Oysters and Jalapenos?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Oysters and Jalapenos?

Post by RumBrewer »

Hey, just watched the video (Bottom of this page http://www.bigkahunabrew.com/2012/06/once-in-while.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) and started thinking....
Does anyone pre-package something like a bloody marry with booze already in it?
What would happen if you put oysters in your hooch? Would they rot? Would stand to reason that the likker would sterilize and preserve the oysters.
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oysters and Jalapenos?

Post by Odin »

... yes, but what is the point? I live close to Zeeland, where some of the best oysters are harvested. The fun in oysters is that you eat them alive. Raw. Maybe sprinkle some lemon juice on them to make 'em "alive and kicking" before swallowing them whole ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

hard alcohol will make shell fish harden up like rocks.
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

Odin wrote: Maybe sprinkle some lemon juice on them to make 'em "alive and kicking" before swallowing them whole ...

Odin.
Love them raw... adding some hot sauce and lemon! But I chew the little buggers up! Seems like a waste to just swallow them like a bird!
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oyster shooters, now your talking my language!
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

Dnderhead wrote:hard alcohol will make shell fish harden up like rocks.
NOT what I was hoping to hear!
But I suppose you are correct! rigamortise and such!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Rumbrewer,

I sorta find a middle way: chew some of them up, let the others just glide in. Learned to eat oysters in France. Father of my French girl friend explained me how they were still alive. And that a real "gourmand" could feel them twigle for a moment in their stomach, before they die. And that they had to be eaten whole for that. Guess I am no real gourmand, because I don't feel them swim around in my stomach ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Oysters! I'm agen em. I was traumatized by an oyster as a child. :roll:
I'm goin the distance...
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Odin:
Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on your French guy. I doubt there's anyone on this forum that has eaten more raw oysters than I; during my 60 years of eating raw oysters I've never seen one even twitch, much less twigle or wiggle. I suspect after the trauma of being popped open at the hinge, then having both abductor muscles being cut that they are dead when you eat then. But we must remember, the guy is French ;>)

BG
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Used to go to Johnson Island with friends as a teenager, catch a boat coming in, buy a sack and spend the day on the beach drinking beer and eating oysters. A 1/4 lb stick of butter in 1/2 a beer makes a great dipping sauce. Amazing nothing bad ever happened on the drive back home.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Boda Getta,

Yeah, I guess you are right. But it isn't just his impression. Many folks over there say that is the aim: to swallow it and feel it kick around.

I like to tell the story, I like to eat oysters, I never felt the kick inside. He did teach me how to appreciate oysters, and I am greatfull for that. Even though he is probably not very proud of me still not having reached the French Gourmant Nirvana ...

Odin.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Odin:
I learned my appreciation for oysters from my Father; he started feeding me raw oysters when I was 5 - 6 years old. He had an old refrigerator in the garage that always had a bag of oysters in it during the winter. When I refer to oysters I am generally referring to Apalachicola Bay, FL oysters and preferably from the Indian Pass area of the bay. I have been buying them right off the oyster boats at Buddy Ward's 13 Mile oyster processing house at Indian Pass for many years. We better enjoy them while we can; the government is doing everything it can to do away with eating them raw. Two years ago they put into effect serious restrictions on the time of the day they can be harvested, ect. and the word is they will continue to until eating raw oysters will be a thing of the pass. If it comes to the time when I'm unable to legally buy them, I will take my boat down and get my own.

BG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just steer your boat in my direction, and I will throw in some geneva!

Odin.
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

Odin wrote:Many folks over there say that is the aim: to swallow it and feel it kick around.

Odin.
Try goldfish?
cwalker
Novice

Post by cwalker »

RumBrewer wrote: Try goldfish?
Haha this reminds me of when I was a kid. My parents ball team would host a softball tourney every year. Anyway, this one year they had goldfish races in the beer garden, 10 lanes, couple inches wide... you get the idea. Well after it was all said and done on the last day as they were cleaning it up one of the guys in the beer garden yells out "ill give ya $20 to eat on of those". Without hesitation he picks one of em up and throws it down the hatch. Of course this catches the attention of everyone in the beer garden and within 5 minutes everyone throwing money down on the table. Long story short,all the goldfish had disappeared and he was up close to $600 if I remember right.