Fores and Fire Ants

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hawk_
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fores and Fire Ants

Post by Hawk_ »

I have a couple of jars of fores. I also had a recent invasion of fire ants in the back yard where the kids play. Well my thought worked out great. I poured 100ML of one of my fores bottles down the ant hole and let it sit for a good 10 seconds to soak in good. Lit it up on fire. Now the fire was invisible. I could feel the flame, just couldnt see it. I could see the shadow of the flame from the sunlight but the flame could not be seen. Everything around it burnt to a crisp and the mean ol ants are now gone. Well at least for the past few hours anyhow. Crossing my fingers they wont be back.

Anyone ever try this before?
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Washashore
Distiller

Re: Fores and Fire Ants

Post by Washashore »

Ant bully :moresarcasm:
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
qball
Swill Maker

Post by qball »

You could at least have let it down there a little longer and let them have a good time before torching them to death.

Meanie!

LOL
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Been using fores for fire ant killer for a while and it works. Don't need the set it on fire step, but it does add some drama. Fire ants are wingless wasps and are tougher and stronger than ants. An ant can lift 7 times it's weight but a fire ant can lift a 200# man into the air.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

next up make a circle of sugar syrup or anything really sweet around the ant hole wait for all of them to come home then torch it so you get every one of those nasty little buggers.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Hawk_
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hawk_ »

heartcut wrote:Been using fores for fire ant killer for a while and it works. Don't need the set it on fire step, but it does add some drama. Fire ants are wingless wasps and are tougher and stronger than ants. An ant can lift 7 times it's weight but a fire ant can lift a 200# man into the air.
The fire is not needed? OK, That says alot about our product.

But the fire is the fun part. LOL
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I have a really bad infestation of ants in my house and yard. I can't use strong pesticides due to pet birds. I haven't tackled the ones outside because I would like to drive the ones in the house out. Then go for the yard.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to use? I've been using this stuff hats a mixture of a sweet syrup and borax. It worked pretty good in one area. But the other they just eat the crap out of it. And keep coming back for more.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Karo poison. It is a sugar based something. Does not kill ants right away. Lets'm carry a loads of food back to the queen, and then the poison kills that bitch, and shortly after, the colony collapses. With birds around, I would look carefully before using anything.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

That's what I have been using. They have been eating it for a month now. I put one drop down and its gone in an hour.

And that's my problem. With tje birds around I'm scared to use anything. especially anything with an odor.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Put ant bait in a fastened to the ground chicken wire box or havahart trap- it'll stop the birds but not the ants.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

part of the problem with birds and using ant poison, isn't so much the poison itself getting eaten by the birds (but that certainly IS a problem if they do eat it), but it is birds plucking up and eating ants that have been poisoned but not yet dead (or simply eating the dead ants). That poison will collect in the birds, and become very bad for them.

I have had karo work before. Not sure what to suggest if that is what you were using. It is about as safe as you can get with poison and animals.

Do you know where the colonies are at? If so, the fumes from heads do wonders.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I haven't found them yet. Kinda hard to follow them through walls and floors. :(
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

pfshine wrote:next up make a circle of sugar syrup or anything really sweet around the ant hole wait for all of them to come home then torch it so you get every one of those nasty little buggers.
thats just plain nasty .... lol next you will be burning them with a magnifying glass...
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

PP- I have you tried animal safe diatomaceous earth sprinkled around your house? I sprinkled some around my house and got rid of a nasty fly infestation (I dumped my backset in the drive way and there were hundreds of flies in that spot for weeks). My chickens got into it and didn't seem to affect them at all.

My dad also swears by the borax/sugar remedy and makes traps using upside down empty tuna cans with holes drilled in 'em.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

sounds funny but windex works great just spray it where the trails are it kills them and destoys the scent trail.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

This is the stuff I use:
http://www.ecosmart.com/products/
It's made up of concentrated plant oils. So concentrated it kills the buggers on contact and smells like mint extract so it's actually plesent when sprayed indoors. I got it at the local home store. Not sure if the strong mint smell would be better or worse for your birds but it works great killing bugs.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Durace11 wrote:This is the stuff I use:
http://www.ecosmart.com/products/
It's made up of concentrated plant oils. So concentrated it kills the buggers on contact and smells like mint extract so it's actually plesent when sprayed indoors. I got it at the local home store. Not sure if the strong mint smell would be better or worse for your birds but it works great killing bugs.
I will check it out when I get home. Thanks Durace11. That's the kind of stuff I like finding and using. Kinda like the garlic spray I use for maskitos in the back yard. I like the stuff that's made from natural ingredients.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

I think the trick with the borax and syrup solution is to get the concentration right. 50% will kill the little buggers quick but 10% will give them time to take it back to their nest and kill all of them. The biggest problem ive found is that there are way more nests than I ever thought possible. I use bottle caps from water bottles and put out lots of them. Works great. For awhile. Not sure what it does to birds though, never had a problem that Ive noticed.

Where do you get diamatateous (sp) earth for the flies?
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

diatomaceous earth is used for swimming pool filter medium (among other things), might get a lead at a pool supply
heartcut

W. H. Auden
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

heartcut wrote:diatomaceous earth is used for swimming pool filter medium (among other things), might get a lead at a pool supply

http://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Eart ... B00025H2PY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This fossilized skeletons of tiny aquatic organisms. When untreated, the razor sharp edges of this mined product scratch the exoskeletons of hard bodied insects, making them susceptible to fatal attack from natural organisms in the soil. Application rate: Dry: 1 lb. per 500 sq. ft. Solution: 2 tbs. per gal. of water. As a food supplement for pets: 1-2% of food volume.

SAFE TO EAT: http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow