Things small and flying...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

peanutaxis
Swill Maker

Things small and flying...

Post by peanutaxis »

I wonder why it is that everything small and flying seems to be suicidally attracted to all things mashing and fermenting?
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Things small and flying...

Post by BrooklynTech »

peanutaxis wrote:I wonder why it is that everything small and flying seems to be suicidally attracted to all things mashing and fermenting?
Cause they like the smell just like we do. :D
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Some of those small flying things are prolly fruit flies, they can carry a yeast on them that will turn yer wash into vinegar...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

peanutaxis wrote:I wonder why it is that everything small and flying seems to be suicidally attracted to all things mashing and fermenting?
Dinner Time!!

I hang no pest strip directly over my mashing/ferment areas.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I have not fermented in the house in a long time for that reason. Fruit flies love the smell of CO2 and will appear from nowhere. In my shop I don’t care.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That's the beauty of distilling in the winter, now I got to start thinking about those critters even a copper mesh over the parrot doesn't always work.
beowoulfe
Novice

Post by beowoulfe »

I've had issues with these things and this is what I do. (I make Kombucha and the fruit flies think it is crack cocaine.)

Apple cider vinegar
Dish soap
A jar or small bowl or old beer bottle

What You Do:

1. Pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into a jar or small bowl.

2. Add a couple drops of dish soap to the jar.

3. Place in the area where you've seen the fruit flies, and wait for the trap to do its job.

Why This Works:
Fruit flies are attracted to the smell of the vinegar, and will attempt to land on its surface. However, they're in for a surprise – since the dish soap breaks the surface tension of the vinegar, the fruit flies fall in and drown. Say good-bye to that annoying swarm!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain
FantsGrove
Novice

Post by FantsGrove »

thats how i trap em beo....in a pinch use red wine with the dish soap works just as well...for some reason white wine isn't their style...snobby little *BLEEP* :silent:
Distilling is like Fly Fishing. Sometimes you get pissed and get ready to break your s**t, till you remember how much its worth.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

They were all over my run tonight but I only saw one at the bottom of one of the jars, will take a better look in the morning!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

beowoulfe wrote:I've had issues with these things and this is what I do. (I make Kombucha and the fruit flies think it is crack cocaine.)

Apple cider vinegar
Dish soap
A jar or small bowl or old beer bottle

What You Do:

1. Pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into a jar or small bowl.

2. Add a couple drops of dish soap to the jar.

3. Place in the area where you've seen the fruit flies, and wait for the trap to do its job.

Why This Works:
Fruit flies are attracted to the smell of the vinegar, and will attempt to land on its surface. However, they're in for a surprise – since the dish soap breaks the surface tension of the vinegar, the fruit flies fall in and drown. Say good-bye to that annoying swarm!
Tried this in the kitchen for two days and didn't get a single fruit fly but have a thought. After making cuts I had 9 fruit flys dead in the bottom of the various mason jars that I had to strain out. Today I am going to put a cup of heads by my fruit and see how it works.