Moonshiner's

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

b_omeara
Novice

Moonshiner's

Post by b_omeara »

Popular TV show Moonshiner's has caught my attention. Pretty interesting show, but is it real? Doesn't make sense that they are alway runnin from someone that ain't there.i know shine's illegal but if you we're producing as much as they are, wouldn't it make sense to own a little piece if your own land, instead of getting caught by a random hunter or the law? :wtf:
620rossco
Swill Maker

Re: Moonshiner's

Post by 620rossco »

Yeah its all a real life documentary.
You could learn a lot from them...or not.

Kid'n right? :wtf:

Tickle for President

http://www.everybodygetsasip.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
3"pot, 3"LM/VM, modular hybrid bubbler.
b_omeara
Novice

Post by b_omeara »

Man once ya think there's something interesting to watch on tv it bites ya. They make some stupid mistakes too and as dangerous as liquor can be, makes ya wonder who's hurt themselves out there because of it...
Poseidon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Poseidon »

The problem is if you do it on your own property you lose that property when you get caught and we all know you usuall get caught when people start talking so you'd have to be really quite about it.....
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

If he wasnt a complete idiot he would have my vote on the basis of legalization.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Clearwater
Bootlegger

Post by Clearwater »

A lot of hostility towards this show and I halfway get it. I find it entertaining much like someone would watching wrestling. You know it's not real, but you find yourself immersed in the story.
Burks
Novice

Post by Burks »

I love to watch it but always keep in mind it is pure entertainment. It's fake (mostly). Tim had an interview that he himself said he hasn't made moonshine in 5+ years.
501outlaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 501outlaw »

The show is not good for your average person that don't know crap about shine and wants to build a still !!!! The two idiots that is building the underground still shows the world that regular carbon gas pipe can be welded and used to make likker. That is what hurts us as a hobbiest and makes us look bad. When some dumbass builds one and someone gets hurt its not gonna make things any better for all of us ....
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Rebelboi
Novice

Post by Rebelboi »

What about collecting in plastic jugs? Seems like a lot of moonshiners with high capacity stills do this, yet everyone condemns it?
Give a man a bottle of whiskey and he will drink for a day. Give a man the knowledge to make a bottle of whiskey and he will drink for a lifetime.
COOKINSUMTIN
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by COOKINSUMTIN »

entertaining... sure. I myself have gotten a good chuckle out of it but its like wrestling.. staged.
they wanna know....whacha makin?? ahhhh nuttin..just cookinsumtin
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Burks wrote:I love to watch it but always keep in mind it is pure entertainment. It's fake (mostly). Tim had an interview that he himself said he hasn't made moonshine in 5+ years.
Yea because his probation ends in 7. :lol:
It is what you make it
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Rebelboi wrote:What about collecting in plastic jugs? Seems like a lot of moonshiners with high capacity stills do this, yet everyone condemns it?
Because high proof alcohol will degrade plastic in no time flat, then you will be drinking that plastic
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Personally I hate the show. It has done more to bring moonshining in the open, but in a bad way than anything else.
I'd love to see a show about distilling like they do wine shows or beer shows. You know, "this week we are in Georgia visiting x,y and Z micro distilleries, here is Bob from X distillery. Hi Bob, can you explain...." I would watch a show like that.

Wrestling is a good analogy, probably real wrestlers were furious when it went to entertainment much like nascar or dragracing.

If you want entertainment, I've been watching Boardwalk empire or whatever it's called. Got the first three seasons for Christmas. All about prohibition, gangsters, likker, Al Capone is in it when he first started out as a driver. I also got the movies Lawless and The Hatfields&McCoys....hmmm, seeing a trend here...ya think Santa knows something about me? LOL!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I think that the show is one of the best and worst things to happen to this hobby. It has brought heaps of people into the fold of distilling doing it the right way and we need everybody on our side if we are ever to get it legalised. Unfortunately it also makes the ignorant to this hobby think its all a bunch of idiot hillbillys makin moonshine while I just want to make the best possible drink on earth(to much to ask for). as well as the dangerous things they do with bad materials. All and all I think the show is a wash between the good and the bad.
304SHINER
Novice

Post by 304SHINER »

