re-align and get back at it. He had a lot of good tips on what to say/how to say it.
Wife is fully on board now too.

just an update I guess....
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

GoinBroke2,
That sounds like a neat idea, putting a still on a trailer, but I think you had better check with the TTB before you make any big plans. In my case, if i move a still from one building to another I have to re-register the still. You can't just move things around even in your own facility. Might be a problem for the vintors having high strength alcohol on there premis also. Other than that I love the idea.

The Bohunk
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I agree with Bohunk... Having a still on a trailer sounds a bit "clandestine" to me, and probably the government too... Most permits and licensing require a firm address so they can do unannounced inspections... If they show up and find the distillery missing they might have more than a few questions...

And if I haven't already extended my condolences, I'm sorry to hear of your mothers passing, goinbroke2... Once your life is back in order you can make time for this and any other hobbies...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks Rad, it's been a shitty year. In 10 months I lost my father from cancer, my dog from being tore apart by a pitbull and my mother from a lung disease.

Sometimes life sucks but you can't let it get you down, I'm a Christian so I understand that they are not "gone" but just waiting for me. Sister took it ok but my brother was devastated. Unfortunately being in the military I'm not unacustomed to losing friends/loved ones. I understand it's a part of life and you have to move on. Not to forget them but not to let their death effect you in a debilitating way. Mourn the loss and move on as it were.

As far as the trailer goes though, my idea would be that I don't store or keep in anyway any alcohol. It's easy for a winery to get a distillers permit, different bond issues etc but the bottling/labeling/marketing is already there. The facility is set up, it's just adding a building to the farm or using an existing one. As far as the TTB, here it really is different than anything in the States. Here you can run a distillery out of your "garage" and you can live upstairs. Blew me away when I found that out as I was trying to understand US policies. Once I found a Canadian source it really opened my eyes. Plus, being in a poor province which is CRYING for any business, the government help out there is readily available.
Check out ironworks distillery. It was a house with a blacksmith's shop attached the same as a garage would be. They converted it and voila!
http://ironworksdistillery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Kiwi-lembic
Swill Maker

Post by Kiwi-lembic »

rubber duck wrote:It's all about that pioneering spirit. This is a undefined market/craft that's just getting started. Rest assured if this article is accurate it's not the last you've not seen of these folks.

I don't drink commercial rotgut bullshit. I seek out the best up and comers and that's what I buy.

I think every home distiller has a obligation to ask for and buy the products that their former home distillers colleges produce. These guys are putting it on the line. There is no money to be made in the micro distilling world, trust me I've looked into it.

Their doing it for the love of the craft. I love this craft with all my heart that's why I'm here. If you don't go out and buy a handcrafted artisan distilled bottle of alcohol on your next pay check after reading this post you don't deserve to be be on this forum.
-------------------------
good stuff R.D

Rubber Duck.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

anyone that is interested in opening a legal distillery and thinks about joining a form called american distiller Forum. Here are one of there rules... Scared me away.

WARNING: ADI does not condone the practice of distilling without the necessary permits. Illegal distillation is a felony! We have invited government participation in these forums, and If you do not abide by alcohol regulations this may not be the place you want to be. For more information on becoming a licensed distiller visit the TTB's website.
Rabies
Novice

Post by Rabies »

Don't be scarred away by that just remember to keep your head low and your mouth shut, as you always should with this hobby. I stop by every now & then to look over the help wanted section, there are usually legal distillers looking for people to run their stills, nothing big time, but most who are looking, are already legal, or in the final stages of legalization, and don't have the time or experience to use it. but enough of that they are a great source for people looking to go legit
There's a game called drinking - it's a lot like solitaire

Look poor, act crazy, and carry a gun. -Faint-Hearted
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Rabies wrote:Don't be scarred away by that just remember to keep your head low and your mouth shut, as you always should with this hobby. I stop by every now & then to look over the help wanted section, there are usually legal distillers looking for people to run their stills, nothing big time, but most who are looking, are already legal, or in the final stages of legalization, and don't have the time or experience to use it. but enough of that they are a great source for people looking to go legit
They are a great source....if your in the States. I was a member there but decided to just walk away. Tired of the continual (ARE YOU LEGAL??? IF NOT SHUT UP, YOUR NOT ONE OF US) Every single post is questioned because you don't have "XYZ Distillery" in your bio. When I received a PM, I said enough is enough and deleted all my posts there (about 12-13 or some rediculous low number) Said I won't be back until I am legal. But really, I'll have to be having serious issues before I'll go on there and ask a question again. It's much more personal and enjoyable to talk to other distilleries one on one. On line people tend to say things they wouldn't to your face. There is certainly a wealth of knowledge there as far as distilling goes, but the gov stuff and rules/reg's don't apply.
I guess I'm not one to get smug when I'm in the "in" group and exclude others. I fully understand/agree with their wanting to be seen as "THE" legal micro site, just some seem to be a little over enthusiastic.

