iPad/iPhone App?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hendecp
Novice
Location: Planet Earth, western hemisphere, in the "lower 48"

iPad/iPhone App?

Post by hendecp »

Ok, I am probably opening Pandora's box with this one, but has anyone thought of an iPad/iPhone app for this forum? Just a question... I spend a lot of time on my iPad working and love to constantly cruise the forum. I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of this. I did a quick search on this forum for a topic, but did not get any results.

Homebrewtalk has an app..... Just sayin.....

I would be eternally grateful if some smart developer would come up with one..... :D
Wherever you go, there you are..... But, where am I and how did I get here???
moonshine guy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: iPad/iPhone App?

Post by moonshine guy »

Well what I did was open the index page up in safari and bookmark to home screen! I open it up and touch all new post and read away! No app needed!
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

True. Plus it's nice to be in safari to search for and post links when making references.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
hendecp
Novice

Post by hendecp »

I know, I know.... As I have this bookmarked as well! One thing that an app would enable you to do is upload pictures :thumbup: . You cannot do this with the Safari page.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

<Cough> :twisted:

Use the right tool for the job... :lolno:
hendecp
Novice

Post by hendecp »

rad14701 wrote:<Cough> :twisted:

Use the right tool for the job... :lolno:
Rad..... I'm a newb in more than one way.... Enlighten me if you would please sir....
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

FWIW... I really LOVE the app for Homebrewtalk.com
Maybe talk to TxBrew and see if he'll sell it to us?
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Someone was asking for Andriod testers for a forum app not too long ago. I don't believe he/she got much response but that's a start.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... it=andriod
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

First off,

I would like to warn people (sternly warn them), that running arbitrary applets, jobs, tools, from unknown/untrusted people/companies, and providing these tools with login credentials (user name, site location, password), is NOT something that should be done. It would be very easy to write a small app/tool that does a few things (like auto log in, scour new posts for you, etc), and provide some 'usable', albeit semi-trivial benefits, yet do some work you do NOT want done, such as emailing your user credentials to someone.

I would not recommend using apps, tools such as this, unless they are from some person/company you trust, and also being an OPEN source (meaning the programming source is released), and even then only after several other smart but disinterested parties have had time to peer review, to make sure there is no 'unwanted' things going on within the app.

Just my $.02 worth, but it certainly IS something that people looking for these type app's should worry about.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I've used the Jeep Forum app. Personally I don't like reading on the phone, it's too small, but to each his/her own.

I have no problems with someone developing a legit app for homedistiller on iphone or android.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.