How much do you spend on booze?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

What would your alcohol expenditure be for the month?

$0-$50
77%
$50-$100
8%
$100-$150
No votes
$150-$200
8%
$200-300
8%
$300-400
No votes
$400+
No votes

Total votes: 13

eviljesus
Bootlegger

How much do you spend on booze?

Post by eviljesus »

Hey guys,

It's recently come to my attention through a variety of methods that I probably spend far too much on alcohol per month. I've never really noticed, nor has it been a problem. I have just set myself a few new financial goals I would like to achieve in the near future which means I need to budget! I am usually pretty frivolous with my money and haven't really paid any attention where I've been putting it until now.

So my question to you is, how much do you spend on alcohol per month? This includes ANYTHING and EVERYTHING alcohol related. Copper, fittings, scrubbers etc beer taps, gas, brewing supplies, new equipment, brew club membership fees etc. Pretty much anything and everything. Also included is any money spent local pubs/breweries or social outings attended where the primary goal/function is to facilitate a good liver bashing. This isn't just distilling but beer too. Anything and everything.

To make it easy to copy paste, I've included the following:
Alcohol Related Expenditure: Total(ish): $
Brewing/Distilling Gear: %
Brewing Supplies: %
Other Memberships/etc.: %
Social Gatherings/Outings: %
I've included a poll as well, in case members don't want to delve into it too much/cant be bothered and just want to put their say in.

I know this is quite broad and sweeping, but I am really struggling to find a good balance for progressing in this hobby and staying stagnant doing the same things over and over all the while keeping up with whats going up in the brewing world, both socially and palately-speaking, taste wise. If you need to buy something big and expensive, do you wait and allocate some 'alcohol' budget to it and cut back in the following months, or do you just jump in.

I realise some members may not be comfortable posting this sort of info out which is completely understandable, but if anyone would like to jump into fray, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Evil.
Samohon
retired

Re: How much do you spend on booze?

Post by Samohon »

I spend nothing, nada, zero... Looks like everyone is saving a little with this hobby EJ... :ewink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Alcohol Related Expenditure: Total(ish): $20
Brewing/Distilling Gear: %
Brewing Supplies: 100%
Other Memberships/etc.: %
Social Gatherings/Outings: %

+ maybe 2 bottles of good bought wine per year and a bottle of commercial absinth every 2 years. think i've maybe bought 2 pub beers in the last year.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
eviljesus
Bootlegger

Post by eviljesus »

Samohon wrote:I spend nothing, nada, zero... Looks like everyone is saving a little with this hobby EJ... :ewink:
You dont buy any supplies to make washes etc?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I spend less in a year, all in, on commercial booze and ingredients and such for distilling my own spirits than I used to spend every night in bars... Can't put a number on it but I used to spend a lot... If it wasn't for my winnings on the pool tables I never could have afforded to spend as much as I did on drinking...
eviljesus
Bootlegger

Post by eviljesus »

rad14701 wrote:I spend less in a year, all in, on commercial booze and ingredients and such for distilling my own spirits than I used to spend every night in bars... Can't put a number on it but I used to spend a lot... If it wasn't for my winnings on the pool tables I never could have afforded to spend as much as I did on drinking...
I am conjuring up a few absolutely wild nights in there hahah