I agree with most here. It is good for entertainment purposes but bad for reality. Who in their right mind would spend 2 years digging a hole to bury your still in and then televise it for the whole world to see where it is? That alone shows that this isnt real. On one hand it does bring publicity to the art, on the other hand it brings publicity to the art..haha.. If it were some of the true shine making people like I know, it wouldnt be bad because they take pride in their product and their equiptment. None of the "artists" I know get drunk, climb on top of a make shift structure, then fall off trying to jump in the back of the truck and break a few ribs. The entertainment value of the show is ok, but the educational value is what scares me. Hopefully people dont think that this is the way shink is really made because if they do I forsee the local E.R.'s being rather busy. :ewink:
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

I actually watch it sometimes just to see what kind of idiotic crap they come up with, but i think its probably bad for the hobby cause it makes it look like all shiners are just in it for the money and are a bunch of backwards idiots and politicians wont take a chance on something if they think someones gonna get hurt so if they think thats how all shiners are there will never get a hobby level passed.
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hi all,
I agree with Moonshiner, you will never get it legal in US
unfortunately, programs like that only hurt us, I want to move to NZ.
I dont watch tv, I refuse to watch 24/7 shit and have to pay a licrnce fee. I really hope/wish that it could come right for you all
sorry
i was replying and got the name wrong, my mistake, sorry Moonshiner, no offence meant or intended
Luceo Non Uro
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

ole boy totein likker with a tail light out

so im tole
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

You can't make illegal whiskey for sale on TV and get away with it. You just can't. I bet they'd be able to nail the crews for aiding and abetting... remember years ago HBO did a special on some guy in Northern California (Placerville? I forget) who was doing MDMA and raving and had his kids involved (including having his 13 year old son get high if I recall correctly). His ex-wife nailed him to the wall for custody and then the cops busted him big time. Had all the proof they needed since he was on film "rolling".
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

yup hollywood

so im tole
DasFriek
Novice

Post by DasFriek »

Ok, I have something to add to this discussion.
First and ill find out, But imo they have nothing but water in jugs and jars on the show.
Except Popcorns excerpts from his documentary as im rather sure that was real.

Jeff and Mark have taught me a few things and have at least sparked some interest new to my shine making knowledge with new ideas.
Sure i could have learned about Rye whiskey here, Or about how barley is malted and used to naturally ferment.
Also recipes that work when you cant get corn, sugar or even yeast is good knowledge to have when the day may come that i cant afford it or the world no longer has it.

Secondly, The guys on the show are good guys.
I say this as later this month several are donating their time for a local fund raiser, Which sold out too fast.
I hope to be able to sit down and talk with one or ALL of the guys and ladies and see what they say to me that will add to my knowledge or spark more intriguing subjects.

I cant say exactly WHO will be there, But ive heard reports that 4-7 of the cast members will be there.
No offense Deputy Chuck, I hope to not see you that night! But any other day would be good. :)
Yes i know im not giving many facts, But what do you expect when i have a life to live also and don't need unneeded attention over it.

Yes, I think Tickle couldn't tickle himself out of a Tickle Me ELMO toy box.
Id never use plastic jugs Tim, You cant make me! When you go legal sell your stuff in plastic so the taste is consistent from your illegal likker.

Ill say im a Yankee transplant recently to the mountains and have met many new people.
I learned most of my distilling knowledge from this site, But i NEVER pass up an opportunity to learn.
People here don't look at moonshiners like they are portrayed on the show, Its a TV show! You must be smart and willing to give up some privileges most of us take for granted.
Here, Liquor can be bartered for many things where cash would only be used normally. And trust me they don't like crap liquor.

This show has sparked a new industry here as legal moonshine of many varieties can now be purchased at the local ABC store.
That in itself is a good step imo as you cant get arrested with a half bottle of legal shine, Or worry about what some idiot put in it or distilled it in.
So it forces everyone to consider taste and quality and improved sanitation and safety.

