Android app testers needed

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

white_likker1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Android app testers needed

Post by white_likker1 »

I have created a small 2 link app for our site for android phones. I talked to Uncle Jesse and he wants some people to test it before putting up here for download. I need a few testers to check it out and report back to Uncle Jesse. If you are interested pm me your email or phone number and I will send it to you.
Chew on this: In 1920 During Prohibition, President Harding kept the White House well stocked with bootleg liquor.
Tater
Admin

Re: Android app testers needed

Post by Tater »

I think if Jessie wanted us to try it .He would of asked himself. Maybe he told you you could ask if anyone was interested I really don't know.Do know your gonna have hell time getting that info outta several here Id think But hell who knows . :lolno:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
white_likker1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by white_likker1 »

Per our conversation, Jesse and I, he said he would like a few people to test it out before it was made as a public free for all download. But if no one wants it, ok, no skin off my back. I was just tryin to help make it a lil easier to get to from our phones. That's ok I have it on mine and that's the one that counts, besides I would have to have some big balls to attach his name to a statement that he didn't make, knowing he would see it here and all.
Chew on this: In 1920 During Prohibition, President Harding kept the White House well stocked with bootleg liquor.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I'm game

BG
white_likker1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by white_likker1 »

So I decided to just upload it to mediafire instead of asking for personal info. If you want it just let me know and I will send you the DL link. I will only host the file for a few amount of people because we don't want it getting to everyone before testing is done. I have a couple testers now, just need a few more. All I ask is that if you do get it, to please report to UJ whether it was helpful to you or not.
white_likker1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by white_likker1 »

boda getta wrote:I'm game

BG
PM SENT
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

What does this app do? Is it just a link to the parent site and a link to the forums?

Andriod phones are already able to easily create those buttons themselves with no apps necessary. I have bookmark tabs on my homescreen that are buttons. I applaud you efforts, but, these things are already pretty damn easy. If you make it so it remembers login info that would be nice since this site is always making me re login. That would make it worth while.

I'm just curious as to exactly what it does.

I'd be interested in a rather complicated app. I want one that has fillable slots for run info that can be compiled and exported as an excel or word doc. Every time I switch jars I'd like a button to create a "lap" and then enter the info (ABV, amount). It should automatically calculate the ml/m speed by using timestamps along with amounts collected. I'm sure other info would be nice as well. Other things to add would be "Run name", auto dating, auto timestamps on laps, head temp, wattage (for electric),have it graph the ABV/Time on a line graph automatically for the whole run (so I can compare takeoff rates and how they pertain to my ABV and run speed on different runs), abv charge, time in reflux (for neutral), esterification reflux duration (for rums), coordinating blending charts for said runs (to be filled in when blending). Check out the app "Run.GPS" for exercise and you'll see something similar to what I'm thinking.

Keep up the good work.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

astronomical wrote: If you make it so it remembers login info that would be nice since this site is always making me re login.
The site, and the forums both require cookies to be accepted and properly used. If you have these disabled, then yes, things will NOT work right. However, I would be aghast if android browsing did not allow cookie's to be used. I have done a little testing on my daughters ipod, and even that POS little box worked. Even my crap LG phone (which is not even a smart phone), deals with it, but I have to connect through my PC, using blue-tooth to suck my PC's wifi.

It is very likely you simply have cookies force turned off on your phone.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
white_likker1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by white_likker1 »

astronomical wrote:What does this app do? Is it just a link to the parent site and a link to the forums?
Exactly, it is just a lil simpler than goin to your browser then scrolling through bookmarks to find it. Here you just open the app, click on either parent site or forums, then it logs you in. Providing your phone remembers login criteria as Husker stated. Super simple.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

white_likker1 wrote:
astronomical wrote:What does this app do? Is it just a link to the parent site and a link to the forums?
Exactly, it is just a lil simpler than goin to your browser then scrolling through bookmarks to find it. Here you just open the app, click on either parent site or forums, then it logs you in. Providing your phone remembers login criteria as Husker stated. Super simple.
The cookies have nothing to do with the 'login criteria'. They are used to store session variables, and other state information. Once logged in, these cookies are sent back and forth. Thus, if cookies are working, you do not see these long params (sid=32_character_hexstring) within the php param values. If your browser does NOT do cookies properly, then the php code will 'try' to build URL's with this sid= string in it. However, it will NOT be smart enough to be able to do this across sessions (usually). Also, it is far from perfect. It is much better to properly have cookies working.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Well, I've tried to download the AP. No luck, not quite sure why. I'm not very tech savy. Its a good idea to have a quicker way to access the HD forum. Got me to thinkin.... so I just went into my bookmarks page on my DROID2, AND MADE HD FORUM MY HOME PAGE!!! Now, with just one click, I'm in....I'm sure it took u some work to build the AP, and I hope it helps folks, but I found a quick way that works for me... thank-you for the effort.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
staggerlee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by staggerlee »

No offense, but loading my browser and selecting this bookmark takes about 5 seconds. Unless it offers something more, I don't get the point.
Kiwikeg
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kiwikeg »

nice work but with only the 2 buttons.is it any different from bookmarking the page? its got potentual but needs more work. thank-you 4 the opportunity to test it and for your effort.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If it doesn't actually DO anything then I guess it doesn't qualify as an App...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Stillernz wrote:
...Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=65167
coalminersgrandson
Novice

Post by coalminersgrandson »

I'll give it a go. I love the Android platform.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I have this site always open in a tab on my browser. When I want, I just open the browser and select the tab. It never asks me to login and I don't have to go to bookmarks or other links or apps. Simple.