Cane Syrup making

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cane Syrup making

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Just thought I would share it....We just finished making this years cane syrup, had great weather for it and great company. The sugar cane that I had left over is now comfortably at home in a 15 gallon keg fermenting away...I think I may finally have this rum thing figured out ( I'll post more later on this one ), I'll also post up some pictures of the syrup making as soon as I can get them off of the camera. I finally got to meet someone off of this forum and I have to say that I enjoyed sharing stories and showing off some shiney copper and such, I hope one day to visit his neck of the woods and repay the visit...he will remain annonymous unless he chimes in here but the personal meeting experience will be a new friendship. He also took some sugar cane to plant his own for next year. Pics to follow.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Durace11
Distiller

Re: Cane Syrup making

Post by Durace11 »

I am getting more and mroe interested in rum making, currently I fear the dunder pit but I do like a dark & stormy!
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Cane Syrup making

Post by WalkingWolf »

Mud Mechanik wrote: I finally got to meet someone off of this forum and I have to say that I enjoyed sharing stories and showing off some shiney copper and such,
My son and I took a road trip over to MM place for his annual syrup making and it was quite an experience. We have tried for 3 years now and finally made it happen. From feeding the cane into the crusher, to straining the juice, to cooking it down, it was a lesson from a bygone era. Multi-generations of family and friends gathered together for a common cause and welcomed my son and I like we were neighbors from down the street.

It was nice to see someone else's equipment and hear the corresponding stories that went with each piece. Of course the best part was opening the liquor locker and sampling the goods. Had a nice smooth, mildly spiced rum that is an excellent straight up sipping rum. The other was his neutral -- at 80 proof you could drink like water. I'd never had liquor from a reflux column before and man is this stuff clean.

As MM mentioned earlier, it was nice to finally meet up face to face with someone I had corresponded with for 2-3 years now. We look forward to future gatherings as well.