Whatever, they certainly won't miss me and I'll read when I want and talk to local distillers if I have questions. (they are better to answer my questions anyway)
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

ADI Forums

Post by rednose »

I'm also member in ADI but rarely you find anything about "how to distill" as you suppose to know the basics when you sign up.

It treats more problems like bottleling, labeling, marketing, legal issues etc.

It's a great source for the legal ones between us, most communication is done by PM.

The idea of a mobile distillery reminds me on my Harley trips in France in the early 80th when I saw 'em.

They are/where used to distill in the fields, closed or in the fruit plantages to save transport cost.

Here a beautiful model in exibition:
mobile distillery.jpg
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I've seen questions on there that I've though WHAT THE?????
I can't imagine deciding one day to open a micro distillery, so I go and take a course then ask the back for huge bucks. I wouldn't take a autobody course then open a body shop with zero experience, or a garage, hell anything that requires a skillset. And yet guys over there do post some strange questions. I'm thinking MAN, if you don't know THAT!

But anyway, like I said, when I'm legal I might go back. And yes I've talked to a couple through PM and were very helpfull.
vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Post by vajravarahi »

Haven't been on in a long time.

Very sorry to hear about UJ's venture not working out. It's a sad fact of the business of legal distilling, a lot of upfront costs, and very difficult to get your product to the people that want it. The distribution system is locked up tight by the big wholesalers, or the state. Actually being in a control state isn't so bad if they allow special orders and you're in an area of lots of people. Virginia actually seems to be turning into a good state to start a distillery. Colorado is another good one because you can self distribute. So in the beginning you can work your butt off getting your product into stores (if your a good salesperson) and eventually a small distributor might take you when you can then have consistent sales. New York has been decent for starting a small distillery (not counting the licensing hassle, mostly in length of time) except for distribution, Even though self-distribution allowed, many markets in NYC are closed to independents. Ain't life a bitch, ya'know?

There might be some other states that are good.

If you like stillin', just know that the professional business is a different game.
cornsqueezin
Novice

Post by cornsqueezin »

A friend of mine who has been in the hobby for some time has applied for a license to do the same. Right know their problem is finding a building to set up in. He makes a lot of flavored stuff which would should do ok. Best of luck to you on your journey to being legal and profitable.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Uncle Jesse wrote: i hear it takes about 6 months minimum for the alcohol and tobacco folks to get a federal license to me...and that's not to mention the hassles of state and local approval and licensing.
How sweet it is. The guy by me said it took him 3 months. Hope your that lucky.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

What would folks here think the minimal square foot building space one would need if they were going commercial?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

And produce what product?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS wrote:And produce what product?
LWTCS, I sent you a PM on this not wanting to get into too much detail here as I have been approached by several individuals, one that has a 4500 sq foot building in a prime location. Am still a ways away from making any commitments.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Did not get a PM from you Sir....
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS wrote:Did not get a PM from you Sir....
I have sent you two PM's in the last week I will try again and see if I can figure out what is wrong.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bushman wrote:
LWTCS wrote:Did not get a PM from you Sir....
I have sent you two PM's in the last week I will try again and see if I can figure out what is wrong.
I got your email and responded back plus sent one did you get them?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Did you break the internet?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS wrote:Did you break the internet?
I used my wife's phone as she texts, it takes me forever! My email shows my PM's were sent is your box over the limit?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Over the limit?? Prolly. But thought the inbox would just over write and bump the oldest to make room for the next incoming pm?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

LWTCS wrote:Over the limit?? Prolly. But thought the inbox would just over write and bump the oldest to make room for the next incoming pm?
Nope... They'll stack up undelivered... Been there, done that...
granddad
Bootlegger

Post by granddad »

granddad here when it happens please post address& location so i can plan my vacation to your destination for a learning experience! &to congratulate you in person best wishes granddad