My 9 year old's still idea!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: My 9 year old's still idea!

Post by Dnderhead »

you will thank so when he goes to school and says this looks like daddy's still.
Frosteecat
forum scribe and editing bitch

Post by Frosteecat »

Clever boy! I shudder when my kid refers to me as a "moonshiner". Ugh.
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
 William Faulkner (1897-1962)
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Nice picture! My kids know I make beer. This is perfectly legal over here.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

I tell my kids I make beer as well as it is hard to hide the 7 gallon fermentors. they have never seen the still and action and I hope they never will until they are adults. the last thing I need is for my kid to tell his friends as school that daddy makes moonshine. :wtf:

Big Cheese
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think kids don't know what a still is. And what it is for. I decided I could not hide it inside the house. So I hid it in plain sight. Everybody thinks that making beer is already pretty exotic, so they (kids & their friends) for sure can imagine I need some fancy equipment. It works.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

I thought about the same thing Odin. I just figured my kids know what beer is and looks like. I figured if they saw what was coming out of the still they would realize that it was not beer.
Rockall
Novice

Post by Rockall »

I tell my 6 year old I am doing a science experiment. I may have to switch to making beer soon. He pretty much is by my side also from after work to bedtime.
Bonjimmi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bonjimmi »

My youngest one thinks I am making wine... you know the white wine not red...lol
You want me on that wall...... You need me on that wall...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

My daughter Lauren (10yrs) said,,,,,,"wheres the parrot?" :?

Kids?,,,,er smarter than ya think.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Then she say's "Daddy can I post my still?"

Little moonshiners
Attachments
Lauren's Still.jpg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

She is doing the smurf dance now Tyse.....hahahahahahahah
demetroy
Novice

Post by demetroy »

that is cute lwtcs and im making beer as far as my little one is concerned she don't really see much of it in the happening
another one you could tell them is that your purifying water for the beer if u make beer that is if u make beer
but i don't like lieing once kita is old enough ill educate her and tell her why i do it (no its not because of the prices) but until then i just tell her its for the beer
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Ya my 21 year old had a still idea too.
Sneak dads mini fire extinguisher boiler and his hextopous off to college with him.

He lives off campus in a 3 family he bought with his "paper route" money freshman year.
12 bedrooms = 11 roomates x 4 years and the mortgage is fully paid with $200 a week in spending money.
Oh is that why he's a business student.

At least he know the rules and tosses his foreshots and makes good cuts.
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

What????? You let him get the Hex-toe-Puss ?
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

LWTCS wrote:Then she say's "Daddy can I post my still?"

Little moonshiners
Good Lass - can see from the pic she is distilling keg sized no pissy little table top crap :wink:
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

rockchucker22 wrote:Pretty fricken smart!!!

Wait till he hits 12! he's got some good tutoring. I bet your proud of that.

Just look at the designs Larrys girl is pumping out. 12 years old and she wont ever have to suffer store bought crap. Thats pretty bloody good Lauren! I tip my hat to you.

The making beer excuse works well for me too. At this stage I only have to cope with "whats all this stuff in your shed daddy?" and "why do you have to go out and do jobs in the shed dad?"
"Just makin beer darling."
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Took the winter off was so darn warm all winter no snowmobiling no skiing no chilled air stillin almost dried up and blew away from boredom. :yawn:
:think: Then I remembered that I put my dads 54 Willys pickup in storage and promised him I would get it running someday.
Weelllllll.... you know me just can't get it running and leave it at that < day 1. :ewink:
So that has turned into a full frame off restoration. :wtf:
Frame was stripped, sandblasted, patched, reenforced, painted (4 coats POR)
Then transmission, transfer case, and axles were totally rebuilt. Engine is at the motor shop now being mic'ed and readied for a refresher.
So far all within tolerances so looks like a clean and re-gasket job.
Did the springs, shackles, shocks, u-bolts and hangers next.
Then the brakes, all new lines, master and wheel cylinders and shoes and drums.
Steering box and linkage re-build. Carb rebuild. New gas tank and fuel line. Clutch and linkage rebuild. Wiring harness replacement. Generator and Starter rebuild. Distributor rebuild. Radiator flush and recore. Fuel pump rebuilt. Vacuum wiper motor rebuilt.
Just ready to start on the cab and bed next.

So I did keep a little busy.
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Mario84
Novice

Post by Mario84 »

still crazy wrote:He lives off campus in a 3 family he bought with his "paper route" money freshman year.
12 bedrooms = 11 roomates x 4 years and the mortgage is fully paid with $200 a week in spending money.
Oh is that why he's a business student.
Nice! :D
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Gota say that still drawing looks better then some I've seen. :mrgreen:
Maybe mine included. :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I got two boys, 14 and 11. To them I make "wine". The 14 yo has figured out I make whisky but he knows he has to keep quiet about it. Never referred to as moonshine though.
Just another "thing" I do in my garage. They both know not to talk about what I put in my truck (furnace oil, veg oil, etc)

I grow my own veggies, have rhubarb and horseradish growing, heck I try to push the "self-reliant" and "anti-government" as much as I can.

They understand the worst thing a person can be is lazy or a burden on society. (The dream is not in the form of a government cheque)

If making bread was made illegal tomorrow...I'd be guilty of that too. I use my own common sense, not neccesarily "what the gov dictates is right or legal". I do my research and ensure I'm safe doing whatever it is I do.

Love the pic's of the Still, good job to her!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
stillin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillin »

I normally have 5-10 gals of wine makin at all times so I just tell em I'm makin wine. My 14yo is more interested in Xbox and girls to take much notice, but my 10yo still thinks its cool to hang with dad and likes to ask questions. I never refer to it as anything but wine within earshot of them and i always run late at night so i dont get no suprise visits from their friends or anybody else.They'll figure it out soon enough though! I always say "don't treat kids like there stupid cause they ain't!"
"If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough"--My dad
FantsGrove
Novice

Post by FantsGrove »

My 14yo is more interested in Xbox and girls to take much notice
by the time college hits it will still, haha, be xbox and girls but moonshine will def. catch his attention. i remember when i found out my godfather and dad's best friend was stillin', i couldnt get enough of the product or being there to watch it run, you can learn alot of life's lessons waiting on a long evening run with your elders
Distilling is like Fly Fishing. Sometimes you get pissed and get ready to break your s**t, till you remember how much its worth.