How many have you helped

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

How many have you helped

Post by jus teasin »

When I joined about a year ago there were only about 9500 members.
there are now just over 13000. Thats 3500 in a year. since I started I have helped 7 others get started. If everyone has had similar expieriences that would mean there would be about 24000 new hobby distillers a year just from members of home distiller.org.
If this is true I dont think home distilling can go unnoticed for long.

Just a thought JT
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: How many have you helped

Post by LWTCS »

jus teasin wrote:If this is true I dont think home distilling can go unnoticed for long.
Definitely some movement going on.....
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I can't speak for the rest of the world But in Oz they have chosen a time when ppl are really struggling to further burden everyone with the carbon tax and then increase the tax (a lot) on smokes and alcohol. that leaves ppl with 2 choices, don't drink or drink what you can make.
I would hazard a guess that stilling in Australia has increased by more than 100% in the last 12 months. These days you can walk into a HBS and everyone in there is after distillation products, just 4 or 5 yrs ago you simple didn't see that, it likely made up less than a 10th of there sales. Thats my take on things anyway and I've long ago lost count on the number of noobs I've helped in one way or another either in person or on the forums nor could I count the number of ppl who have helped me
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

There was a large influx from the stupid moonshiners show. Seen a lot of them show up. Ask how much alcohol could you get from a bunch of bananas. And how much more alcohol would you get by adding sugar to the still.
Then they disappeared never to return. :roll:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

I know of one hbs that uses 1/2 tonne of sugar a week also theres a supermarket in the same town that goes threw 1 tonne a week and i bet its not all for cooking :oops:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Oh its for cooking alright,,,,,,,just not for baking. :D
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

LWTCS wrote:Oh its for cooking alright,,,,,,,just not for baking. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one larry : the little checkout chick in the grocery store in this little red neck joint stuffed me for words when she said hmm more sugar and yeast , see ya bought no flour again and winked busted big time
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
TheGyno
Novice

Post by TheGyno »

969 and counting :mrgreen:
I have to deal with c___s all day every day so they call me the gyno
Hey I'm not qualified but I'll look into it for you.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

LWTCS wrote:Oh its for cooking alright,,,,,,,just not for baking. :D
I bought 64lbs of sugar over the weekend. All in 4lb bags. Hey it was on sale @ $1.79. I'm just stocking up for my sweet tea. While its on sale. :mrgreen:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Horses-n-Hooch
Novice

Post by Horses-n-Hooch »

PP thats funny. was a sale down here last week. wife got irratated cause there was a 4 bag limit and I sent her back 3 times.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

:lol: I made two trips. :thumbup: :lol:

Bad thing is that's enough for one batch of all bran. I wish I could go get more.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Im helping one build now and two more get their arse :lolno: s off the couch and into the garage. :lolno:
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

I go to costco and get the 20kg (45lb) bags 2 at a time, nobody blinks! I've got one guy building a still, and 2 trying to buy my old one. And a couple more tossing the idea of building around. I have my landlord, who was wiring the garage for 220 anyways, offering to have a welder I could borrow to upgrade my current setup! This hobby is contagious, especially after they taste the product!
pistachio_nut
Swill Maker

Post by pistachio_nut »

I've helped one guy get started. I sold off my old still to him and upgraded. Looks like he's going to help me upgrade my boiler... we're all better off than we were four years ago.
Not typically one to floss
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

I'm gifting my 2" pot still to a homebrew friend who is interested in learning and giving my Mr Distiller to anyone who wants it as I reduce my load of junk. I'm getting ready to move in the next few months. My flute is going to be modified to run as a pot(plates removed), flute or reflux(plates replaced by packed section) all in 4" so that will be my only still(s).

I guess that's one person so far... :wink:
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Durace11 wrote:I'm gifting my 2" pot still to a homebrew friend who is interested in learning and giving my Mr Distiller to anyone who wants it as I reduce my load of junk. I'm getting ready to move in the next few months. My flute is going to be modified to run as a pot(plates removed), flute or reflux(plates replaced by packed section) all in 4" so that will be my only still(s).

I guess that's one person so far... :wink:
To me, there is no need to remove the plates, just run a little faster, and I have 5 w 180 1/16 holes each.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

King Of Hearts wrote:To me, there is no need to remove the plates, just run a little faster, and I have 5 w 180 1/16 holes each.
For a pot I assume? I really want to play with a packed column so I'm going to give the lava rocks a go and see what it produces. As far as the pot action I would probably just run it through the lava rocks/plates and not use any reflux. Pot mode would mainly be a stripping tool or just for a change of pace. Got to keep my options open and having an all-in-one unit provides flexibility to do whatever I want with my different washes.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P