Did you notice? MoonFakers is back on

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Did you notice? MoonFakers is back on

Post by RumBrewer »

I hate this damn show, but I continue to DVR and watch it!
Last night they thought they had "Bad Mash" and were getting "Low Proof" shine at 65% flowing from the "Worm" about like a garden hose with 50 gallons of wash!

People BELIEVE THIS SHIT! Small wonder we can't get any progress in legalizing Home scale distillation!
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
Usge
retired

Re: Did you notice? MoonFakers is back on

Post by Usge »

Yep RB. We noticed. 100-300 users a night banging out questions. I've spent the last few days just going through the unanswered posts list trying to get caught up.

As to the show..yea I saw that. That was Jim Tom, helping those guys. When the storm was coming up..they stoked the fire way up to keep it from going out or the rain cooling the still too much and of course..it ran off the wash like a strip run.
The other thing that always got me was continual references to "pure alkihaul" 190 proof. If I had a nickel for every supposed jar of 190 proof. You put a stick in it...and it's more like 95 proof. They also mentioned a couple times...adjusting the heat to hold the pots boiling temp to 173 so you get pure alkihaul. hahahaha. Good luck with that!

Did you hear JimTom's stories about elves that live in the woods? hahahaha. Pure Irish folklore. You put a swang outside...and you'll hear them just-a-swnanging late at night.
Clearwater
Bootlegger

Post by Clearwater »

Hey now, those elves are real.... in his drunken imagination....
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

Naw, hold on now ! ! !
I see them elves often ! ! ! ! !
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I don't rightly see them. Iffin you did...they wouldn't be elves. But, you can hear them just a whangin away in them woods sometimes. JimTom also said..."woman asked him the other day...ifin the Elves were born full size or like tiny babies?" I just about spit my drink across the room.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I spend an hour a week yelling at those fucktards... :lolno: Those shows do nothing but thwart our honest efforts to demystify distillation in an effort to prove that it can be done responsibly at the hobby scale...

Elves hatched from eggs...

Digging a stilling pit in clay right beneath where hundreds of people will be milling about and perhaps driving vehicles... 10 inches of clay over corrugated steel isn't gonna cut it... And grass isn't going to grow overnight in clay soil...

And who in their right mind would ever appear on television making illegal moonshine while talking about going legal... Seems to me that you've already incriminated yourself whether illegal spirits are found or not... It's enough to hold up in court just like video of committing other crimes...

I could go on and on... Virtually 100% of this series is pure bullshit...
new moon
Novice

Post by new moon »

was watchin a rerun from last season other day,..ol tom an tickle fixin lynn arm leaks with duct tape,...useing boiler as a mash pot an cooking it off with all the solids an erry thing,..an it sposed to be high dollar likker....right,right...cool part is,..that va atf offercer keeps rideing round roads not to far from my home on the show!! was on smith mt lake last episode...
wine is fine,...but likker is quicker!!
rgarry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgarry »

Yeah, I was reading about that show where they bid on the storage bins (?storage wars). Looks like the only guys are the ones from the show, the rest are extras. Also, local stores put things in the bins, to have them appraised at their store. The auctioneer came up with the idea for the show. I enjoyed the show before I found that out. For the vast majority, hey have no idea that what they are watching during Moonshiners is BS. Probably more enjoyable that way.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Americans spend far too much time, and falsely believing fake, and often scripted, reality television... Has anyone ever stopped to wonder why the setup for impending drama is always caught on camera from several different camera angles...??? And why many of those shows have a cast member as a producer...??? Kris Kardashian, Gene Simmons, Matt Roloff, and the list goes on... They decide what gets released and then they probably do some staging in order to make the show flow in the right direction... And the average viewer just gets sucked into the drama without a second thought... Sorry to have burst some bubbles out there... Well, maybe I'm not... :lolno:
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

But we all know The Walking Dead is for real, right? I mean if you've ever been to Atlanta it's full of zombies! :P
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
BokaBakla
Novice

Post by BokaBakla »

Might have to check it out never seen the show (barely watch any tv). My sister was trying to tell me about it, she lives out of state but it sounded so crazy. She said one of the guys was blowing likker out his blowhole and lighting it on fire.. I was thinking drama. I saw storage wars one time while in a hotel- thought it was interesting but the guys seem like they don't do anything good in the world outside of bikering with each other over a storage bin :moresarcasm: One guy supposedly found a gun from the civil war and sold it 25k.. The bs meter went off :D Who would leave that in storage and not pay the bill!
Famous last words.. They get what they get and they like it too!
schume
Novice

Post by schume »

new moon wrote:was watchin a rerun from last season other day,..ol tom an tickle fixin lynn arm leaks with duct tape,...useing boiler as a mash pot an cooking it off with all the solids an erry thing,..an it sposed to be high dollar likker....
Don't forget the water... that dirty creek water getting poured into the pot that hasn't been cleaned or sanitized. There's no control over the fermentation temps, etc. I can't understand how they have less than x hours to have the booze ready to go. Somehow, a few hours later, they're running off the last of 80 gallons. I like how he was trying to teach his kid the craft, but when it came time to light the still, that's when the boy had to go home. Too dangerous! The announcer then talks about the sacred ritual of lighting the still. There's so much I have yet to learn... :crazy:
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

schume wrote:The announcer then talks about the sacred ritual of lighting the still. There's so much I have yet to learn... :crazy:
The real ritual requires a coven of 13 20-something wiccan gals dancing around a circle (around the still) all sky clad. That is how the 'really' good $150 a QT shine is made.

Pass me the styrofoam cup, please! Need to really enjoy what they have made. :sick: :sick:
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
new moon
Novice

Post by new moon »

schume wrote:
new moon wrote:was watchin a rerun from last season other day,..ol tom an tickle fixin lynn arm leaks with duct tape,...useing boiler as a mash pot an cooking it off with all the solids an erry thing,..an it sposed to be high dollar likker....
Don't forget the water... that dirty creek water getting poured into the pot that hasn't been cleaned or sanitized. There's no control over the fermentation temps, etc. I can't understand how they have less than x hours to have the booze ready to go. Somehow, a few hours later, they're running off the last of 80 gallons. I like how he was trying to teach his kid the craft, but when it came time to light the still, that's when the boy had to go home. Too dangerous! The announcer then talks about the sacred ritual of lighting the still. There's so much I have yet to learn... :crazy:
yeah i seen that one to,..thought same thing bout his son missing the best learning of the craft...that one still the other 2 guys got looked so flimsy it probably rupture if it was filled with a wash...its a good show for chits an giggles,..but the script writes dont have a clue an the actors just playin the roll
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

what I read was yes the show is just that a show and put on to git money to start a legal distillery? true or not don't know.
but then its just like most you fiend on the net or the books available to the public ,some facts mixed with fiction.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Husker wrote:The real ritual requires a coven of 13 20-something wiccan gals dancing around a circle (around the still) all sky clad.
Now that's why I got into this hobby! J/K, of course! :wink:
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
new moon
Novice

Post by new moon »

Dnderhead wrote:what I read was yes the show is just that a show and put on to git money to start a legal distillery? true or not don't know.
but then its just like most you fiend on the net or the books available to the public ,some facts mixed with fiction.
yeah its just a show,...theres a interview of tim on youtube where he's up in new york,..he says he ant made no real likker in over 5 years,..lil fact,lil fiction,lil myth,...keeps the average viewer interested!
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

Discovery was running a marathon today, apparently. I came in from doing the real deal, turned on the TV, and saw this stupidity. I've never really watched it much before, and decided to catch a few minutes for a lark. What a joke! :roll:

The preview for one episode was a real hoot. One duo is afraid their batch isn't going to be high enough proof, and they only have a day or two to sell it. The show never mentions they can just run it again! Another "shiner" says his stuff is "well over 150 proof", and takes a huge gulp of it without flinching... :lolno:
Burks
Novice

Post by Burks »

All these shows are scripted. Moonshiners, Storage Wars, American Chopper, Deadliest Catch, etc. It's a little bit of truth mixed with some scripted drama and a dash of staged danger. Eventually someone comes out and calls BS from the show.

I'd rather watch Moonshiners than Gold Rush.

"We're goin to frickin get it this year."

"Dad is a frickin legend"

"1000 frickin ounces. This is the world's best frickin trommel in the world"

Fairly certain I can run a band of idiots better than Todd can. I can't stand him. I'd rather listen to Parker cry and bitch all day.
TOAD
Bootlegger

Post by TOAD »

So yea, Tim an Tickles still Literally has more holes it it than if revinoors found it. But what do yall think of Josh an Bills still? Not the "lets dig a hole" bit, the actual still.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. Lamb Of God

KCSO- keep calm, shine on
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

TOAD wrote:So yea, Tim an Tickles still Literally has more holes it it than if revinoors found it. But what do yall think of Josh an Bills still? Not the "lets dig a hole" bit, the actual still.
going to have to catch up to answer. I suspect an all stainless still with thumper could be damn cool!
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
new moon
Novice

Post by new moon »

RumBrewer wrote:
TOAD wrote:So yea, Tim an Tickles still Literally has more holes it it than if revinoors found it. But what do yall think of Josh an Bills still? Not the "lets dig a hole" bit, the actual still.
going to have to catch up to answer. I suspect an all stainless still with thumper could be damn cool!
its mostly stanless 55 gal drums,..2 bigger ones on ends an a lil one in middle with all sorts of fitting,...sposed to be some sorta high vapor/steam still....the stills ol jim-tom an them useing look nice but seem too flimsy to me,..id think a thicker copper one be less lickly to rupture...but what do i know...
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Looked like to me a basic pot/thumper setup.
TOAD
Bootlegger

Post by TOAD »

Cant remember what style hey said it was but i believe it heats the mash by circulating heated water through a stainless steal worm in the boiler. Might be a good way to keep a steady temp in the mash and avoid scorching. Everything looks to be sealed with T-tape and im willing to assume the brass is pickled. I havent seen the condenser yet, nor have i seen any copper. Side note: i wonder if they have an ethenol permit and they are just putting on like moonshiners. Ether way, i find this season much more entertaining than the first one.

Honistly i would love to make ethanol to run in my motorcycle(im not that advanced yet) But i wouldnt get the permit because i dont want anyone snooping around my business for any reason. Even the meter man calls me before setting foot on my land.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. Lamb Of God

KCSO- keep calm, shine on