Sometimes failure is success.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Sometimes failure is success.

Post by Kidnapper2 »

Not too long ago I attempted my first AG. I have this very annoying personality complex that leads me to believe that I can do things differently than the thousands+ before me have and get the same or better results. Yes, I am an idiot.

So it didn't work out, didn't want to waste the grain, threw it in with basically a birdwatchers. This 6 gallon wash sat around at least 2 weeks longer than it needed to. I threw together a 6 gallon gerber cuz I like it and it's fast and easy and didn't want to run just the 6 gallon AG/Birds in my keg.

The result is hands down the finest liquor I have ever made. The hearts of this are simply amazing. Run started at 180 proof, collected all the way down to 80 proof. The stuff collected at 140-160 is heavenly. Sweet, smooth and just a single run, I did reflux for quite awhile using my 2" offset nixon.

Problem is, there is no way possible that I could ever recreate my success. Because I simply do not know where I screwed things up the 1st time.

So yes, I am an idiot, but I at least have a couple of superb jars of liquor to ease the pain.
*It should be observed, that neither age or double distillation, will render good, whiskey originally bad; or that has recieved an improper flavour during the fermentation. From The Distiller, by Harrison Hall 1818.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Sometimes failure is success.

Post by Bushman »

This story is a good notice to keep notes. I don't when making a regular like UJ or Birdwatchers but mixing and matching requires good documentation at least until it becomes a regular.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

When I started this hobby I would take notes of everything. But it is not my nature to take notes, hell I can't remember where I left my pen & paper. Now I have no notes at all. I could discover the Higgs Boson particle and not know how to do it again. :shock: But like you said " but I at least have a couple of superb jars of liquor to ease the pain." :thumbup:
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

One thing outside of the notes, exact measurements. This ain't making cookies, a dash more of this and taste. Also I need to be way more patient, I'm the kind of guy that thinks a microwave is slow. I'm getting there, letting my washes truly clear out. And since this heavenly tasting failure. I will no longer try something new without complete notes, that I will transfer to computer copy immediately, cuz I will lose the paper they are written on within hours.
*It should be observed, that neither age or double distillation, will render good, whiskey originally bad; or that has recieved an improper flavour during the fermentation. From The Distiller, by Harrison Hall 1818.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

I would be interested to know what "didn't work out" in the initial ferment. Do you know anything about "lactic ferment???"
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

What went wrong in the AG was I didn't cook my flaked corn enough and I am pretty sure I put the 6 row in when it was still way too hot. And as for the lactic ferment, I understand the basics. But not being of scientific mind, I have to screw things up a few times before I get it :?
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Oh great, you had to comment "I'm the kind of guy that thinks a microwave is slow." now you've got me thinking "microwave boiler" :think: will my mind ever rest? LOL!
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.