butter and brown sugar

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mogur
Bootlegger

butter and brown sugar

Post by mogur »

I hate veggies. But my partner loves veggies. I do all the cooking, so she really misses her veggies. I just put a lot of brown sugar and butter on whatever we have on hand, and I'm a hero. If duct tape doesn't work, sugar and butter will. Meanwhile, my meat and potatoes are secure. Does life get any better?
Sex is like mowing my lawn. I hate it, but it's the only exercise I get.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: butter and brown sugar

Post by Dnderhead »

there are a few things i do that to,,cook carets,slice lithe wise the "fry" in butter and brown sugar.parsnips are another.
this I call candied.most veggies i like as is,steamed with butter.or in a boiled dinner,like ham and cabbage,pot roast.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

You can make anything taste good if you add enough brown sugar and butter.

BG
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I can't really understand hating veggies...

Many years ago I worked in a fancy restaurant. The chef used to say "Sodium plus fat equals flavor."

True...

But hating veggies?

If you are hating veggies you are doing it wrong... :lolno:
this is the internet
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I like my veggies,,did not when my mother cooked them(every thing was cooked until it curial up like a old shoe) but found ways to cook so I do.
mogur
Bootlegger

Post by mogur »

Cooked veggies are the dregs of eating, they taste horrible (other than corn), and their texture is abysmal. Fresh veggies are the opposite. They taste wonderful, and their texture is awesome. Turnips are gawd awful. I would rather suck the gonads out of a live sea urchin than eat a cooked beet. But, your opinion may vary, and I hope it does.
Last edited by mogur on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Sea urchins have gonads? :wtf:

tp
mogur
Bootlegger

Post by mogur »

Only the lonely. :crazy: I am in a minority with the dislike of cooked veggies, sorry. A big hand for those that can eat anything. More beets to you.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I gotta agree with mogur. Give me fresh crunchy veggies any day! Except collards...in a smoked ham hock broth, bit of celery, shallots, dash of black pepper....just had that earlier this week.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am the cook also. Have you tried steamed vegees and cheese? If there is something specific your mate likes and it you want to put it on here. In food and likker there is magic to be made. Well sometimes.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

IMHO almost any veggie cut to uniform size, tossed in olive oil, kosher salt and pepper then roasted in the oven at 400-425 until crispy is pretty solid. Green beans, cauliflower (with a ton of peeled whole garlic cloves ), zucchini, squash, asparagus, carrots and brussel sprouts in particular seem to do very well. For carrots sometimes when they are all crisped up I'll take them out and toss them in maple syrup and red pepper flake then back into the oven to caramelize....I could eat my body weight in those...
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

My go to is real close to that. Olive oil and garlic salt in pan coating vegeees over real high heat. If looking for a something with a crust like potatoes it is the same except oven on broil and turn 3 or 4 or 5 times. Butter and brown sugar fixes the rest of everything like carrots. Cook them down untill they are sticky.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Yes for sure, sometimes there is something magical about pan frying asparagus in clarified butter..... Now I'm hungry and can't wake the babies banging around the kitchen..... Damn you ;)
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Funny you should say that. You posted at 1056 I cooked asparagus at 8. Butter sounds good. My kids first time they saw asparagus said I ain't eatn that. I said you don't have to, no problem. You do have to have a taste though. I put the best end on a fork and handed it to each one. The first one that put it in their mouth grabbed the plate (1LB) of asparagus and said mine all mine. Then they started to fight on who was gonna get the entire plate. They 4 and 6 year old ate the entire pound. I cut them in 2 in size pieces and put them in a hot frying pan that has olive oil in it and then I flip (what flipping looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRtGM3f-UBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ) the asparagus to get them coated. Then I put garlic salt on them real heavy and keep flipping them. I like a little crunch so casue I am the cook the eaters gotta eat them the way I like them. I know they are done by eating one and knowing they are done. 5-6 min on high more or less. The big key is DO NOT GET the big asparagus the smaller ones are tons better. My wife is a picky ass eater and has to smell everything she eats. She can't smell. She loves them also and everyone that has eaten them loves them. I dump on a plate and there is always extra olive oil with garlic salt on it. I don't do it but some people will take bread and sop up the garlic olive oil left. Give it a shot. Tell me if you like it or not.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I cook a 4-5 course meal every night, and garden asparagus is everyone's absolute favorite. I'll cook it the same way as halfbaked on a cast iron griddle. :thumbup: Freaking delicious!

If you don't like veggies, then you must be doing it wrong...