Yes the show can make some things look bad for all of us, But i feel they have it in the open for all to see what goes into the not so easy job of making liquor.
Ghost
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ghost »

Over heard some guys at work talking about the TV series ( I will not name) and they were discussing the best way to go about building a still. One says the other he can get his hands on a lot of galvanized parts and the other says he has a food grade 55 gallon drum. I had to say something, so I mentioned that I think you would need to use SS or copper in the vapor path - one of them says nah man, I saw it on tv and those two guys that dug a hole were using galvanized and stuff on their setup. So yeah it does lend some negative stuff but then these two guys arent all that bright( kind of like those two on tv) I directed them to some helpful info and hopefully they will heed the advice.
Forbidden in Heaven and Useless in Hell ....
DasFriek
Novice

Post by DasFriek »

I in no way think the "Steam" still as a great way to distill, It is something cool to look at. Distillers have enough things to deal with besides your hot water tank exploding.
I also looked at the pipes on that still, Im kinda lost as to what is used piping wise.
Luckily, It will be the first thing I ask Josh about, Yes i said a name. But in this topic only he can answer this question.
Ive NEVER seen SS tubing like they are supposedly using. It is a TV show tho.
But Bill and Josh know that certain materials cant be used in a still, So i don't know what they used.
I also have seen 2" and iirc 4" copper pieces they could have used instead.
I cant EVER see Popcorn using the carbon steel still they supposedly removed, But ive also heard his "Shine" was nasty compared to what most here would make. This was found out talking to people who drank it.

Ghost, Id say you did the right thing and only hope those guys read up on safe distilling practices.
Its 4 days before the benefit, and im anxious!
But it does go to show that some people will make "Anything" as long as they can sell it.

I dont distill for profit, Just my own use. Out of all i think what Mark and Jeff make what id drink and like.
And by goodness Jim Tom makes a still id love to own.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

A guy asked me today how I check the alcohol content.
Here's our conversation;
"you have a guage or meter or something"? Yes I said, a spirit hydrometer why?
What is yours at?
I always drop my to 40%
I drank some of a friends on the weekend and it tasted like medicinal or something. drank a whole pint and it was like having 3 beers. Very weak.
Did he tell you what it was?
He doesn't check it.
Did he do cuts?
I don't think so, he said he thows away an baby food jar full at first then catches the rest.
Don't drink that crap, tell him to go to homedistiller or online somewhere and learn how to do it right.
If I get some more will you bring in your thing?
Yes, but give his back or throw it out, I'll give you a quart, take it to him and share it.
K, thanks

This conversation made me realise that in the dozen or more people I've met who distill, NOBODY knows what cuts are, and NOBODY knows what's right/wrong to use/etc.
Since everybody isn't dieing or "going blind" it might not seem an issue to some but I think it's a damn shame if not a crime that there are so many misinformed people out there doing something so stupid just because it's "illegal".
Damn it, public's health should be more important and people will distill right or wrong whether's it's legal or not.

If anybody knows the story about "jakeleg" then you know people will drink damn near anything if there's no likker and only when large amounts of people start showing up at hospitals does it get attention.

Sometimes I want to scream that it's no harder than making homemade bread or canning vegetables, why the hell is it illegal for personal consumption??? What if people were canning carrots and getting sick because of improper canning? Eating mold or whatever..

Rant over, just after hearing (and reading) that some people believe that stupid show I think is really doing society damage.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
lovePitbulls
Novice

Post by lovePitbulls »

I do love this show, not gonna lie. Distilling is something ive always been interested in. Im a beer enthusiast myself, but once the show came on it definately sparked my interest back to learning more about distilling. Not to mention, all my friends make their own beer..so I wanted to change it up. I love the characters on the show, and its pretty suspenseful at times. There is no doubt in my mind that they all know what they are doing. To my knowledge, this series is real and fake. Mainly re - inactments of situations that have happened in the past. What Im interested in now is to find out the validity of tonights season finally. Did Jeff really get arrested? And when was the arrest? Thats how I will know whether or not it happened in live action and filming or whether or not it was a reinactment. All in all, I will admit, the show has got me into this new hobby of mine. I will agree though that it may have caused more problems then it has helped. Yes, I want to distill...but I always read read read and gather as much knowledge as I can before I do anything dangerous. Hope they come out with a Season 3. I love Jim Tom. I feel like I could just hang with that dude everyday. Haha.