Making Sweet Feed

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

islandrunner
Novice

Making Sweet Feed

Post by islandrunner »

Want to make my own sweet mix, If I add molasses to it, will it dry to the grain, which I want it to do and fermint later, Thanks
DasFriek
Novice

Re: Making Sweet Feed

Post by DasFriek »

Your asking for a major mess attempting that, Id suggest using molasses right from the bottle.
Ive mixed molasses with barley and ran it threw a food processor and it worked, But i gained nothing by doing it.

The sweet feed shine recipe is one of the easiest and tasty ways to make liquor.
But there is little grain and starch conversion that goes on in it as the recipe stands.

Sweet feed uses black strap molasses which is a lower grade than fancy molasses you buy in a jar, Ive read its not as ferment-able in the black strap form.
Personally i skip sweet feed and add molasses to other grain mashes as it gives a more complex taste and has more starches for conversion.

Here is a not so easy version i came up with using UJSM recipe and combining fancy molasses and a bit of raw sugar, Imo the extra flavors make the not so easy recipe much better than both separately.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=34856
Durace11
Distiller

Re: Making Sweet Feed

Post by Durace11 »

Just get equal parts corn, oats, barley and add a jar of molasses when you are ready to ferment. Why would you want to make it up before hand and store it until you are ready?
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P